Interstellar Suit - Share your ideas/research

I built the model in solidworks and it's 1 to 1 scale, I can export it to different formats, what format would work for pep?
It might be a few months too late, but I did figure out the file format for you guys! Pepakura viewer and designer can actually open up 3ds files and print them! Problem solved! Albeit long after it ceased being significant...

Another member asked for the files I created to use as reference for his own helmet in sketchup to be exported to Pepakura.
3DS a SketchUp.JPG
I expect a new thread from him on the helmet soon.

So I'm going to share what Ive done so far, I recently started building the chestpiece and the backpack (they seem the lease daunting than the actual suit part) and I'm mostly using EVA foam. I edited Captain April's chest template a little View attachment my chest template.pdf
and cut out the pieces from foam, I decided to try doing the middle piece out of cardboard and aluminum tape because it had to be thinner and I could easily make the indented area.
IMG_6809.JPG
Ill see how that goes when I wrap them with this vynel fabric I got
IMG_6806.JPG

For the backpack I just resized
Captain April's pdf to fit myself (measured from where the straps should sit on my shoulders) and made some measurements and made a bunch of little templates for the pieces
(after cutting and dremeling)
IMG_6812.JPG
I hope I can find time to start gluing together this weekend.

IMG_6809.JPG

IMG_6806.JPG

IMG_6812.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty good. Did you just heat the vinyl to shape it into the nooks and crannies?
No, I did it in two pieces, where I glued it to the top, thinner, hard piece, then applied hlue to the edges and pulled it over the edges
seen here:
IMG_3094.JPGIMG_3096.JPG
Then I glued the whole thing to the foam bottom piece. I thought about using heat but I was worried it would un-stick the glue

also, in person, the surface looks alot less bumpy

Dayereth, do you also plan on making the rest of the suit as well, or just the chestplate and backpack?
I would like to do a whole suit some day, but I think it will take time to find just the right stuff, and be a while untill I have the time, so Im just starting with those and I'll see how it goes, I definately think Im going to do the backpack with fiberglass though now

Here you can see the fabrics pretty well. I would say they're all nylon/polyester, the grey one being a semigloss nylon or polyester twill, the heavy white on the chest is just raw nylon fabric.

B0vyySlCUAEMKCO.jpg

Last edited:
Just a couple of days until the Blu-ray release, I have high hopes for behind the scenes and galleries for reference. Here's another addition to the suit parts.
Chest Nasa logo.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back