Interstellar (Post-release)

I'd love to see more footage of the model work, especially of the full size ranger and lander as those were absolutely spectacular.
Fantastic work.

Story below. The bit about using salt makes me happy!

“It was a very interesting-looking effect because it wasn’t a particle system, it wasn’t anything you’d expect to generate from an animation program. It was a strange physical phenomena we were catching."

This is like reading Cinefex in the eighties and it proves models
and practical effects are still powerful players for those that are wise enough to use them when possible.
Side note...I just saw this a third time
and made it IMAX this time. The sound system truly makes you feel the story and I mean emotionally, well worth it.
It's still playing a while longer on IMAX so hurry before the hobbitseseses take over. I was not bored with a single
minute of this film three times now.

Real and raw: the miniature fx behind Interstellar

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/real-and-raw-the-miniature-fx-behind-interstellar/

Last edited:
Story below. The bit about using salt makes me happy!

Dealing with it on set wasn't so happy, haha. Stupid wind kept shifting, We'd get everything lined up and ready to go, test it, then roll. Then the wind would shift on us.

This is like reading Cinefex in the eighties and it proves models
and practical effects are still powerful players for those that are wise enough to use them when possible.

Couldn't agree more. Wish more people thought so.

Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures’ “INTERSTELLAR” Crosses $100 Million Milestone in IMAX® Theatres Around the Globe
http://www.mysuncoast.com/entertain...cle_6a08e4ca-f37b-5dce-a94d-a5f0216521aa.html

If James Cameron had done this movie would it have already broken the all time record and been a better movie, or did Nola give us the best it could have been?

I liked the movie, don't get me wrong, but the tesseract he ended up in wasn't the explanation I was expecting. Seemed a little too surreal at that point.

One of Nolan's advantages is he leans towards realism, for me I can say that I am glad Nolan did this film and not anyone else. Reading Spielberg's potential version sounded like a mess for instance.

Cameron did Avatar. Nolan did this. Nolan forever.

Had Cameron done this film, 90% of it would have been CGI that would have looked dated 3 years from now.

I rather liked the original script that got leaked. Had a more interesting twist than what the final draft gave us.

-The Truth is Out There-

Cameron did Avatar. Nolan did this. Nolan forever.

Had Cameron done this film, 90% of it would have been CGI that would have looked dated 3 years from now.

But the ship would have been made out of Unobtainium and T.A.R.S. would transform into a mech with gatling machine guns. And there would have to be an overly exaggerated military character in the movie as well. So there's that.

Last edited:
Alright went to see it for the second time last night and I was more impressed this time. I caught a lot of what I missed in the first viewing. I love this movie.

Also, swgeek what is the RF-13D designator on the ranger? Also also, how does the lander compare to the ranger in size? I freaking love the rangers. They're so cool.

Also also also, I really came to appreciate the endurance spin scene this viewing. I realized how intense the scene was when I realized I felt anxious during the scene... even though I knew the outcome this time.

Also also also, I really came to appreciate the endurance spin scene this viewing. I realized how intense the scene was when I realized I felt anxious during the scene... even though I knew the outcome this time.

There are so many things I love about that scene. Granted I am a NASA nut, astronomy savvy and flyer so I am going to be predestined to appreciate a lot
so I have to be careful as "inside baseball" sometimes is in play for me on certain things.
But there must be more to it than that.
The score is astonishing, there are some choral portions that are as if 3 million years of humanity are
crying out for this moment where all we are and ever have been is about to end, the partnership of TARS and Cooper, this new AI
life we have created working together to save crippled Endurance from burning up. I am in love with Cooper's constant hands on piloting through the film,
So many clocks are ticking and converging. Endurance herself is this spinning clock even with 12 segments.
There are a lot of films where a single point of action in time will save all of humanity I know. I have seen them. But never in my life have I experienced it
so dramatically depicted.
Also when they are taking the last bold desperate acts of all main engines burns until fuel depleted on that last haulin' azz trajectory to salvation is
pure yeehaa.

I am without doubt that it will have impact over time
like 2001, or Blade Runner or all the films that endure and grow larger appreciation.

Another thing I came to appreciate more during this viewing was the ambient noises. The sounds throughout the movie were captured really well and really add to the immersion. A lot of movies dull down the ambient noise to focus on just the dialogue and that can sterilize a lot of scenes.

Also, swgeek what is the RF-13D designator on the ranger? Also also, how does the lander compare to the ranger in size? I freaking love the rangers. They're so cool.

Don't have any info on the numbers, they might mean something but I don't know. As far as size goes, full size, the Lander would be 69'ish and the Ranger is 62'ish.
For the spinning scene (I'm guessing you mean the rescuing of the Endurance scene) we shot most of that in camera, or at least I think we did. I'll find out they changed everything when I watch the blue ray extras, haha. But the Endurance and the Lander where on two different model movers, one to rotate the Endurance and one to move the lander under/behind the Endurance and then spin it to match rpms. There was also full size shots and of course cgi as well. a great mix of all the disciplines.

Last edited:
Mar. 31, 2015. Target gets a steelbook
16969926?wid=510&hei=510.jpg

walmart gets some goodies too
0003242921828_500X500.jpg

16969926?wid=510&hei=510.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...lu-ray-on-march-31st-extras-revealed-20150123

Warner Bros.
has announced that "Interstellar" will dock on Blu-ray on March 31st. The extras are plentiful and detailed below, but perhaps the most nerd-tastic little bauble to come with each set is a cell from the IMAX prints of the movie. Whether you turn it into an anklet or take it out once in a while and hold it up to the light and give it a good squinting? That's up to you. Check out the plethora of extras below and let us know if this is a must-buy for you. [Rope Of Silicon]

The Science of Interstellar - Extended cut of the broadcast special.
Plotting an Interstellar Journey - Discusses the film's origins, influences and narrative designs.
Life on Cooper's Farm - Bringing Americana and the grounded nature of a farm to a sci-fi space movie.
The Dust - Learn how cast and crew avoided sand blindness, and see how to create, and clean up after, a catastrophic dust storm.
TARS and CASE - Designing and building these unique characters and how they were brought to life on set and in the film.
Cosmic Sounds - The concepts, process, and recording of Hans Zimmer's unforgettable score.
The Space Suits - A look at the design and build of the suits and helmets, and what it was like to wear them.
The Endurance - Explore this massive set with a guided tour by production designer Nathan Crowley.
Shooting in Iceland: Miller's Planet/Mann's Planet - Travel with the cast and crew to Iceland and see the challenges they faced in creating two vastly different worlds in one country.
The Ranger and the Lander - A look at the other two spaceships in the film.
Miniatures in Space - Marvel at the large-scale models used in the explosive docking sequence.
The Simulation of Zero-G - Discover the various methods that the filmmakers used to create a zero gravity environment.
Celestial Landmarks - Explore how the filmmakers used practical special effects informed by real scientific equations to give the illusion of real space travel for both the actors and the audience.
Across All Dimensions and Time - A look at the concept and design of the Tesseract, which incorporated a practical set rather than a green screen.
Final Thoughts - The cast and crew reflect back on their Interstellar experience.
Theatrical Trailers

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back