INSTEAD of 'Another' Eagle Tank.

Thank you fellas!

I've actually hit a little snag and having to re-do the entire canopy section of the "Dome" tank, but I'm almost done with the section again.

Seems I initially went with the wrong dome size for the canopy.

Live and learn.

:behave

Rob.

Well we've all done it. You work on something, believing it is right. But when you almost get done you check your notes and something seems... off. So at that point you have two choices, leave it as is or strip off and try again. I recently encountered that myself and chose the fix option. Halfway through my fix I was thinking "why didn't I just leave it alone?" but in the end, it was the right choice.

Tell me about it buddy!

On this screw up it has to be a start over every time. Since I chose the wrong size canopy dome, everything under it gets scratch built. It's vac-formed from plugs I'm having to make and fixing the wrong plug takes as long as making a new one, so I've just made a new one three times already (actually four which is how come I know fixing one is MORE work!). That, plus anything I happen to screw up fixing a plug would show up in every pull after that, so new plugs are the way I've been going. That "hump" under the canopy is .040" styrene with .030" panels.

Each new dome size I try, I can't tell how it's gonna come out until I get the plug completely finished and make a vac-formed shell, cut it out, get the different size dome fitted and THEN start comparing everything and also looking for flaws.

All those panels are also vac-formed from that same plug and, of course, rely on the hump being right so that I can get those panels right. On top of that, I make a vac-formed template from .060" so that I can lay out those panel lines each time I make one the exact same way every time without having to re-invent the wheel each time. That template marks the .040" with panel placement and the .030" with cut lines and speeds everything up later. If I didn't do that, I would have to figure out everything concerning those panels every time! It ain't very fun THE FIRST time, so I cheat!

LOL!

Rob.

Hey guys!

This hacker crap had everything screwed up much around here?

This latest tank (as I mentioned earlier) was trying to kick my butt, but I finally got something I'm happy with. I had to remake everything once I changed that canopy dome size, but it's all in place now. One of the longest hold ups was when I ordered the replacement clear domes from Plastruct. I didn't know they took off two weeks for Christmas! Live and learn on that one. Took a month to get the new ones to even see if I had everything right!

Once I got all that redone, it went fairly smoothly and I've completed the first of the "Dome" type tanks seen on the show.

What y'all think?

Several pictures here folks. I apologize, but I had to catch up.

Rob.

I have tried to do these justice and all I can do is hope that is what I'm showing. Like most, these took quite a bit of research.

Now, I only mention this next partas a courtesy. I'm not as familiar with this site or most of the fine folks here as I am at the Resin Illuminati forum crowd. These builds started there. I apologize, but I have not been copying and pasting everything about these builds from there to here and have kept much of this exclusively at RI.

That thread is here:
Moonbase Alpha Laser Tanks...ALL THREE! - Resin Illuminati

If anyone would like to see much more description and much larger pictures, you are certainly most welcome to have a visit.

I am actually building ALL three tanks as seen in the series, but started with these two to try and iron out some of the details. I've already built several of the "Eagle" type tanks, so I've saved those till last (I've added a couple pictures of one).

I will keep this one updated since there does seem to be some interested and I really appreciate that fellas! There is still plenty to do and there will actually be a couple more modelers joining in with these builds who will also be doing all three tanks. Once they get caught up and join, I'll be adding many things about these, such as dimensions and kit lists.

Rob.

Hey again fellas,

More progress!

Here's a few I've got completed and ready for paint:

attachment.php

Rob.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back