INSTEAD of 'Another' Eagle Tank.

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Eagle-1, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Eagle-1

Eagle-1 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Lee is doing such a dang fine job on his "Eagle" type laser tank, I thought I would check and see if anyone wanted to see one of the OTHER three tanks from the same episode of Space:1999 that the Eagle tank appeared?

I am actually building ALL THREE tanks at the moment, but have made the most progress on the "Flat-Top" tanks. It is a little farther along than when I took these pictures and there are ALOT of pictures taken before these, so just ask.

Comments and questions are certainly welcome AND requested!

Rob.

Interceptor6 likes this.
  2. Eagle-1

Another update.

Nobody care for this type?

Rob.

3. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's always fun to see such builds! I enjoy seeing seeing them before they're painted, so you can see the variety of source parts.

4. ProfKSergeev

ProfKSergeev Well-Known Member

I think it's beautiful. Super-clean and sharp build, and the design has always reminded me of the Moon tank from Tintin. Obviously more tanks need acrylic viewing bubbles.

5. Eagle-1

Thank you fells! I thought for a little there just wasn't any interest in these.

Glad a couple folks wanna see 'em. Y'all have done it now. I'll continue posting on it. LOL!

Anyhow, now that it's at this point, I'm seeing a change that needs to be made and I'm working on that right now. That forked laser mount looks too tall. I'll post that when I get it shortened.

Rob.

6. modellernz

modellernz New Member

these are looking blooming superb ! looks good to see them pre paint too just to get an idea of where the original builders got the parts from too .. keep it up will be nice to see them finished

7. space rat

space rat Active Member

WOW.:love:thumbsup With builds like this I'll have to visit the Studio Scale section more ! I like anything related to Space 1999. Great show, Have the series on DVD.

Scifitodd likes this.
  8. Eagle-1

Thank you fellas!

I've hammered on that fork section of the laser mount I mentioned and got it more where it should be.

Rob.

9. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

Looks GREAT Rob! I'm more of a UFO buff, but anything from Gerry Anderson's world is OK by me!!

10. Eagle-1

UFO? Second favorite of mine too! Actually, FAR better to watch than Space:1999, I'm just hooked on the HARDWARE from Space:1999.

We need to see if we can't build us a SHADO Mobile or two then!

Rob.

11. Eagle-1

Inside the canopy roof of this tank, there is a small circle of styrene detailed with kit parts. It is like an "overhead console".

Here's what it looks like!

Rob.

12. Eagle-1

Here's one made from my resin parts.

One thing I forgot to mention here. The one I've been showing is for someone that sent me ALL original kit parts to use and build him a set of all three laser tanks. I'm, however, building FOUR of these Flat-Top tanks at the moment and will actually be building 4 full sets of all three versions of these tanks. For the other sets of three, I have made resin parts of every piece needed and will be using those for the other three sets of tanks.

I suppose, it would be nice to show one of the resin versions too, huh?

Rob.

13. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

Excellent builds Rob!

You're going to make me want to build the other two tanks aren't you!
    44" Eagle is next, must resist...

L

14. Eagle-1

Thank you Lee!

I personally think EVERYBODY should want all three, but then, you know my thoughts on these.

LOL!

Rob.

15. GKvfx

GKvfx Sr Member

Ha! The REVELL visible Polaris! I get it now..........

Gene

PS - *, now I want to build one......

16. Eagle-1

Hello Mr. Gene!

Yes, there it is! Just one of the MANY Polaris parts used all over three of these. There's THREE on that circle I just showed alone.

I don't see any reason you shouldn't build ALL THREE!

:love

Rob.

17. Eagle-1

I know I'm a little tardy with an update here fellas, but I have been busy the whole time. These builds use the newer 4-channel remote controlled Chieftain that was released not that long ago, so I've planned on putting as much of the remote to use as I can. Along with the tank movement, there is also a turret up, down, left and right feature. I wanted to use that for, of course, the laser.

Not as simple as I first figured, I'll tell y'all that. There is a small turntable piece included with the Chieftain with a center shaft that extends and retracts. The first couple set-ups I tried, I worked at mounting everything vertically. The Flat-Top tank, being lower than the other two, won't let that happen, so I ended up having to do about a REV.3 and mount it all horizontally. It works well though and here's what I ended up with.

Rob.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  18. Eagle-1

Hey guys!

A little more progress here. I have completed a few of the "Flat-Top" tanks and all that's left on those is the painting and detailing, so I've moved on to the first of the "Dome" type tanks now.

There has not been any of these built before, so there is a "try this, try that" type thing that has to be done, but I've about got the "Dome" to a point I can crank them out faster. Just like the first "Flat-Top" tank I built, I make templates and take notes so that the following builds don't hurt so bad!

Anyhow, here's where I'm at with the "Dome" tank now.

Let me know what y'all think!

Rob.

19. space rat

space rat Active Member

That looks Great.:love The dome tanks are my favorites.(y)thumbsup

20. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Very nicely done ole chap!

21. Eagle-1

Thank you fellas!

I've actually hit a little snag and having to re-do the entire canopy section of the "Dome" tank, but I'm almost done with the section again.

Seems I initially went with the wrong dome size for the canopy.

Live and learn.

:behave

Rob.

22. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Well we've all done it. You work on something, believing it is right. But when you almost get done you check your notes and something seems... off. So at that point you have two choices, leave it as is or strip off and try again. I recently encountered that myself and chose the fix option. Halfway through my fix I was thinking "why didn't I just leave it alone?" but in the end, it was the right choice.

23. Eagle-1

Tell me about it buddy!

On this screw up it has to be a start over every time. Since I chose the wrong size canopy dome, everything under it gets scratch built. It's vac-formed from plugs I'm having to make and fixing the wrong plug takes as long as making a new one, so I've just made a new one three times already (actually four which is how come I know fixing one is MORE work!). That, plus anything I happen to screw up fixing a plug would show up in every pull after that, so new plugs are the way I've been going. That "hump" under the canopy is .040" styrene with .030" panels.

Each new dome size I try, I can't tell how it's gonna come out until I get the plug completely finished and make a vac-formed shell, cut it out, get the different size dome fitted and THEN start comparing everything and also looking for flaws.

All those panels are also vac-formed from that same plug and, of course, rely on the hump being right so that I can get those panels right. On top of that, I make a vac-formed template from .060" so that I can lay out those panel lines each time I make one the exact same way every time without having to re-invent the wheel each time. That template marks the .040" with panel placement and the .030" with cut lines and speeds everything up later. If I didn't do that, I would have to figure out everything concerning those panels every time! It ain't very fun THE FIRST time, so I cheat!

LOL!

Rob.

24. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Very cool! Good Luck!!

FB

25. Tremas

Tremas Sr Member

Nice! :)

Wish I kept my SPACE:1999 DVDs. :(

26. Eagle-1

Hey guys!

This hacker crap had everything screwed up much around here?

This latest tank (as I mentioned earlier) was trying to kick my butt, but I finally got something I'm happy with. I had to remake everything once I changed that canopy dome size, but it's all in place now. One of the longest hold ups was when I ordered the replacement clear domes from Plastruct. I didn't know they took off two weeks for Christmas! Live and learn on that one. Took a month to get the new ones to even see if I had everything right!

Once I got all that redone, it went fairly smoothly and I've completed the first of the "Dome" type tanks seen on the show.

What y'all think?

Several pictures here folks. I apologize, but I had to catch up.

Rob.

27. Eagle-1

Here's a few more once I got it mounted on some tread.

Rob.

28. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

love it!

29. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Sweet!

FB

30. Eagle-1

Thank you fellas!

Rob.

31. atom

atom Active Member

Wow! Superb work!:)
    Your modeling skill is marvelous!:thumbsup

32. Eagle-1

I have tried to do these justice and all I can do is hope that is what I'm showing. Like most, these took quite a bit of research.

Now, I only mention this next partas a courtesy. I'm not as familiar with this site or most of the fine folks here as I am at the Resin Illuminati forum crowd. These builds started there. I apologize, but I have not been copying and pasting everything about these builds from there to here and have kept much of this exclusively at RI.

That thread is here:
    Moonbase Alpha Laser Tanks...ALL THREE! - Resin Illuminati

If anyone would like to see much more description and much larger pictures, you are certainly most welcome to have a visit.

I am actually building ALL three tanks as seen in the series, but started with these two to try and iron out some of the details. I've already built several of the "Eagle" type tanks, so I've saved those till last (I've added a couple pictures of one).

I will keep this one updated since there does seem to be some interested and I really appreciate that fellas! There is still plenty to do and there will actually be a couple more modelers joining in with these builds who will also be doing all three tanks. Once they get caught up and join, I'll be adding many things about these, such as dimensions and kit lists.

Rob.

33. Eagle-1

Hey again fellas,

More progress!

Here's a few I've got completed and ready for paint:

[​IMG]

Rob.

34. Eagle-1

Here's a couple more painted. The Dome is primed and the Flat-Top is finished in white.

Rob.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice!

36. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

Wow! That's alot of tanks!
    And I finally got mine in paint toady, my single piece :)

L

37. Eagle-1

Thank you very much guys!

I really appreciate the kind words!

Rob.

38. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

39. Eagle-1

I think so too, but then again, I could just have a 'thing' for 'em?

Ya' like that type do ya'?

Here's another:

[​IMG]

Rob.

40. livdaws

livdaws New Member

Freaking amazing, dude!

41. Eagle-1

Hey again guys!

I hope everyone had a very nice Thanksgiving.

Here's a long overdue update for anyone interested. As I said, the last of the three I'll be working on is the "Eagle" type. I've got a couple to the point of having enough together to show y'all, so here they are.

The body isn't attached to the chassis on these and the roll bars at the rear are still loose till I get some paint in some of the areas, but here's the general idea of what I'm attempting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As with the other two builds, there will be one using original kit parts (where possible) and the others using my resin parts.

Comments and questions are welcome!

Rob.

42. RS1

RS1 Active Member

Outstanding work as always Rob . They look great !! .

43. mofo77

mofo77 Well-Known Member

awsome work mate.these tanks are very cool.

44. Eagle-1

Thank you guys! I really appreciate the encouragement.

Forgive the sparse replies. I'm doing a very intense build thread at another forum and it just seems like I would be posting the same comments and such and I don't wanna just do that, ya' know?

On the other thread, I'm posting quite a bit about how's and why's and have a great deal covered. Most of the time, by the time I'm done, I forget to post anywhere else, but I will since there's some interest.

I'm closing in on the finish line with all these, so hopefully, we'll see some paint on something before too long.

Rob.

45. Eagle-1

Alittle more added. Not much, I know, but this does about finish the main bodies for the Eagle type tanks.

Original parts:

[​IMG]

Resin parts:

[​IMG]

Thank you all for taking a look. I know it's not most folks 'regular' subject, but I appreciate those that are interested.

Rob.

46. Eagle-1

Just a small update.

For two of these builds, there will be some working mechanisms. For the past couple days, I've been working on making the radar dish rotate.

Here's what I did!

[​IMG]

That link was provided to be by my friend, Nigel Hough. He took the .MOV I made of this and turned it into that .GIF so's I could show y'all.

Thank you Nigel. If you object, I'll remove this as it's linked to your web space.

Here's a couple of the "in progress" pics during the 'figuring' stages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As seen in the first picture, it rotates about like it should!

Thank you for checking it out folks.

Rob.

47. RS1

RS1 Active Member

Sweet . Nice work Rob !

48. Eagle-1

Thank you Rod!

Ok, I've installed it in the tank build, took another video and Mr. Hough has worked his magic yet again,

So,

Here it is.

[​IMG]

He says he couldn't get it to run as smooth in the video this time, but I did take it a little longer, so he had to squeeze it down more for me. It runs VERY smooth in the original video (and on the real tank build), so the video is just for fun anyhow.

Rob.

49. Eagle-1

50. Eagle-1