Informal Poll about OWK Ep1 Saber project

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone,

I'd like to get a read on everyone concerning the OWK ep1 lightsaber project that I'm working on.

As some of you may know. The original OWK ep1 hero lightsaber prop that Ewan wore on his belt was constructed out of a mixture of materials. The black sections were made from painted resin and the silver sections were aluminum.

On the OWK ep1 saber that I made with Acerocket years ago, I sought to replicate this mixed material construction by having the black sections machined from delrin. This was largely a success. And I know that everyone who owns one of my sabers loves it.

Now, I'm planning on redoing this prop, and with this redesign, I'll be making some small changes to the construction. In particular, I want to make space for electronics in the interior to satisfy that crown. This will not change at all the dimensional accuracy of the prop! In fact, there will be a couple small changes to the design to make it a little bit closer to the details the original prop, which I own.

However, I'm considering whether people would be interested in me making this parts from the same mixed materials I did last time--half aluminum and half delrin--or if people would be interested in an all metal prop--6061 aluminum throughout except for the brass valve and steel emitter plate.

The upsides for mixed material delrin/aluminum is, for some, this is closer to what the original prop was made from.

The upsides for all aluminum is, stronger throughout, easier to attain a higher dimensional accuracy to design, and easier to get a consistent finish--delrin is a bit more difficult to get a nice consistent smoothness on.

So, if you're interested in this run, what would you prefer? Would you rather have aluminum/delrin or all metal?

Well, my preference is for a prop accurate hilt to go with your latest Maul offering. Saberforge, Korbanth, and 89 Sabers have all released FX in recent times.

what I'm going to say is probably silly but here goes, mold your original saber in resin and add the machined aluminium parts! you should get quite some interest I feel! :)

I swore to myself long ago that I'd stick to OT props, but this one in particular is one of my favorite designs (I've owned and sold three replicas over the years). I'll have a really hard time NOT getting one!

If I do get one, I guess I'd prefer delrin and aluminum. I'm just not a fan of anodized aluminum.

That my $0.02

what I'm going to say is probably silly but here goes, mold your original saber in resin and add the machined aluminium parts! you should get quite some interest I feel! :)
I wish I could, but my stunt saber has some damage to the pommel and and the seam had some misalignment when they pulled it. There's too much shrinkage and distortion with each molding, it would be impossible to get consistency in the castings that would work with a machined aluminum sleeve.
The reason why I do delrin is to get as close to the original material as possible while still maintain a high degree of machining accuracy. It actually gets us closer to the original then a resin casting off one would ;)

I would prefer mixed material as well, it would literally feel more accurate in hand.

You probably already know my vote is for screen accuracy, whether it's a belt hanger or stunt prop, as opposed to fx but either way, mixed material all the way!

I swore to myself long ago that I'd stick to OT props, but this one in particular is one of my favorite designs (I've owned and sold three replicas over the years). I'll have a really hard time NOT getting one!

If I do get one, I guess I'd prefer delrin and aluminum. I'm just not a fan of anodized aluminum.

That my $0.02
I wouldn't do anodized aluminum. If I did aluminum, It would be raw and buyers would paint it.

Exciting news! Mixed materials - whether it be delrin or resin.
acerocket and several makers have made fx- ready OWKs, but your version is unique.

Yeah, I also vote for mixed materials. All-metal is cool, but your props tend to go that extra step toward true authenticity. Your Maul hilt had a proper resin body with metal endcaps, after all, unlike the various all-metal versions out there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back