Inexpensive 5 days built ►Foam Iron Man Mk IV◄

Re: Inexpensive 5 days built Foam Iron Man Mk IV

Thank you for your quick reply! May ask you the exact names of the products I should use to coat and pain my suite in the best way? :) I hope I'll be able to find the same products here in italy...in the worst case this would be the right chance to have a trip in France just after the border to buy them :p :p

The rubber coating is branded "Sikafill", or "Fortix". More here : environmentally friendly / eco friendly resin/fiberglass?
If you prefer resin, it's "SINTO polyester resin".
For the paint, it's obviously the first comer of the desired color...
About the foam you already know.

Thanks :) well, resin should give a better surface as you said so, maybe I'll choose that option if it won't crack too easily.

I don't know if it'll be better. It all depends of what you expect, and how you plan to use your suit. All I can say is that Sinto resin will make it hard and, surprisingly, won't melt the foam down. I'm happy with my Fortix, I can apply it indoor, my suit doesn't hurt children who bump into me... I don't think I'll change it for some resin.

Thank You from Brazil!!!
From what I read on the packaging export notice, this foam is also available in Brazil isn't it ?

:thumbsup

Last edited:

Amazing work, that inspired me to try it. I have a quick question, though

How big is the suit? I'd have to pack it for a 8h trip, and wouldn't want it ruined, obviously.

Also, to answer one of YOUR :)D) questions, I'm from Brazil, and can't find any stores that sells 6,5mm PE fitness mats.
In fact, getting good EVA or PE foam for a reasonable price at small amounts seems ridiculosly difficult. The suppliers have minimum order quantities, the stores sells low-quality foam and charges your eye-ball for it. I'm seriously considering importing my foam :p

Last edited:

From what I know, and I may be wrong, you can find the same rolls mats at Iguasport, Campinas (São Paulo), that is the first ever brezilian Décathlon store since april 2001.
Phone +55 19 3258-3619
But I'm far to be onsite so it requires confirmation...

When you clamp the smaller parts inside the bigger ones, your suit will easily fit in a 2'x2'x3' cardbox.

You are my hero, man, I downloaded all of your unfold version and I'll give it a try tomorrow (I already made 3 pieces of the suit in the regular version, it was a pain in the ass working with all those small pieces), I just have one question. I noticed you used polietilene foam instead of whatever type of foam yoga mats are made. Is there an specific reason you used them? I also noticed your cuts are amazingly clean and perfect, is it because of the foam or are you just a cutting wizard? And lastly, I saw the paint had an opaque finish, instead of the metalic finish people usually use, is it because of the paint you used or the foam? I would really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Yes, there is a specific reason. Several in fact.
This foam is almost indifferent to heat, it does not melt down under the tip of a glue gun, or under the glue itself, that allows come very clean seams.
This foam has the perfect thickness (at least, the thickness I prefer), I can use it for every part of each of my builds. Except for gloves, but I always use some... common gloves instead.
This foam is flexible enough to build round shapes without visible edges or aliasing that seam lines usually bring.
This foam is available in large quantity at my local store, I can buy several boxes of 24 rolls untill my car is full, no need to preorder or watch for supplying.
This foam is available in several colors :)

I'm also a cutting wizard. Obviously. What did you expect ? ^^

The matt finish is due both to the paint, that is non glossy at all even on smooth surface, and mainly to the lack of finish, precisely. I can use my magic flexible transparent polymer varnish only outside and under weather conditions. It means almost never. Moveover it takes forever to get dry... and so it's true that nothing shines on my pics. And here the foam is not responsible, since it's coated with rubber. Otherwize paint don't stick onto it.

Does anyone know where I can buy these foam matts in London, England or import them for the cheap cost? I would be extremely grateful!

Well it's less mellow and less comfy than a camping mat, and it's smaller too. And less expensive.

dude, You don't understand how much I love you for this! I mean seriously, I will definately donate to you when I complete my build, I'll also try and post some pics of it. I have a few more questions for you, though they'll probably during the build, but first of all, have you improved the pepakura on your other thread (your 2nd and longer build) or do you still use the same templates?

I did some *.pdo upgradesn that are not shared yet... the mkIV I'm building right now, and practically about to be shipped, is based on these last templates. Probably the best one I've built so far. I must take pics, gather the new files, and post that all these coming days.

Of course, you're welcome :)
It's sad that many users abort their building when it appears to be too much laborious.

Thats whats happening to me..

Paper Pepakura: Mask, Chest, Hip Pod, Hand Armor. Many hours put into them all a failure. I dreamed of pep files as well laid out and made for people like me who dont have time or money or even patience to do this. Thank you! Now all i need to do is find all the files in this huge thread so i can make my suit before the end of the month. Im going to a convention and I need suit done. :)

Did you firm up the foam or is it just raw foam with PVA glue "white glue" and then spray painted?

Last edited:

The PVA glue technic was not such... fashionable last year.
I first attempted to spray paint onto the foam, but it didn't stick well at all. I had some white waterproof roof sealant left in my shed, so I used it as a first coating. Then the paint sticked perfectly. I could have stopped here, but I wanted a glossy final coat. So I bought the same sealant, this time in its transparent version. I applyed it upon the painted suit... On the bucket I could read something like "Yeah it's white too, but don't panic, it's getting transparent while drying". It did not. And I found myself with a white suit, once more. So I re-painted it, to fast because a bit annoyed, and got a missed paint job. At least I had to re-re-paint it a third time, about 15 minutes before the show begins. No time left for a shiny coat, that's why the suit looks matt on the pics.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back