Indiana Jones - 'Real World' Props

Do you mind me asking how you know?
Researched the stuff behind the Raven Bar for several months last fall. Found pretty much everything but was only unable to ID one bottle and two boxes behind the bar. Once 4K hits I think it will be a done deal. Still looking to pick up the search soon.

Any reference photos would be great.

The upper bound for the bottle and label must be before 1934 when Johnnie Walker was granted a royal warrant. Like most manufacturers, a warrant would have been added as soon as practicable to its labels. The label in the screen captures has no royal warrant on it.

Likewise the lower bound cannot be before 1909 when an extra label was added to the bottle with the text “Johhnie Walker Black Label."

Therefore can we assume the correct bottle and label was only produced between 1909 and 1934? Any more detail you can add?

Any reference photos would be great.

The upper bound for the bottle and label must be before 1934 when Johnnie Walker was granted a royal warrant. Like most manufacturers, a warrant would have been added as soon as practicable to its labels. The label in the screen captures has no royal warrant on it.

Likewise the lower bound cannot be before 1909 when an extra label was added to the bottle with the text “Johhnie Walker Black Label."

Therefore can we assume the correct bottle and label was only produced between 1909 and 1934? Any more detail you can add?

Thanks agent5, saw that lot on Skinner as well. Will dig deeper on confirmed 1920s bottles like this one... but you may be right.

1920.png

The map room tape measure used onscreen but only partially in view, is most likely a pre-WWII German surveyor's model although we have no idea of its length, nor do we know if Indy brought it to the map room. Perhaps it was left by Belloq's team. Here is a period German measure for reference.
UPDATE: Confirmed this as the correct size from the production still below captured from this documentary [at 19:47]

ORIGINAL POST <HERE>

Raiders measure.png

Unclear but that could be the flag and canvas Sallah drops. Why would they have a 1930s/40s tape otherwise? ;) Will ask on anther forum and come back.

Last edited:
Anyone have any luck finding Henry Jones Sr's pocket watch?

I'm guessing this one is going to be very hard to find an exact match.

Henry Jones Watch Lucasfilm.jpg

Maybe this tape was just a tool from the filming crew?
You may be right as this style measuring tape was produced up until the 1970s.

But after WWII, the enclosures were made from unattractive and non-1930s period fibre or plastic instead of pressed leather. So if that is the case almost any tape measure could be used, though I prefer the1930s German version.

While researching these did notice that many produced in the pre-war era were used for decades afterward by carpenters and surveyors. So theoretically the crew may well have had an early 1930s version in their tool box.

Anyone have any luck finding Henry Jones Sr's pocket watch?

I'm guessing this one is going to be very hard to find an exact match.

View attachment 1439975
That's something I would be very interested in!

What is the source/provenance of the photo above?

The strange thing about Senior's watch is that it seems to be different styles in different scenes.

As we know there are the ordinary open face pocket watches as seen above, and the "hunter case" watches.

With ordinary pocket watches the stem/winder is generally at 12 o'clock.

With Hunter Case watches the stem/winder is generally at 3 o'clock with the hinge at 9 o'clock.

So, in the biplane scene Senior pulls out his watch, the stem is at 12 o'clock and he looks at the face without having to open a cover, thus it's an ordinary open face watch.

But in the sidecar scene it's clearly a gold Hunter Case watch with the stem at 3 o'clock and the hinge at 9 o'clock and Connery flipping open the cover to see the face.

Here are three screen shots from the biplane scene showing the stem at 12 o'clock and Connery appearing to look at the face without having to open a cover, and a screen shot from the motorbyke scene showing the gold Hunter Case watch.

XvkIPXm.jpg

I realise that the sidecar scene was filmed "during post-production" and indeed Senior's hat, tie, and beard style are different in that scene than in the biplane scene. So it could be a different watch.

Or the possibility exists that a Hunter Case watch was used in the biplane scene, and Connery didn't bother to open the cover when he looked at it. We don't see the face well enough to know whether the watch has a cover or not.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back