Indiana Jones - 'Real World' Props

The map room brush origins have been debated for a while. You can sometimes find vintage 1960s or 70s decorator's brushes made in the UK that convert easily and have the right proportions.

brush 2.jpg

brush.png

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4432.jpg

The IMCO lighter from Marion's Bar is specifically the IMCO Super 6700 (IMCO did make other models) and there's some question about which "cap" on the end is the right era (IMCO made these things for over 50 years and a Chinese company bought them out and make them today even with yet another cap on the end).

I believe this is the cap to look for with "IMCO TRIPLEX - TM REG. Vienna Austria Super 6700" as being made during the 1930s (although used for longer than that, it's probably as close as you can get to the period model. I have 3 of them and two have this cap; one was sold as being from the '30s and has some desert weathering on it close-up; one has the same cap but looks perfect and another has "Patent")

1930s IMCO Super 6700 from Morocco (a bit weathered from sand?)

Morocco IMCO 6700 EndCap s.jpg

Near perfect version:

Imco Lighter Number Three Cap s.jpg
Imco Lighter Number Three s.jpg

The "Patent Austria" cap is likely newer (1960s or '70s onward?)

IMCO Patent Austria Cap.jpg

If it says "Come of Vienna Austria" on it, it's a knock-off or one made by the Chinese company that bought IMCO.

Chinese Super 6700 Cap.jpg

The Raiders' pocket knife is made in Solingen, Germany, the traditional centre of the country's edged tool industry.

The Hubertus 12.300.HH.00 has been identified as the most likely model

I'd take issue with the words "most likely". While I saw claims about the Hubertus, it has rather obvious writing on the blade that is not visible in the movie (I suppose the other side might be blank?). I recall the Linder 312111 being the more likely candidate (the Linder name is barely visible nearly the base of the blade where Indy's hand covers it). The handles are unique to each knife being real antler so it's no indicator. I bought my Linder from Solingen, Germany as well. Either way, The Linder knife should be mentioned as well, IMO.

Raiders Knife 01s.jpg

Raiders Knife 02s.jpg

Raiders Knife Open 01s.jpg

Raiders Knife Open 02s.jpg

The flashlight from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull would appear most likely to be a "Tiger Head" (still made under "Union Pacific" brand, readily available on Amazon) flashlight with a paint job (black center and some stripes added) and it's likely based on either the 1950s Eveready Flashlight or '50/'60s ABC British Empire flashlight ("Rose" name used the same design as well) that came in black with chrome stripes already. The Tiger Head / Union Pacific flashlight has a textured focus ring clearly featured in the movie, though so is the more likely candidate actually used.

My hand-colored Union Pacific Flashlight (No Flash & Flash where flash shows ribbed texture in black zone):

Indy Flashlight Closeup s.jpg
Indy Flashlight Closeup Flash s.jpg

ABC British Empire (Rose model is nearly identical save the end cap name) & Eveready 1950s Flashlights (left/right or top/bottom) straight out of the box unmodified:

British Empire Flashlight.jpg
Everready Flashlight.jpg

Last edited:
Took a very unscientific survey of the knife threads on IndyGear / Club Obi Wan going back a few years. Hence the "most likely" and not absolutely and that's why the post notes that "there are other close enough alternatives like the Linder 312111 that are preferable as they are less expensive." Another thing and don't know if it's true is that the knife that was used was borrowed from the German tourist who almost made it into the film as Sallah's executioner.

Glasses

The glasses used in the "tent scene" with Belloq and Marion used Libbey bar glasses (only recently discontinued; many warehouses still have them for sale). It's shown here on the right (Belloq's pocket watch by Ingersoll is also shown).

Belloq Tent Glass s.jpg

Of course, Johnny Walker and Jack Daniels bottles were featured in the Marion Ravenwood bar scene (latter is one size larger in the movie than shown here) and the Belle of Lincoln was a whiskey made by Jack Daniels in the 1930s (reproduction bottles are available on the Net) along with the Duralex "Universel" (spelled that way) glasses (shown to the right of the Belle of Lincoln bottle) are still made in France today and easy to find online in places like eBay. The Federal shot glasses (also shown) are vintage and often come up on there as well (Also shown, but not stock and mentioned for completeness and reference only so people don't have to ask are the Staff of Ra medallions made by RM on here with the stands they're sitting on are by Landron).

Belle of Lincoln Bottle Glass s.jpg

Johnny Walker bottle (not quite correct as vintage had a different label on the bottom and a cork in the top). The Ark was made by Hasbro toy company (not a 'real' regular item, but not made by hobbyists either) (The Cross of Coranado shown hanging there was made by RM, not a regular item, but for reference as is the Maltese Falcon off to the far left by Oz De Shaw).

Johnny Walker Moved 2 s.jpg

The Champagne glass in The Temple of Doom at Club Obi-Wan is a bit odd in that it appears that both round stem and hexagonal stem glasses were shown in The Temple of Doom. (The glasses on each side appeared to be different as they showed either side when they rotated the table)

Here's a hex glass (readily found on eBay and other places under vintage champagne glasses; I'm not sure of the exact make). Ignore the diamond and antidote (never took a separate photo at the time).

Champagne Glass Hex Close S.jpg

My own "Sparklets" Syphon (Seltzer) bottle previously mentioned (reference shot from movie after it; the color of the mesh is due to lighting on the set, not the bottle itself AFAIK from viewing endless examples online until I found one in mint condition) (Note also there's another smaller syphon in the background of the bar scene; I've found some similar to that one online; they're smaller and stainless steel instead of glass).

Sparklets Seltzer Bottle Ravenwood Bar s.jpg
Seltzer Bottles Ravenwood Bar s.jpg

Desk Fan - Indy's Marshall College Office Desk (Last Crusade)

Vintage General Electric (GE) 12" Brass Blade Fan 3-Speed

Small Brass Plaque on Base indicates - Type: A0U, Form: AD1(or I) - I got mine in 220V so it won't operate in the US (for safety reasons, these things are dangerous since the blades are exposed!)
View attachment 1340722View attachment 1340723

There's some relatively cheap voltage converters on Amazon that would let you use it in the US (one is only $18). :D

My grandparents used to have several of these type fans growing up and I remember being afraid of losing a finger. I actually managed to bump my finger in one like 15 years later and to my relief, it didn't cut my finger off like I expected. The blade just came to a sudden stop. It seems fans don't have much torque (I know my '80s plastic versions had no torque to them. You could start them with your finger on them and they wouldn't even push very hard at all). I've certainly hit by hand in several ceiling fans over the years (there's an 20-speed one in my exercise room and I've accidentally hit it while stretching too close to it) and while not pleasant, I didn't lose a limb there either just a bit of a sudden smack (they're not very high RPM or torqued hard; just wind makers). I wouldn't particularly want to put that 220V one to the test, though. ;)

It's kind of shocking (maybe literally with those old power cords) how much people want for some of those old fans on eBay (I saw a few of this one, most wanted close to $200+ in good shape with one with major wear and tear going for $50 + $35 shipping). It makes me think I should have held onto those things (most of their stuff got junked when they died by my uncle and they had all kinds of antique stuff; I hope he didn't junk the player piano scrolls; he has his own player piano. I know he had boxes of old 78s I would have loved to try out with my newer turntable (just swap cartridge and 78s galore).

AdVintage (of Germany) makes a darn nice real sable Raiders of the Lost Ark style Indy hat for a pretty reasonable price. I don't know if that exactly qualifies as "real world" or not, but it's made by a real world hat maker, not a hobbyist (not the original maker of the one from the movie, though):

Raiders Hat s.jpg

How great would it be to have a complete real world vintage props Raven Bar?
One day.

I keep thinking how great it would be to have a real "Well of Souls" room (or even a Tabernacle Tent like I saw a fan made on a site somewhere once complete with the full priest outfit and chest plate and staff) with a full size Ark of the Covenant in it. :D

(I guess that wouldn't be "real world" but still awesome) ;)

Ark Room2.jpg

I'll have to console myself with the Hasbro one and pretend Marvin the Martian shrunk it down. ;)

ArkOfTheCovenantClose.jpg

Ark Contents S.jpg

But then you're at risk for someone stealing the darn thing....

Ark Dudes Back S.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the real world Raiders' compass also used in Young Indiana Jones. It is a British Verner's compass made approximately between 1910 and 1919.

I see there's a bunch of these for sale out there and apparently made by different makers ("Verner's Pattern" is what it says on them). I found a 1916 model Mark VII made in London (F. Darton London) and a 1918 made Mark VIII made in Switzerland (E. Koehn Geneva, Switzerland) by different companies (both more or less look the same to my eyes otherwise). I don't suppose we know what the year/mark version used was? (probably impossible to tell?). I guess I'd aim for the cheapest I could find in decent shape if that was the case. Given it apparently wasn't used in the final movie (I'm not a big Young Indiana Jones fan), I'm not sure if I want one or not, but being over 100 years old, that's kind of a neat thing to have regardless.

Sweet Afton Cigarettes - From the Ravenwood Bar scene (Marion's preferred cigarette brand) - Believe it or not I actually found a warehouse that has cases of these left when I was searching, even though they've been discontinued for years. They were made in Dundalk, Ireland. Unfortunately, they had the tobacco can kill you warning on it so it wasn't usable for a 1930s version of the pack. But fortunately, you can make your own (I found a printer template sheet online) (I believe ToyAndPropMasters on Etsy sells the packs already made as well). You still need to add cigarettes to be authentic, though.

Sweet Afton Crop s.jpg

Agree with you completely. The original, century old Verner's pattern compasses are very well made and pretty neat in their own right. They were mostly made in the UK by Barker, then private labelled to individual retailers.

Ed. Koehn is one of the exceptions. They were made in Switzerland by a company that also provided parts to Patek Phillipe watches. They're a cut above in quality.

We don't know the year or mark used in the film unless a close up continuity shot exists that we've never seen.

In terms of originality and condition, they were all blackened chemically with some details and the engraved cardinal points (numbers on the outside) covered in French lacquer. Steer clear of any that have been "helpfully" brightly shined or cleaned up. They aren't worth much to collectors as this original finish is what makes them valuable. Plus details are often unhelpfully polished away by inexperienced owners.

Look for the best condition you can afford as missing parts and glass windows are not easily replaced. Refinishing is very difficult while Raiders production photos clearly show the black finish intact.

Be sure to look for dry card compasses (not liquid filled with kerosene as any leaks are a health hazard and the insides have often rotted) and they are thicker and non-screen accurate.

There is a transit lock on the side which prevents the compass card from turning. Some sellers believe their compasses are broken when in fact the lock is simply on. In general a Verner's pattern usually never fails to function unless they are repeatedly dropped or mishandled. See page 227 of this book for a short background. Some more in the descriptions here and again here. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I just got this and I figured it'd be worth sharing on this thread:

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

Indy's magnifying glass from his office in The Last Crusade, and I'd say almost certainly the same model used in the movie, found completely by chance.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 3.55.03 PM.png

There's the brass finish, general same size and shape, flat bottom on the counterweight at the end of magnifying glass (I noticed a lot of very similar ones have a round bottom), a couple of notches on the handle by the glass, a handle that connects directly to the glass without leaving any gaps (another common feature of similar ones), three adjustment screws on the mechanism that fixes the handle to the base, and perhaps most crucially, the same blueish hue on the glass when viewed at an angle.

No idea who made it or what brand it might be though, since I just got it from an antiques store on eBay and they simply listed it as "vintage brass jeweler's magnifier".

Well found! That looks spot on.

Are there any markings on it that can help further identify it?

Sadly, no. I did find this antiquarian who has one that looks exactly the same (8th picture -- it may be smaller than the one I have, but pictures can be deceiving depending on the angle):

Scientific, Instrument, Magnifying Glass, Various, Antique and Vintage – George Glazer Gallery, Antiques

I tried contacting them, but they never got back to me. If anyone here is from New York, perhaps they could stop by and ask. I used to live there and I remember those prop rental stores well, tons and tons of junk around. So chances are they don't even know where it came from themselves.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back