Indiana Jones - Golden Fertility Idol - New Sculpt

Wait, is this an actual sculpture or a 3D render? Either way, my hat is off to you as you are a master at your craft. If this is, in fact, a physical sculpture I bend the knee and request you put me on any forthcoming availability list.

Thanks!

It is a physical sculpt. Started as a clay sculpt then cast to resin for finishing of the finest details.

I am finishing up some fine tuning and adjusting a few details. Then I will be doing the final surface finishing to created the same reflections and shadows as close as I can get. Getting these very subtle features just right is difficult and takes a lot of light and camera testing. Especially the baby. Very small details.

Doing this sculpt I found I was able to really compare and contrast all the screen used images and propstore version and can define the differences and similarities.

I may look for someone to help with replicating\casting this idol if there is enough interest. I have some other great ideas to make a really accurate replica available in metals well as glass eye and static plated eye versions.

More images soon. Getting there!

a little more work on the baby... getting closer...Adjusted the face and hands. Hard to get the correct lighting.

A couple small adjustment from here and I think it will be close.
Very small details. No wonder they got washed out after the plating! ; )

idol baby sculpt near final copy.jpg

Here are some updated images. Still working to get the surfaces and details dialed in but I think I am very close to the final overall. I need to now concentrate on the smallest details and check over the entire sculpt. Some details need to be softened and some deepened so in finishing they are not lost.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to replicate the PropStore Idol "exactly" since it does have some details that are either washed out or altered on other screen used GOLD versions... tho it is the major influence as it is a screen used piece and matches up very precisely. The overall figure is the same as the stunts and pedestal HERO. I used every "best" image available to me to include the smallest details seen. When complete, I will show my comparison images and details explaining why I chose to finish it as I did. This will be a compilation or amalgam of all the best screen used images including the PropStore idol.

There are very subtle surface variations and undulations in the features that appear on the PropStore idol and in my sculpt. When plated, this idol should replicate the same reflections very closely.

Time to start thinking about what to do with it. If there is enough interest I will make it available somehow.

idol sculpt series test final copy.jpg

Last edited:
Frankly, the sculpt is quite remarkable. Do you envision a potential project run being something like a gold-plated resin base? Your sculpt is so good that I'd love to see a gold-plated metal base. Regardless, I continue to be VERY interested.

Wow! You have done an amazing job of sculpting this! Trying to match the asymmetric, rounded shapes is a monstrous challenge.
Well done!

I just found this thread, so if it's not too late to suggest a refinement - it looks to me like your jawline/jowl is ever so slightly wider toward the chin than the original's. It's a nit-picky thing, but since you've taken this to such a fantastic level of accuracy I thought you might want feedback.

It could be that what I am seeing is due to camera angle, lens distortion or lens size variations - so I'll leave it to you to decide if you see it too.

Wow! You have done an amazing job of sculpting this! Trying to match the asymmetric, rounded shapes is a monstrous challenge.
Well done!

I just found this thread, so if it's not too late to suggest a refinement - it looks to me like your jawline/jowl is ever so slightly wider toward the chin than the original's. It's a nit-picky thing, but since you've taken this to such a fantastic level of accuracy I thought you might want feedback.

It could be that what I am seeing is due to camera angle, lens distortion or lens size variations - so I'll leave it to you to decide if you see it too.

This project is all about fine detail. I appreciate everyone looking so close. I know this prop is “idolized “. ; ).
I will check your observation again but I do think the difference is in the camera distortion.

The perspective and lens distortion is incredibly difficult to overcome and make sense of. I have to correct for the distortion and check photographically to see if I am close.

The front image at the start of this thread was made with a much closer camera lens perspective and shows everything lining up very nicely. Since then I have refined and adjusted to get even closer.

The exact perspective is very hard to duplicate hand held. A slight twist or angle of the camera changes the distortion quite a bit. Camera distance and orientation make the head look huge and the body look tiny or fat or slim.

I can only compare to the most “flat” images available. The longer screen shots have less distortion. Tho some are very confusing at first.
I will post some reasesrch images shortly to illustrate.

In the meantime. If there is interest in this project, please spread the word. I have some great ideas for producing replicas but would need enough interest to achieve the quality I would want.

Getting close to finishing. Just need to refine the surfaces and polish it up.

I envision a metal body open back with “glass” eyes.
Resin body with glass eyes
Resin with covered eyes “ Belloq”
Gold plate is possible but there may be better alternatives.

Spread the word. !

Thanks!

Here is a quick HERO view of the sculpt. I painted in the "Glass Eye" effect of the PropStore Idol on the Left and quickly added a little of the brown/gold left overs as seen on the PS version (and background) just to get an idea of the potential effect and overall impression of the sculpt.

The sculpt has a lot of nuanced details and subtle sculpted surfaces that need proper lighting to appreciate.

More images to follow,

idol sculpt hero test 3 for post.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back