Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

I still think the one displayed in Hollywood studios is the one they will release. It was the only prop unprotected and open to the public to touch and get close to. Everything else was under glass or out of reach.

Could be a supply chain issue or maybe they will just show up on Disney's own time frame
We have confirmation that that dial was made by an individual, not manufactured by a company (which will be the way the parks go once they make one to sell.) It's possible that the replica will be used as a base for the eventual mass-made version, but impossible to tell until Disney releases it.

I suspect they will eventually sell a park prop like they have the Crystal Skull and others. The lag time is sort of wild considering how front and center they put the Dial itself in materials, Premiere photos, etc. They managed to make a 20ft backdrop for the Premiere and there are a handful of film props doing the premiere circuit but not a bunch of 11" clocks to sell at ShopDisney.com? Bizarre. I think the best hope on the 3ish month timeframe will be if some of the great prop makers on these prop boards that make electroplated props in limited runs. After that I wouldn't be surprised to see a retail offering from some 3rd party fandom prop makers with kickstarter-like preorder gimmicks, Hasbro Pulse or something like it.

Also, just a heads up - this prop hit the scammers' radar. Someone who had bought one of my charity-share, prototype eBay auctions reached out to me today livid that he thought I was mass-producing these things and selling for super cheap. He sent me screenshots from, this site. I'm honestly surprised he fell for it but whatever, I think the nature of auctions bring out the worst impulses of competition followed by buyers' remorse. Any rate, the scammer..

View attachment 1719551

The scammers pulled images from this thread and a few eBay auctions to make it look like they are selling Dial of Destiny props for $35. Since those are pictures from my game room and the reviews are all faked, I assume this is one of those pop-up web stores that takes what they can get and disappears once the veil of fraud is lifted.

Super weird seeing my favorite pinball machine, that I spent over a year restoring - in the background of a scammer's website.
That is a darn shame! I hate seeing these scammers stealing our pictures and dupping people out of their hard earned cash. This has happened to me a lot.

It is hard to believe that some people fall for these scams but I think the impulse buyer has blinders on and misses the warning signs.

If this is another scam - I will be reporting this seller.

What’s hilarious is that one is not a scam, it’s the graffitilogic/arcadeshenannigans/Bill Todd guy who made the freebie files. That’s his eBay profile

Last edited:
Given the level of detail and the historical relevance of this dial, I believe that the true dimension of the dial is 16 Greek fingers, or one Greek foot: 29.6cm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230717-183055_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230717-183055_YouTube.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142
The Dial on display at the El Capitan Theatre Indiana Jones exhibit seems to be the same size as the one in the Den of Destiny. Based on the square table it is sitting on; which I found online and is said to have a width of 20 inches. This also matches up with the display plaque which measures out at 5x7 inches... a standard size.
Was that 20" from flat side to flat side or 20" from point to point? Thanks for this!

What’s hilarious is that one is not a scam, it’s the graffitilogic/arcadeshenannigans/Bill Todd guy who made the freebie files. That’s his eBay profile

Yep, I can confirm that one is real and is me.

Stats for this little experiment:

I listed ten with half of each auction going to various charities that are important to me.
I had two people get overexcited in bidding, win and then forget where their wallets were.

Average completed bid price has been $690 - which is both a lot for a thermoplastic prop and not really motivating to me as a financial incentive for something that takes me a week to build.

I traded two for upgraded props (Coronado Cross and better Grail Diary)
I gave one to a family at a Premiere, enthusiastic young fan that could use a blessing (still riding high from their reaction)

IMG_0330.jpeg
Printables.com Listing

A couple things I'm still unsure about. I didn't tackle glyphs on the back, I don't have the energy or time for it right now. I didn't try to tackle the faux gear assembly though I did buy electronic movement hardware and I might make a clock out of one. The plates on the side that the film prop video described as sundials, I think the film prop and Disney Parks prop actually differ somewhat in their placement and details. I averaged them in my build but what I came up with isn't perfect. Better than blank squares, though!

Last edited:

I listed ten with half of each auction going to various charities that are important to me.
I had two people get overexcited in bidding, win and then forget where their wallets were.

Average completed bid price has been $690 - which is both a lot for a thermoplastic prop and not really motivating to me as a financial incentive for something that takes me a week to build.

I gave one to a family at a Premiere, enthusiastic young fan that could use a blessing (still riding high from their reaction)

Counting that one on eBay above, I have 3 that I still consider prototypes that lack some detail or another that will get listed this week. At least one of those will have a Charity split, I haven't decided on the other yet. (Waiting on last month's fees invoice to decide)

I printed (1) that I consider "finished" which is in my basement.

I don't know that I'll make too many more after that - maybe a completed one next week with a Charity split and an aspirational-whale price tag.
My teenaged daughter said she might make a couple to fund upgrades to her 3d printer but I think she'll lose interest in the repetitive nature once she goes through the process.

My hope with the stupid-high pricing is a couple things.
1) Slow down the number of "make me one" requests I was getting. (100's)
2) For profit-makers will see dollar signs and start making and more importantly remixing and improving the designs
- even if they aren't derivatives of these designs, [more options] = better
3) If those non-charity ones are sold at full price - I'll grow my maker tools a bit and if not - no worries - trade bait for other props.
.. the large downside miscalculation is that the high price is what attracted the scammer, I'm sure of it.

And my "done for now" 3d model:

View attachment 1720280
Printables.com Listing

A couple things I'm still unsure about. I didn't tackle glyphs on the back, I don't have the energy or time for it right now. I didn't try to tackle the faux gear assembly though I did buy electronic movement hardware and I might make a clock out of one. The plates on the side that the film prop video described as sundials, I think the film prop and Disney Parks prop actually differ somewhat in their placement and details. I averaged them in my build but what I came up with isn't perfect. Better than blank squares, though!
It won’t matter soon. Best of luck though!

Was that 20" from flat side to flat side or 20" from point to point? Thanks for this!
Just to be clear I was talking about the table being 20" wide as a point of reference to check the measurements of the dial.

The measurements of the dial in the Den of Destiny and on display at the El Capitan Theatre can be found here: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

These dials on display do appear to be a bit smaller than the prop used in the movie and on display at the premiere.

Counting that one on eBay above, I have 3 that I still consider prototypes that lack some detail or another that will get listed this week. At least one of those will have a Charity split, I haven't decided on the other yet. (Waiting on last month's fees invoice to decide)

I printed (1) that I consider "finished" which is in my basement.

I don't know that I'll make too many more after that - maybe a completed one next week with a Charity split and an aspirational-whale price tag.
My teenaged daughter said she might make a couple to fund upgrades to her 3d printer but I think she'll lose interest in the repetitive nature once she goes through the process.

My hope with the stupid-high pricing is a couple things.
1) Slow down the number of "make me one" requests I was getting. (100's)
2) For profit-makers will see dollar signs and start making and more importantly remixing and improving the designs
- even if they aren't derivatives of these designs, [more options] = better
3) If those non-charity ones are sold at full price - I'll grow my maker tools a bit and if not - no worries - trade bait for other props.
.. the large downside miscalculation is that the high price is what attracted the scammer, I'm sure of it.

And my "done for now" 3d model:

View attachment 1720280
Printables.com Listing

You sold these for an average of $690 on ebay? How many sales are in that average? I see you said you listed 10 and maybe you have 3 left so does that mean you sold 7 with an average price of $690? Sorry if I am getting confused by the figures since you gave some away and traded some.

You sold these for an average of $690 on ebay? How many sales are in that average? I see you said you listed 10 and maybe you have 3 left so does that mean you sold 7 with an average price of $690? Sorry if I am getting confused by the figures since you gave some away and traded some.
Sure, I don't mind at all sharing with the rest of the class:

Of the last 7 sold:

1 @ $910 with 50% to American Cancer Society
1 @ $356 with 50% to St. Jude
1 @ $699 with 50% to St Jude
1 @ $245 with 50% to American Cancer Society
1 @ $1225 with 50% to St. Jude
1 @ $305 with 50% to American Cancer Society
1 @ $315 with 50% to American Cancer Society
___
$4055 /7 = $579 average
However, I intentionally didn't weigh the $245 and recent $356 the same in the $690 average estimate, those auction were abnormal in that they didn't run their normal course, smaller props with less finish, etc. One of them was a coordinated listing with a specific buyer who was also doing some local charity stuff on a secondary sale and the other was a second chance-offer for a non-paying winner.

So, if I count the four that ended naturally - the average was $863.50. Past statistics isn't an indicator of future performance, in this case. As interest and buzz wears down and other props become available, I expect the average prices will normalize. I expect the prices will go down and the diversity and quality will go up. Though, if you want to make a couple thousand dollars, print one in Pink and theme it as a Barbie Crossover. :)

Lets say you sell one for $800 and it's all you, no charity split silliness - just pure capitalism. Nothing wrong with that. The auction closes at $800. After shipping and fees you'll get a payout of maybe $600 - that's not including income tax, just fees.

With 3d Prints and not mass-production, it takes about a week to make one, so my teenager makes a higher hourly wage as a carhop.

But what happens when the prop comes down to where it probably should be, say $300-$500 thanks to mass-production and model simplification. A couple people in ten get buyers' remorse and want refunds but you still have fees to pay and you are out two-way shipping @ $20 each direction plus quality packaging material. Meanwhile back in the real world, I spent $65 at a Taco Bell drive thru the other day for four (pretty hungry) people in ALABAMA where the median household income is -$40k from national figures.

For me this was always a hobby endeavor but if nothing else, I'm honest:
Making $500 on a prop? Yawn. Making $300 for Charity with my prop and time? Somehow, to me that was more interesting and allowed me to justify the hobby-time spent. I'll sell a few more until the current supply of filament runs out, some to charity and some to fund some printer parts but I expect an interest-falloff is coming.

Last edited:
Finally I decided to correct the errors of the previous piece, I made the detailed back and sides, the size I stayed with the previous one, which is 17.5 centimeters or almost seven inches from side to side, because although in the movie it sometimes seems bigger I see the one in the photo of the girls as small, considering that the girls' hands are small. Well mine looks small because my hands are big. Haha...

Attachments

• 20230718_001956.jpg
    20230718_001956.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 244
  • 20230718_002012.jpg
    20230718_002012.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 183
  • 20230718_002049.jpg
    20230718_002049.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 211
  • escala manos.JPG
    escala manos.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 20230718_002535.jpg
    20230718_002535.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 137
  • 20230718_204501.jpg
    20230718_204501.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 172
  • 20230718_205511.jpg
    20230718_205511.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 186
Last edited:
So last night I went back for a 3rd time and when they showed the dial, I paid more attention to the back. It clearly has markings everywhere and, in the center, it looked almost like constellations or something because they looked like holes or dots if you will. They hardly show the back. Only a couple of scenes and very briefly.

Same deal with the Grafikos. It almost looked like a mirror image on the back. I definitely seen the moon and same center as the front. They only showed that for a brief second though. But it definitely had full detailed markings just like the front. Just don't know how much the differ.

I'm really hoping these don't come on the market for that much. I'll have to pass. Very expensive prop. I doubt Disney will sell these for that. The Idol and the Skull are their most expensive props (not clothing) for Indy at this time. My guess would be $200 or under. If they sell the same as the Den of Destiny, I would image it would be at or just less than $100 seeing how it's just a plastic, static piece. It's wonderful these pieces made- sold for that much, especially when part of the money went to charities, and I'm sure the cause also contributed to the end result, however, I'm caulking it up to people not being patient enough to wait and have to be the first to get it.

A fully functional piece with moving parts like these would of coarse go for the higher amount for sure. That would be the A list prop and sold on the runs page. Might even be temping enough baring price, however I do hope we get multiple options though.

I'm really hoping these don't come on the market for that much. I'll have to pass. Very expensive prop. I doubt Disney will sell these for that. The Idol and the Skull are their most expensive props (not clothing) for Indy at this time. My guess would be $200 or under. If they sell the same as the Den of Destiny, I would image it would be at or just less than $100 seeing how it's just a plastic, static piece. It's wonderful these pieces made- sold for that much, especially when part of the money went to charities, and I'm sure the cause also contributed to the end result, however, I'm caulking it up to people not being patient enough to wait and have to be the first to get it.

A fully functional piece with moving parts like these would of coarse go for the higher amount for sure. That would be the A list prop and sold on the runs page. Might even be temping enough baring price, however I do hope we get multiple options though.
Agreed! just thinking of other steampunk / metallic clockwork-like props - the fact that you can buy a quite decent looking brass sextant for $27 on Amazon, an 11" astrolabe with wood and antique brass finish for $60, once the power of mass production and overseas suppliers is pointed at it, anything is possible. The Crystal Skull that Disney released was darn decent in my mind considering the difficulty of such a prop, despite it being a little scaled down. My biggest concern on an official Archimedes Dial prop is that with the box office draw not being very good and park attendance being down, I hope that doesn't make internal merchandising decisions at Disney concerning DoD more challenging. Hopefully they already ordered a run of them and they just didn't land in conjunction with the release.

Unrelated, sort of - as a pinball and arcade nerd, I hope that Stern or Jersey Jack will make a new Indy pinball machine as well. They tend to use film franchise releases as a cue on what properties to license or it could be an aspect of how the licensing and IP trade shows run. Those same trade shows are used by manufacturers of everything from shampoo bottles to props to determine their product roadmaps. Hopefully someone say Indiana Jones / Dial of Destiny and said "yes. I'll dedicate a line to that."

I still have my doubts about the size, shape, shape, and amount of how they put together the film dial. In these photos you can see how the hand with the sun passes under the fixed hand and the other mobile hand passes over the fixed hand, however in the photo with Archimedes the hand with the sun clearly passes over the steady hand.

Attachments

• aguja sol bajo 01.JPG
    aguja sol bajo 01.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 89
  • aguja sol bajo 02.JPG
    aguja sol bajo 02.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 111
  • aguja sol bajo 03.JPG
    aguja sol bajo 03.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Todavía tengo mis dudas sobre el tamaño, la forma, la forma y la cantidad de cómo armaron el dial de la película. En estas fotos se puede ver como la mano con el sol pasa por debajo de la mano fija y la otra mano móvil pasa por encima de la mano fija, sin embargo en la foto con Arquímedes la mano con el sol pasa claramente por encima de la mano fija.
Yes, you are correct on both counts. This is because on the physicals prop the two needles on the center of the dial are both connected to the same center section. So they will always spin together at the same time and always point in opposite directions just as shown when Voller turns the dial with his finger.

Then when the needles and other parts of the dial start spinning that is just a bit of movie magic where those effects are added in post processing/CGI.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back