Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

A member will hopefully be offering a kit of the dial here shortly, most of the legwork has been completed design-wise for those interested. A lot of moving parts, and functional compass key to boot. (y)

080723 dial 7.png
080723 dial 8.png

A member will hopefully be offering a kit of the dial here shortly, most of the legwork has been completed design-wise for those interested. A lot of moving parts, and functional compass key to boot. (y)

View attachment 1727059View attachment 1727060

Nice work. (whomevers this is) I started this thread during just the trailers, and people have moved beyond my original simple prototype. It looks awesome with all the engravings.

View attachment 1727059View attachment 1727060
Wonderful! Those central gears always eluded my beginner skills, wonderful detail touches on how the two halves come together and the constellations on the back - just fantastic.

Nice work. (whomevers this is) I started this thread during just the trailers, and people have moved beyond my original simple prototype. It looks awesome with all the engravings.
I'm working this up on commission now, I don't want to speak for the client but I believe he is planning to offer kits (and is a member here) :cool:

The references I was sent are very, very good, otherwise I wouldn't have touched this thing; just too much going on. And yeah as you can imagine, I had to model the alphabets and rune engraves from scratch; the original prop-maker put some serious work into this between the mechanicals and the corresponding engraved rings o_O
Wonderful! Those central gears always eluded my beginner skills, wonderful detail touches on how the two halves come together and the constellations on the back - just fantastic.
Thank you! This thing is complicated for being so 'relatively' small, a lot of time has gone into keeping functional wheels and rings in each half that then can still work together and rotate when the halves are joined (30+ parts).

I'm working this up on commission now, I don't want to speak for the client but I believe he is planning to offer kits (and is a member here) :cool:

The references I was sent are very, very good, otherwise I wouldn't have touched this thing; just too much going on. And yeah as you can imagine, I had to model the alphabets and rune engraves from scratch; the original prop-maker put some serious work into this between the mechanicals and the corresponding engraved rings o_O

Thank you! This thing is complicated for being so 'relatively' small, a lot of time has gone into keeping functional wheels and rings in each half that then can still work together and rotate when the halves are joined (30+ parts).
This is so going to be out of my budget. oh well. Maybe one day.

LOL yeah, my workaround for those alphabets was incredibly janky. (SVG Paths export from Circular Line-Guided Text in Photoshop)
Just using the tools I had, in which hand drawn talent wasn't one of them.

It gave me a really solid appreciation for Ben Wilkinson's work on the extra details of this prop and by extension anyone who puts the time in to do it the not-janky way and get the spacing and placement nailed by hand.

Do you have any indication on the materials that will be used in those kits when they come out? (Metals vs Plastics or Combination materials)

LOL yeah, my workaround for those alphabets was incredibly janky. (SVG Paths export from Circular Line-Guided Text in Photoshop)
Just using the tools I had, in which hand drawn talent wasn't one of them.

It gave me a really solid appreciation for Ben Wilkinson's work on the extra details of this prop and by extension anyone who puts the time in to do it the not-janky way and get the spacing and placement nailed by hand.

Do you have any indication on the materials that will be used in those kits when they come out? (Metals vs Plastics or Combination materials)

No I'm just doing the modeling and kit design/engineering. I can say that due to the size and detail, a kit would benefit from high-end printed parts (a few could be laser cut). The dial isn't even 8 inches tall, So it's not big parts, just a lot of small detailed ones. Also, I believe I'll be modeling the worn/weathered version as well, but i have no specifics beyond that. Things should be moving ahead pretty soon though, my heavy lifting is done.

(WIP render of the articulated parts set to put things into perspective)

080723 dial 9.png

No I'm just doing the modeling and kit design/engineering. I can say that due to the size and detail, a kit would benefit from high-end printed parts (a few could be laser cut). The dial isn't even 8 inches tall, So it's not big parts, just a lot of small detailed ones. Also, I believe I'll be modeling the worn/weathered version as well, but i have no specifics beyond that. Things should be moving ahead pretty soon though, my heavy lifting is done.

(WIP render of the articulated parts set to put things into perspective)

View attachment 1727170
Right on - Thanks for sharing, will definitely keep me eyes out for further announcements on it.

Anybody working on the compass might like this. Full disclosure I still haven't seen the movie (this happens a lot more than I care to admit :lol: )

Really cool idea with the spring-loaded / twist lock approach. one thing I've noticed is that once you put those compass into the mount, they are a booger to remove. I don't really have a good solution for that aside from leaving just enough lip to get your fingers around the compass to twist and pull it out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You mentioned the 8"width scale basis above. I assume that was based on the Disney World prop? Do you think the film props were also that small? The promo video that was shared awhile back, it seemed larger than the Disney World prop to my eyes but I only have that and the "behind the glass" premiere prop photos to go by.

Really cool idea with the spring-loaded / twist lock approach. one thing I've noticed is that once you put those compass into the mount, they are a booger to remove. I don't really have a good solution for that aside from leaving just enough lip to get your fingers around the compass to twist and pull it out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You mentioned the 8"width scale basis above. I assume that was based on the Disney World prop? Do you think the film props were also that small? The promo video that was shared awhile back, it seemed larger than the Disney World prop to my eyes but I only have that and the "behind the glass" premiere prop photos to go by.
Thanks for the input! :)
Pretty confident on the scale from my own references, but I am open to confirmation on a different scale (y)

I use a lot of photogrammetry when modeling, and when that process gets combined with some 'known' values and a good set of photo references, it makes it a LOT easier to dial in the proper dimensions and proportion. It beats my naked eye anyways :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back