Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - Alarm Clock

Rubibilly

Hey folks,

I'm looking for this alarm clock from the current Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.
Unfortunately I couldn't get a better shot. The alarm clock is on the windowsill at the beginning of the film. Almost after the WW2 review and at the end of the film at the same place. The shape should be from the 1960s. Does somebody has any idea?
Screenshot_20230803_071256_Samsung Internet-01.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230803_071256_Samsung Internet-02.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230803_071256_Samsung Internet-02.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 108
Hey folks,

I'm looking for this alarm clock from the current Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.
Unfortunately I couldn't get a better shot. The alarm clock is on the windowsill at the beginning of the film. Almost after the WW2 review and at the end of the film at the same place. The shape should be from the 1960s. Does somebody has any idea?
Solid mystery. Hope someone can identify it, I haven't been able to find I direct match so far.

The face reminds me of an Elgin travel clock, they had a preponderance of dark insets and densely populated numerals. Plus, the Japanese clocks of the time were more design-adventurous.
The overall case design and pedestal are similar to an early Westclox Big Ben.

The top button design looks more like a Soviet-made Slava Sputnik Commemorative clock minus the orbital flourish. I was thinking a sputnik-reference might make sense from an establishing shot, trying to establish the period before the soundtrack is locked down. I wasn't alive yet so I don't know what export and import controls of '69 looked like, in terms of soviet-made alarm clocks making their way to U.S. headboards, if that would be apocryphal.

Keeping in that establishing-shot mental framework, a West German Kaiser brand clock might make sense as well and the top button design for the vintage Kaiser clocks is similar to whats pictured, though their designs seemed broadly more conservative.

Some of those listed here seemed pretty close in casing design though not in clock-face.
https://www.quintessentiallyfrench.com/product-page/french-vintage-alarm-clocks

Fascinating how many clocks from this era look like frowning robot faces from the back. I guess there are only so many mechanical movement designs.

This clock seems very similar:

Alarm Clock Fashion, 1970s For Sale at 1stDibs

Though the brand name "Fashion" isn't helping the search-fu and the date range of 70-79 is wrong.

Last edited:
Solid mystery. Hope someone can identify it, I haven't been able to find I direct match so far.

The face reminds me of an Elgin travel clock, they had a preponderance of dark insets and densely populated numerals. Plus, the Japanese clocks of the time were more design-adventurous.
The overall case design and pedestal are similar to an early Westclox Big Ben.

The top button design looks more like a Soviet-made Slava Sputnik Commemorative clock minus the orbital flourish. I was thinking a sputnik manufacturer might make sense from an establishing shot, trying to establish the period before the soundtrack is locked down. I wasn't alive yet so I don't know what export and import controls of '69 looked like, in terms of soviet-made alarm clocks making their way to U.S. headboards, if that would be apocryphal.

Keeping in that establishing-shot mental framework, a West German Kaiser brand clock might make sense as well and the top button design for the vintage Kaiser clocks is similar to whats pictured, though their designs seemed broadly more conservative.

Some of those listed here seemed pretty close in casing design though not in clock-face.
https://www.quintessentiallyfrench.com/product-page/french-vintage-alarm-clocks

Fascinating how many clocks from this era look like frowning robot faces from the back. I guess there are only so many mechanical movement designs.

This clock seems very similar:

Alarm Clock Fashion, 1970s For Sale at 1stDibs

Though the brand name "Fashion" isn't helping the search-fu and the date range of 70-79 is wrong.
Thank you for your detailed view. Basically, I had already the same thoughts. Just like you, I didn't get any further with it either. Unfortunately!

Thank you for the very helpful hint. But the two additional movements on the large dial bother me. I do believe that this is a Junghans Bivox model, but not the "Silent-Tic" variant. More this found Variant:

Attachments

• Picsart_23-08-13_07-56-57-738.jpg
    Picsart_23-08-13_07-56-57-738.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 92
Thank you for the very helpful hint. But the two additional movements on the large dial bother me. I do believe that this is a Junghans Bivox model, but not the "Silent-Tic" variant. More this found Variant:
If you look closer to the screenshot from the movie you will notice two even white lines on the dial - one on the left and another one on the right side of the hands. And the look again the picture you provided of the silent-tic. It has Junghans written on it (to the left of the hands) as well as Silentic (to the right) both words are written in white.

If I would take a look on this alarm clock from 6 -10 ft away these words would looks as EVEN WHITE LINES to me.

So, I don’t know why you think that’s a non Silentic model.

I have not tried to "measure" the images provided, but I have always thought the prop has an added "ring" on the front of the crystal. This reduces the front on the clock to a size which is smaller than the standard images I have found. This reduction tends to cover or shade the numerals and the other face details such as the additional movements. I wondered if this was necessary because the prop was missing the original crystal and had to be replaced with a small glass.

I have not tried to "measure" the images provided, but I have always thought the prop has an added "ring" on the front of the crystal. This reduces the front on the clock to a size which is smaller than the standard images I have found. This reduction tends to cover or shade the numerals and the other face details such as the additional movements. I wondered if this was necessary because the prop was missing the original crystal and had to be replaced with a small glass.
I‘m pretty sure it’s a standard „feature“.
I have a Junghans alarm clock that is 85% of that from the movie.
Except it has a full white dial and sphere shaped feet.
That one has that „added“ ring as well.

smithjohnj
I attached a few pictures of my alarm clocks.
The first one is pretty much the one from the movie except of the all white front.
But I plan to change that .
You can see there first hand there is no added ring.
The second one in red also shows that narrowed front.

So it‘s standard by design.

Attachments

• IMG_4931.jpeg
    IMG_4931.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4932.jpeg
    IMG_4932.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4933.jpeg
    IMG_4933.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4934.jpeg
    IMG_4934.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
smithjohnj
I attached a few pictures of my alarm clocks.
The first one is pretty much the one from the movie except of the all white front.
But I plan to change that .
You can see there first hand there is no added ring.
The second one in red also shows that narrowed front.

So it‘s standard by design.
I would go for the first one...feet are a match;) Now, all you have to do is to transform the face:D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back