In your opinion - what's the WORST Pixar movie?

I think Cars 2 is going to be my pick just because it's a sequel to Cars. With Cars, you can at least understand that they tried to give it a story that wasn't done for the sake of toys. This storyline however is so blatantly obvious in what it's trying to accomplish that it actually spells it out for you.

Various International Settings = More variety of cars to produce.
Action Spy Story = Cars that can do more action oriented stuff like flip out guns, rockets and wings to fly.

Again, this is an action spy story! How does that fit into the first Cars movie at all? I could at least understand if it was a spinoff with completely different characters, but this film has the same characters who have no business being in an action genre.

Again, this is an action spy story! How does that fit into the first Cars movie at all? I could at least understand if it was a spinoff with completely different characters, but this film has the same characters who have no business being in an action genre.

That's exactly what I thought when I say the commercial.

I'm not sure the word "worst" applies to Pixar, but CARS is probably their most, ah, problematic effort.

On the other hand, the sequel is fantastic, a fact which more than atones for the original's shortcomings.

Another vote for Cars. They did some market research to figure out what toy 1-9 year old boys liked to play with the most and then slapped together a 2 hour commercial.

Well, that part worked, then, because we have about 40 of the things. :lol

I'm also glad to see a beat-up orange Gremlin in the new one as a bad guy, because when I was in college I had a beat-up orange Gremlin. So that'll be daddy's car when we race on the floor.

I'm just shocked Jeyl's response wasn't "ALL OF THEM."

Now what on Earth would give you that impression? Would it be because I made a critical post about Pixar's lackluster efforts is making movies that had a story focused around a female character? Psps. That's a criticism to the studio, not their films.

Well, that part worked, then, because we have about 40 of the things. :lol

I'm also glad to see a beat-up orange Gremlin in the new one as a bad guy, because when I was in college I had a beat-up orange Gremlin. So that'll be daddy's car when we race on the floor.

Only 40? Lightweight! Two boys here and we have over a 100!

Doug

Having just watched CARS for the first time, it is now officially my least favorite Pixar film for several reasons, the main one being that the design of the characters made them inherently uninteresting, IMO. The eyes being the windshields - rather than the usual headlights - made the eyes WAY too big in proportion to the rest of the vehicles, so they lacked subtlety and expression. And without giving the cars the ability to use their tires like hands, they are incapable of manipulating props or interesting gesture. They drive around and mug, and that's about all they can do. And frankly, I got REALLY sick of engine noises and tire screeching - the audio landscape of the film is incredibly monotonous.

And the story was extremely bland, devoid of the kind of good big surprises and emotional payoffs that fuel the best Pixar movies.

Oh, and the environment in which the majority of the movie was set was the most boring of any of the Pixar films.

My 2 cents

RRR

A bugs life, when I was a kid and it came out I hated it, still hate it and I've watched it quite a few times, even earlier in the year to see if I would appreciate it more, honestly, I don't even count it as a Pixar movie, I think it's that bad.

Wait. A Bugs Life was a Pixar movie? Man, it sucked. Just kidding, I know it's a Pixar movie, but I'm in the same camp as you. I don't consider A Bugs Life a Pixar movie because of the massive suckage.

It's easily Ratatouille. It's just full of dull characters and has the most predictable elements out of any of Pixar's movies. Cars, A Bug's Life and Finding Nemo are far off from my favorite(s) but I do manage to find something worthwhile in each of'em. Although, Cars 2's existence seems to be completely pointless given the nonsensical leap from American motoring nostalgia to James Bond parody.

It's a tie between The Incredibles and Wall-E for my favorite, though, followed closely by Toy Story.

Cars is probably the only one I didn't like so far... and the big slap in the face was that they gave it a sequel. Why give your worst movie a sequel? I've yet to hear from anyone that thought it was THAT good when compared to their other movies.

According to an article on stitchkingdom.com it's all about the moolah!

"Cars was the highest grossing animated film in the U.S. in 2006 and has generated $2B in annual global retail sales every year since then. Cars has been a huge and consistent hit with boys, parents and collectors; years after the original film’s debut, Lightning McQueen and Mater still rank as the #1 and #2 most popular movie characters among moms of boys 2-5. Cars Toons, the hilarious series of shorts airing on Disney Channel, has made Cars relevant to young boys and provided fresh merchandising themes for incremental retail programs globally. To date, there have been 150 million die-cast cars sold around the world."

Several Pixar films seem to be a small gold nugget, wrapped into a schmaltzy sandwich of pure average. The early part of Wall-E was a perfect short film, same with the original premise of UP, until somebody hurled a geriatric Indiana Jones into the plot. This doesn't mean they are bad films, but rather a missed opportunity to make something unique.

On the other hand, the sequel is fantastic, a fact which more than atones for the original's shortcomings.

How is this possible? Explain!

As to the OP, I'd nominate either Cars or WALL-E. Whoever said WALL-E was two incompatible films jammed together was correct. Great film, until we get to the Axiom and everything goes to #%$^. Oh – and Ratatouille is fantastic, easily one of their best. Shame on all of you who don't like it!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back