Imperial Star Destroyer. 1/5000 Bandai or 1/2700 Revell????

Moska

Sr Member
Hello friends.

I have always wanted to have a good Imperial Star Destroyer in my Star Wars model collection. I have some AMT/ERTL kits but they are very bad and I have never found the motivation to build them.

I think the best kit available on the market is the Randy Cooper one but, its price is too high for me. So unfortunately it is out.

My question is choosing between Bandai's 1/5000 scale model or Revell's 1/2700 scale model.

I know the Bandai model is very accurate and has great detail but it is too small. Even smaller than the AMT/ERTL model. And I don't like that.

Can any of you tell me if the Revell model is worth it?
Is it accurate? Is the detailing good or do I have to spend many hours correcting or adding details?

The price of both models is very similar, but if Revell's is not a good model, I think I'm going to move on from the small Bandai model and continue to wait for something better to hit the market.

Thanks and regards.
Rafa

The revell Zvezda SD is a very nice kit. as for accuracy you may be outta luck. Its kind of a blend between the ANH model and the 8 footer they made for TESB. It most closely resembles the SD from Rogue one which I believe is 100% digital.

All that being said its a very nice SD that totally looks the part. unless you're dealing with Star Wars studio scale people nobody will know that its not accurate to any one particular model. Built up lit and painted well it Looks like a Star Destroyer immediately. There are also bits you can get off shapeways to make it more like the studio models if you're so inclined. I worked with Tony (FZ6 around here) to make parts to add to the kit so that it closely resembles the ANH SD... but remember it will never be totally accurate...

On this page there are parts for both the Devastaor (ANH) and the Avenger (ESB) so pick which you want and go for it - or just builld OOB ( I went ANH/Devastator)

Jedi Dade

I built the Bandai 1/5000 and was very disappointed and have been working on the Zvezda/Revell 1/2700 for over 3 years now with massive amounts of approximated greeblie details added, raising the trench height because the digital assets from Rogue One are too thin for an Avenger Class Star Destroyer we see in ESB and ROTJ. And of course my first big attempt at lighting the kit. Despite the arduous and tedious time and work I have spent - due to the size and the rewards of all the work in detail - I am already happier with the 1/2700 Destroyer than I am the Bandai. Also because of how much of myself I put into the build with all the customization I undertook. I'm just beginning to airbrush panel details on the hull and am beginning to see the light at the end of the build.

Zvezda Avenger-Class ISD-II - WIP

Hello Jedi Dade and INVAR. Thank you very much for your valuable information. I find it very useful to be able to make a decision.

Of course, I understand that it is very difficult - or impossible - for a commercial kit to bring all the details of the models created by IL&M.

I have discarded the Bandai kit. I definitely DO NOT WANT such a small Star Destroyer.

Revell's kit… I find it very tempting, but I know myself and I'm afraid of myself. I know that I will not be able to avoid falling into the trap of "detailing it a little more." And that can take me to invest years of work, as has happened to INVAR (impressive work my friend (y)(y):love:).

I have several projects on the table. And many others in mind. I think, for my own good, I'm going to try to forget about the Star Destroyer.

And it's a shame. I really wish I had it in my collection :(.

Thank you very much again and best regards.
Rafa

Stop! :) There is an older thread about a 3D printed Star Destroyer. It is super detailed and was even used as an asset in an official capacity. I don't remember the name of the modeler, but he made it available for free and many have 3D printed it. There are a number of versions available on the net, but his was the goto. You could slice it up and print it in whatever size you would like. I don't have the time atm, but I will get back to you if you can't find the thread. I've been meaning to revisit this myself. I have the Zvezda model, but I am also curious about printing one. I know I've looked at the digital model and it was not exactly print ready as is. Lots of flipped normals and stuff, but I've seen it printed so I know it's doable.

Actually the Revell kit builds pretty nice out of the box... as does the Bandai - although I understand there are issues with light leaks if you light it. Yes there are inaccuracies but its still a darn nice start destroyer built exactly as it is... as is the bandai - its just small.

Jedi Dade

I built the Bandai 1/5000 and was very disappointed and have been working on the Zvezda/Revell 1/2700 for over 3 years now with massive amounts of approximated greeblie details added, raising the trench height because the digital assets from Rogue One are too thin for an Avenger Class Star Destroyer we see in ESB and ROTJ. And of course my first big attempt at lighting the kit. Despite the arduous and tedious time and work I have spent - due to the size and the rewards of all the work in detail - I am already happier with the 1/2700 Destroyer than I am the Bandai. Also because of how much of myself I put into the build with all the customization I undertook. I'm just beginning to airbrush panel details on the hull and am beginning to see the light at the end of the build.

Zvezda Avenger-Class ISD-II - WIP
If you're trying to make the Revell/Zvesda kit into either of the Star Destroyer models as a replica you're in for a tough road. Personally I think the kit more closely resembles the ANH Devastator model in dimensions so I replaced the main guns, added a couple along the trench, added the "fins" to the main engines and called it a day... it looks the part pretty well. To make it into the Avenger you need to do a lot more modding to the main dimensions of the kit. It will look like a Star destroyer no doubt - but you may not be happy with it as "the Avenger". I hope that makes sense.

Jedi Dade

Stop! :) There is an older thread about a 3D printed Star Destroyer. It is super detailed and was even used as an asset in an official capacity. I don't remember the name of the modeler, but he made it available for free and many have 3D printed it. There are a number of versions available on the net, but his was the goto. You could slice it up and print it in whatever size you would like. I don't have the time atm, but I will get back to you if you can't find the thread. I've been meaning to revisit this myself. I have the Zvezda model, but I am also curious about printing one. I know I've looked at the digital model and it was not exactly print ready as is. Lots of flipped normals and stuff, but I've seen it printed so I know it's doable.
If you can post a link to it I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like.

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

There is also the other Revell kit that is not the Zvezda one. It is bigger than the Bandai, basically the same size as the MPC one. It is also much better detailed than the MPC one and more accurate shape wise. It has ridiculous landing gear options and a sound box, but that can be covered up. For what it is and it's price it is a compromise between the work you will have to put into the Zvezda(Revell) and the detail of the Bandai

The Bandai kit is amazing detail wise, but it is the smallest and so many people have issues with the front bowing up which kind of makes it a bit of a dud as far as Bandai releases go

Yeah, the smaller Revell kit is surprisingly good if you can figure out how to get rid of the landing gear. I also have the Anigrand SD which is roughly halfway between the Zvezda model and the Randy Cooper kit--it's a really nice, big size and goes together very well.

Yeah, the smaller Revell kit is surprisingly good if you can figure out how to get rid of the landing gear. I also have the Anigrand SD which is roughly halfway between the Zvezda model and the Randy Cooper kit--it's a really nice, big size and goes together very well.
yeah but these are getting really hard to get and are pricey when you find them...

Jedi Dade

It's also quite expensive and not a good kit for those builders who have not worked with resin models before.

I agree the older smaller 36" was quite the challenge but Randy made so many improvements on the new 42" version. I can make an okay prop but I suck!!!!! at models. So I was worried, but I got it together will relative ease. It's a totally different kit than the 36". The entire command tower is one piece except for the front "window." The thing is amazing.

Anyway it's worth it. Huge, awesome, and amazing. IMO of course.

Hello friends.

First of all, thank you very much for your comments, ideas and suggestions. I can see that supply in the market is limited and that prices make it even more limited.

In a perfect world, my choice would certainly be the Randy Cooper kit, but ...

I think my main choice is still the Revell kit. Due to its size, detail and price. I think it is the most suitable for my possibilities. If I complicate my life with the extra-detailing or not, it's my problem.

Really, all your comments have been very useful to me to make a decision. I really appreciate it.

The Star Destroyer has always been for me one of the most iconic models in the series. And I have always wanted to have a good piece in my collection.

I hope to show you all one day the result in this forum.

Greetings and thanks again.
Rafa

I wouldn't bash the Bandai kit too much. I have both and decided to build the Bandai first. I ditched the white diffusers and snipped the pegs aligning the hull to get rid of the smile, mostly. Here's a photo I made of mine with my PG Falcon:

Night Pursuit_IG - 2K.jpg

SB

Yeah, I have built them both and they are both sweet. The Bandai is super accurate and the level of detail is amazing, as are all the Bandai kits. However the Revell was also a sweet build due to it's size which (I feel) when building the star destroyer gives it a 'slight' edge in my book, an SD should be large :)

Both great kits, both have pro/con but either is a ton of fun I feel.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back