I'm Finally Making My Own Movie - "PAPER PLATES"

PoopaPapaPalps

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's a small, little, local movie, but it's been something I've been dreaming of doing for years, and something I feel like my life has been gearing towards; a real test of mettle. I actually wrote the script for it 4-5 years ago and made half-hearted attempts to get it going then. However, it was a sudden death of a dear friend that crystallized it for me: if I want something done, I better do it now. I talk about movies all the time here, what I love, what I hate about new cinema; it's high time I put real money where my mouth is or shut up. I'm throwing my all at this endeavor and if this is the first and last film I'm going to make, I'm giving it all I've got.

I've mentioned before across various posts on this site that I'm a film-fan first and foremost. I only got into prop collecting as a means to feel closer to the films that I admire most, so my collection is very small and only contains things that I have genuine affection for. For a while now, I've been wanting to get away from just "replication" of things (and kind of leaving prop-making/collecting all together) and actually put my efforts to things that I can shape; the things I make having use, and I control its outcome. Again, the previous mentioned tragedy made it clear to me what I needed to do. I've hinted at this before but my ANH Kenobi Stunt Hilt project run was partially funding my budget, on top of my own savings. I am producing everything for this movie and will likely destroy myself in doing it.

If anyone follows me outside of the RPF, you'll already know what I've been currently up to but I wanted to do a proper "build log" here on the RPF for what I'm actually building for the film. I'll be doing props, costumes, SP/FX and FX make-up (what little there are), on top of actual production stuff like directing, filming, lighting, editing, titles, sound, etc. and I think it'd be fitting to post some stuff about it here as I go.

PaperPlatesNamedBanner.png

Type: Feature film (90 mins)
Logline: Four idiots are stuck in a bank in the middle of nowhere after immediately botching a would-be series of bank heists.
Budget: ~50k
Location: Viola, IL+ a few locations across the QC, shot all on location
Shoot schedule: Aug. 16th - Sept. 8th/9th

Last edited:
Amazing. Congratulations. It’s the dream for so many of us that never comes true.

And for someone like me who came from and has nothing to make this with, it's one dream that will end in guaranteed ruin. I think that's why it doesn't happen for so many; they'd rather just avoid it. I know that's not the case for all and could be something that can be avoided, but not for me. That is what it takes to make this happen and I'm at that point to pay it.

And for someone like me who came from and has nothing to make this with, it's one dream that will end in guaranteed ruin. I think that's why it doesn't happen for so many; they'd rather just avoid it. I know that's not the case for all and could be something that can be avoided, but not for me. That is what it takes to make this happen and I'm at that point to pay it.
Yes; it's a work of passion and love and discovery and getting back-up after eating a concrete sandwich...but man! I wouldn't have traded it for anything in the world. Making movies with my father and friends in Brussels ruined us (money wise) but the experience and the memories attached to those wonderful days are priceless:cool::cool:(y)(y) Eager to see your next update and, maybe, behind-the-scene? Very exiting news:love::love:

Tell us where we can see it! I'm so excited for you. I've always dreamt of doing the same thing. I wish you all the best with this and THIS is the type of inspiration that motivates me to follow my own creations! I'm so excited to see how it turns out.

Tell us where we can see it! I'm so excited for you. I've always dreamt of doing the same thing. I wish you all the best with this and THIS is the type of inspiration that motivates me to follow my own creations! I'm so excited to see how it turns out.

I'm a pretty fast editor so I'm hoping to have something to send for nearby festival play in Feb-May next year. I'm hoping to "tour" with it first at festivals, see if it's good enough to get enough traction to play at festivals across the country, and then see about distribution from the reception it gets there. Otherwise, I'll self-distribute it myself. I'll call up every small theater or chain that would be willing to play it for a few weeks, and if I can or can't do that, my last resort is putting it through streaming (Netflix is my preferred here) and risk it being buried under mounds of other crap.

I know I can make this one, and I know I can do a damn good job of it, but even before my first shot, I'm already thinking of the next script I'm going to do, and the slew of other ones after that. Whether it works as I hope it will, I want to make more after this and I hope in future that means having the pleasure in collabing with ya, Psab Keel! I've always appreciated our discussions over the years about this sort of stuff. You're the kind of man I'd welcome and appreciate in my corner.

I'm a pretty fast editor so I'm hoping to have something to send for nearby festival play in Feb-May next year. I'm hoping to "tour" with it first at festivals, see if it's good enough to get enough traction to play at festivals across the country, and then see about distribution from the reception it gets there. Otherwise, I'll self-distribute it myself. I'll call up every small theater or chain that would be willing to play it for a few weeks, and if I can or can't do that, my last resort is putting it through streaming (Netflix is my preferred here) and risk it being buried under mounds of other crap.

I know I can make this one, and I know I can do a damn good job of it, but even before my first shot, I'm already thinking of the next script I'm going to do, and the slew of other ones after that. Whether it works as I hope it will, I want to make more after this and I hope in future that means having the pleasure in collabing with ya, Psab Keel! I've always appreciated our discussions over the years about this sort of stuff. You're the kind of man I'd welcome and appreciate in my corner.

I'm so pumped for you man and if there's ever an opportunity to collaborate I would be game! I have very much appreciated your insights into story and filmmaking over the years and I can't wait to see this new venture you go on!!

So, here's the first serious "build" that I've been working on for the last few days while I wait to hear back from various folks.

20230520_204912.jpg
20230520_204923.jpg
20230520_204937.jpg

This is an old Fuji 1.9, 11-109mm 4:3 TV parfocal lens ("snap zoom" lens) that I snagged off of eBay and am currently rehousing with a rear optic from a M42 50mm prime so I can fit to my Sony camera. I should say that I really don't know enough about lenses and their construction to be mucking about like this, but working off of the original mod parts for this, I figured something out. This still has to be paired with an adapter but, should it work as I hope it does, a $450 used and refurbished TV News lens will do something typically worth $2500-$4500 new. This will really cut down on filming time and will be my main lens for much of production if all pans out. The machining skills learned from making lightsabers really came through here, even if I still can't thread on the lathe! I also realized that if it works, this would be a pretty decent side-gig to make some cash after making the movie.

Also, here's the namesake of the film.

20230520_205342.jpg

Last edited:
So, here's the first serious "build" that I've been working on for the last few days while I wait to hear back from various folks.

View attachment 1703105View attachment 1703106View attachment 1703107

This is an old Fuji 1.9, 11-109mm 4:3 TV parfocal lens ("snap zoom" lens) that I snagged off of eBay and am currently rehousing with a rear optic from a M42 50mm prime so I can fit to my Sony camera. I should say that I really don't know enough about lenses and their construction to be mucking about like this, but working off of the original mod parts for this, I figured something out. This still has to be paired with an adapter but, should it work as I hope it does, a $450 used and refurbished TV News lens will do something typically worth $2500-$4500 new. This will really cut down on filming time and will be my main lens for much of production if all pans out. The machining skills learned from making lightsabers really came through here, even if I still can't thread on the lathe! I also realized that if it works, this would be a pretty decent side-gig to make some cash after making the movie.

Also, here's the namesake of the film.

View attachment 1703108
What camera are you shooting on?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back