I'm a Bro and I Sew... Who else is with me?

561942_10151220066021880_1261164873_n.jpg
This is a katana outfit i made a while back

A singer fashion mate is a great starter. you can find them. for 100-150. It has 60 some stitches to play with and trust me , the variety is nice. its easy to use.

allllright.... im waaaaaaay to lazy to go through all these posts.. im just looking for a basic set up cause i want to learn how to sew insted of asking people to do my dirty work for me. so can anyone help me out and point the direction for a basic machine that i can beat the **** out of and survive lol...

and yes i am a dude lolol

( sorry for not looking through before posting lmfao )

basic machine that i can beat the **** out of and survive

It really depends on what you're planning to sew. If you're just going to be making things out of standard garment fabrics and maybe some decorator-weight fabrics, I would say check out Amazon and read some reviews. Personally, I've always gone with Singer or Brother (mine are industrials, but these are also trusted home-sewing brands). If you're looking at getting into leather or really heavy fabrics like fur, vinyl, heavy-weight denim and worbla, you're getting into industrial territory and, if you want to use a domestic machine, do your homework. Just like a car, the repairs can cost more than you initially put into it if you get something that's not built for the wear you intend to give it. So, if you really are going to beat the ****** out of it, spend some extra up front and get a workhorse rather than wasting time and money.

Hey guys, so if I wanted to get into sewing where would I get started? Any tips? How did some of you get your start?

It really depends on what you're planning to sew. If you're just going to be making things out of standard garment fabrics and maybe some decorator-weight fabrics, I would say check out Amazon and read some reviews. Personally, I've always gone with Singer or Brother (mine are industrials, but these are also trusted home-sewing brands). If you're looking at getting into leather or really heavy fabrics like fur, vinyl, heavy-weight denim and worbla, you're getting into industrial territory and, if you want to use a domestic machine, do your homework. Just like a car, the repairs can cost more than you initially put into it if you get something that's not built for the wear you intend to give it. So, if you really are going to beat the ****** out of it, spend some extra up front and get a workhorse rather than wasting time and money.

alright sounds good... i saw some machines on amazon i might pick up. i appreciate the help

New to the forums. I was practicing sewing for a bit, but fell out of it. Hoping to get back into it soon. Here's the best thing I've made thus far.
l7HqTlQ.jpg

God, I feel bad, I forgot all about this thread.

Not much new to show, as I haven't had the time or money to make anything.

But I did make my Uncle Fester robe on Halloween...

Halloween 1.jpgHalloween 2.jpgHalloween 3.jpg

Add ny name to the list. For a while I thought I was the only guy that sewed. I stand corrected. Really comes in handy around Christmas and birthdays when I need an expensive looking gift and have no money, I wanted a Star Fleet Uniform and was too cheap to pay someone to make it, Told my wife I was going to learn how to sew so I could make it myself, so she bought me a sewing machine for Christmas, that was almost 30 years ago. I generally list a sewing machine as one of the power tools I know how to use.

Add ny name to the list. For a while I thought I was the only guy that sewed. I stand corrected. Really comes in handy around Christmas and birthdays when I need an expensive looking gift and have no money, I wanted a Star Fleet Uniform and was too cheap to pay someone to make it, Told my wife I was going to learn how to sew so I could make it myself, so she bought me a sewing machine for Christmas, that was almost 30 years ago. I generally list a sewing machine as one of the power tools I know how to use.

Holy crap, I'm you 30 years ago! ...kind of. I BADLY want a Starfleet uniform, and my wife even has a sewing machine! I need to just dive in!

Learn how to sew a straight line, everything else is easy after that. Well, sew a straight line and think inside out.

Last edited:
Short version: If you are looking to buy a machine read the link at the end of this post.

Slightly longer version: I got an email from Joann Fabric for some of their sales and I saw they had some Janome machines on sale. I know they have been selling them for a while but I remember when I got mine from a dealer the warranty in the box said it was only valid if you bought the machine from a dealer. I was waiting for something to finish at work so I checked online and Joann is still not listed as a dealer on their website. So I did a search to see if the warranty limitation has changed and I could not find anything, but I did find an article about the various machines. Two things you can get from the article:
1. Buy from a dealer, not S-Mart
2. A general idea of which brand is better.

Too Much Information (Updated)

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Hi there, Fashion Designer by trade, start my own label when I was 16. So yes I am a bro that sews. :) I sew a lot for my son who is now 9. Here are some of my earlier creations for women.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
That is wicked Froggie! Really looks like it belongs on a battlefield. :cool:thumbsup

Thanks. The people responsible for tent placement did a double take when we said how big it'd be when raised. It was a first for them.

I've actually documented the process, and planned on writing a sewing guide. We found a lot of info in different places and decided to try gathering it into one big combination document, but I'm only halfway done and it's a jumbled mess so far.

I just finished making the coat for my Connor Kenway cosplay. It's made from scratch using this pattern from deviantArt: http://trujin.deviantart.com/art/AC3-Connor-Coat-Sophisticated-Body-Shape-290200889

10382143_495462507266804_6513796592016762356_n.jpg
10511161_495463820600006_7963985533490880071_n.jpg
10150663_495464213933300_35892331555158465_n.jpg
10487502_495464443933277_9194206794721631675_n.jpg
10514490_495464673933254_6840000412168073875_n.jpg

Sorry about not having better pics, the lighting in my room wasn't very good. I'll probably be making a thread for the entire costume in a few days if anyone wants to see WIP pics of the coat (or anything I make for it in the future).

I used to sew, but I'm trying to get back into it. I do costumes, mostly Doctor Who. I am working on sewing together a foam Batman 1989 suit for my Batman manikin.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back