ILM Model Shop closing : (

Video killed the radio star....but in this case.....CGI.....
Its really sad to see something so iconic, used to make so many iconic films, now have to be sold like this.
Besides movies not really using models like these anymore, but what is the reason to now sell it all? and not keep for memory sake?
You almost wish some big billionaire movie fan would just come and buy it all, but keep it all intact as is, for the memories, if possible.

Its really sad to see something so iconic, used to make so many iconic films, now have to be sold like this.
Besides movies not really using models like these anymore, but what is the reason to now sell it all? and not keep for memory sake?
You almost wish some big billionaire movie fan would just come and buy it all, but keep it all intact as is, for the memories, if possible.
Simple, money. If they kept it around just for the sake of keeping it around it's costing them money even if they own the building because they'd still have to pay property taxes on it. And they'd have to spend some money on basic upkeep in order to keep it from crumbling down because of a lack of maintenance. They'd have to pay for security as well in order to keep people from breaking in and vandalizing and/or squatting in it.

Simple, money. If they kept it around just for the sake of keeping it around it's costing them money even if they own the building because they'd still have to pay property taxes on it. And they'd have to spend some money on basic upkeep in order to keep it from crumbling down because of a lack of maintenance. They'd have to pay for security as well in order to keep people from breaking in and vandalizing and/or squatting in it.
Well, I know....but, its Hollywood. They can afford to pay an already stupidly rich actor 50+ million dollars, but can't spend a fraction of that to save the place that basically got them a lot of that money in the first place, through the effects that help draw people to see a film.
Guess I'm the nostalgic type.

I absolutely hated to see the water park, Wet N Wild, close and torn down in Orlando, as it was one of the first water parks ever built.
But Universal bought it, built a bigger better one, and torn that one down.
I hated to see that, all in the name of money.

Well, I know....but, its Hollywood. They can afford to pay an already stupidly rich actor 50+ million dollars, but can't spend a fraction of that to save the place that basically got them a lot of that money in the first place, through the effects that help draw people to see a film.
Guess I'm the nostalgic type.

I absolutely hated to see the water park, Wet N Wild, close and torn down in Orlando, as it was one of the first water parks ever built.
But Universal bought it, built a bigger better one, and torn that one down.
I hated to see that, all in the name of money.
But paying a $50 million for an actor is a part of doing business and it has the potential to make them money at the box office because their movie stars so and so and a big name can draw in audiences. But an unused building does nothing but cost them money, there's no return on their investment. Their only choices are to either empty it and convert it for some other use, clear it out so it can be rented/leased out for someone else to use for whatever, or just sell it. Bottom line, companies don't stay in business by wasting money, which is exactly what keeping an old building around that does nothing for their bottom line just for the sake of nostalgia.

It's certainly the end of an era. It's just a shame that this video is from Golden Armor .com's YouTube channel. Clearly the guy's got connections to people in the industry.

Like Hollywood Studios trying to force physical media out now, Hollywood forced out models instead of using it in conjunction with CG. Now, there’s so few directors who use model effects while everyone else uses CG (and in a lot of cases, using CG more than actually having a good plot for their film).

But paying a $50 million for an actor is a part of doing business and it has the potential to make them money at the box office because their movie stars so and so and a big name can draw in audiences. But an unused building does nothing but cost them money, there's no return on their investment. Their only choices are to either empty it and convert it for some other use, clear it out so it can be rented/leased out for someone else to use for whatever, or just sell it. Bottom line, companies don't stay in business by wasting money, which is exactly what keeping an old building around that does nothing for their bottom line just for the sake of nostalgia.
I know......I know.........

Did anyone catch the fact that the video is from the YouTube channel of a known recaster? One who was banned from theRPF. I mean it was cool to see the model shop and all, but I wonder what kinds of connections this guy has to gain such access?

Did anyone catch the fact that the video is from the YouTube channel of a known recaster? One who was banned from theRPF. I mean it was cool to see the model shop and all, but I wonder what kinds of connections this guy has to gain such access?
Interesting...wouldn't have known that. I guess if a person is recasting, they surely will try and push themselves into "knowing" people at the the expense of others hard work.

One thing I liked, was how they explained the whole, etched metal with the death star 2. I never really thought about what process they went though to make it.
I love how the guys at ILM used every known technique to make things., and make it work on screen. True movie magic.

I just want this wall.....ALL the random types of gold...I mean styrene.....

Styrene.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back