ILM Model Shop closing : (

Simple, money. If they kept it around just for the sake of keeping it around it's costing them money even if they own the building because they'd still have to pay property taxes on it. And they'd have to spend some money on basic upkeep in order to keep it from crumbling down because of a lack of maintenance. They'd have to pay for security as well in order to keep people from breaking in and vandalizing and/or squatting in it.
There will come the day when everything will follow suit, and we'll all exist "online" due to the same reasons.

Then the sun turns into a red giant and swallows the earth.

Then the Andromeda Galaxy collides with the Milky Way Galaxy.

Then the Universe expands until everything is so far apart, other stars are beyond the event horizon of being able to see one another.

Then Black Holes merge with one another and then evaporate from the emission of Hawking Radiation.

Then all matter breaks down into subatomic particles, and the heat death of the Universe arrives.

Then the Universe is nothing more than a sea of equally distributed photos, and nothing happens.

Then the Universe closes because it's costing money even if they own the Universe because they'd still have to pay property taxes on it. And they'd have to spend some money on basic upkeep in order to keep it from crumbling down because of a lack of maintenance. They'd have to pay for security as well in order to keep people from breaking in and vandalizing and/or squatting in it.

Reality ends, as does time.

THE END.

Then "the end" gets closed for the same reasons, and they open a damned Amazon warehouse there.

Bugger.

Last edited:
This auction is only what was left after the assets were auctioned off over a decade ago when the bldg left the LFL umbrella and the moron who had acquired it had no effing clue what to do. Sean and a few others made high bids to try to keep as much around as they could and not have to try to re-stock and re-organize. It's only a fraction of what was there.

T2.jpg

If I were Bezos or Musk...I would have bailed them out...the world was more interesting with them in it as a group.

That or on my way out, green screen drapes and a video camera...put the biggest model in the center but with high explosives..the building filled with explosive gases...and go out with a bang so the building is unusable to anyone else.

Yes, the closing is very sad. I remember first reading about ILM in 'Starlog' and other magazines shortly after the original 'Star Wars' movie premiered in '77. I've loved following their work as they took part in amazing movies over the last several decades. I noted that Adam Savage and the Tested.com team went on site a couple of times, making some video tours and interviewing some great folks. I look forward to their roll-out of that video series.

Even watching the video and I'm buzzing with the urge to build models. You can tell Adam is in heaven!
And he’s also preserving film history. It may not be a prop, a costume, a set piece, or something on screen. He preserved a piece of film history that no one would ever consider. A piece of behind the scenes. Every modeler who build everything seen on the screens from Star Wars, the Star Trek movies and more have touched those racks, have searched those shelves for pieces, to restock those shelves. Most people wouldn’t think about it. Adam saving those shelves would be like saving the desk of Edgar Allan Poe.

Remembered to finally watch Adam's video on saving the ILM shelves. Just that energy and excitement for the passion of doing it all, is so fun to watch. Really makes you want to go build something.
And of all the tons of people that could have ended up with all that stuff, he is really the best and most perfect person.

My work area is extremely so tiny vs his. After last years kitchen restore, which made a mess of the house and I couldn't really get to this space, I feel like him with the whole, I'll get cleaning and rearranging it....someday....
I've been using the space in front of my computer, moving the keyboard out of the way. While nice to have the monitors there for references, that space is just NOT meant for building things.

My super messy desk, which is in this little area in the dinning room, and underneath the shelf with all my AT-ATs.
1000013015.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back