IG88 Head

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Lordsandy, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Lordsandy

Lordsandy Well-Known Member

I just got my IG88 head in the mail.........thank you Markus.

Has anyone attempted to cut the neck down yet??

Any idea as to what the do dads are they plugged some of the holes with??

Love to see some progress pics if anyone is working on one.

[​IMG]

2. Emil G PrpoMaster

Emil G PrpoMaster New Member

I got my IG88 head
    thank you Markus to.
    Still thinkig what to do with it ?

I think thay used sheet metal

Emil

3. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

The big piece sticking out of the side of his head is the eyepiece from a 4x20 scope. It's probably from an ASI like the Fett rifle, but a Simmons, Tasco or similar will work. I have one from a Crosman 4x15 that works too.

I was going to scratchbuild my eyes from the other ends of 4x20 scopes. The size and shape seem to match and it seems logical although the real "eyes" look thicker. That's easy enough to change on a scratchbuild.

To fill the smaller holes I was looking at various plugs at Radio Shack. I still need to figure out sizes. I thought it would be nice to attach one to a rotary switch to make it turn on and off the lights.

Emil - There's no sheet metal added to the head.
    The neck is the cut off bottom of the burner can.

First thing I need to do to mine is hammer out some dents and fill a crack.

4. Lordsandy

Chris,

Any idea to how the neck was attached to the head after the piece was cut??

5. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Not yet. I've been thinking about this myself. The neck goes up into the head so I'm curious how much needs to be removed for it to fit up inside the head. The neck is showing through one of the large "mouth" holes in the Visual Dictionary pic. I wonder if there's a pipe inside supporting the head. I need to check ESB frame by frame.

6. Lordsandy

Yep..........I see that here.

[​IMG]

7. seven

seven Sr Member

man i would love to see a full sized completed IG88

8. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

So, nobody wants to make an affordable resin copy for the rest of us? :)

9. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

The eyes look like Hex bolts to me.

10. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Yeah, I need to get started on my walking and talking IG-88. :lol

11. AlltoEasy

AlltoEasy Well-Known Member

With or without assassination programming?

12. Lordsandy

Ten minutes of work tonight and here he is..................

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Looks good Jim.
    How'd you go about cutting the neck? Did you have to remove much?
    Anything supporting the head in those pics?

14. Lordsandy

Thanks Chris.

I just cut the neck off using a hand held grinder with a thin metal cutting blade, only took a few minutes and cut really easy.

I didnt have to cut anymore of the bottom at all, just stuffed it in the head at a slight angle, gave it a few taps and it went in.

Once the neck is in I just lifted the head up and tilted it back and it stayed in place.
    Not sure if I would trust it that way permanetly. Looks to me like I see rivets or screws holding the neck to the head in a few pics...........what do you think??

A few questions..................

Looks like just a red bulb in the head right? Not likely they put a lens on all those holes?

Any info at all on those little antenna looking things they filled the small holes with??

What are you thinking on using for the main eye bases?? Blocks of wood??

Jim

15. Lordsandy

Also, check out this pic.

[​IMG]

Looks like one red bulb in the top of the head and than a white on just below so the small holes in the complete ring light up.

Jim

16. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I'll have to see if I can get ahold of a hand held grinder. All I have is a hack saw here at home.

As far as the lights I'm certain there's just a single white light bulb in there.
    The upper holes are lined from the inside with red lighting gels. The white light appears to be accidental light spillage.
    I was thinking of mounting the whole head over a table lamp.
    I want to try and use something thicker than light gels, but I'm not sure what. I was keeping an eye out for large clear red containers during Christmas and Valentines day, but no luck yet.
    The little "antennas" could hold a thicker piece in there.
    I was thinking the antennas might be plugs of some sort or at least that should be a decent hardware solution.

For the eye bases I'm hoping to find plastic boxes. I'm sure there's some found object that will work well.

17. Darth Cross

Darth Cross Well-Known Member

It looks to me that they did cover the holes with something. That way they got an even glow. If the holes were open you would see inside and see the bulbs. I think that a thin sheet of milkplex could be used to line the inside. And you could use a red tinted sheet of plastic on the inside of the milkplex for the red lighting. That way you only need one bulb. :)

Richard

18. godzilla

godzilla Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think there's just a piece of red lighting gel that's sort of wallpapered to the inside of that part of the head. Heck, it could have been a scrap left over from all the stuff in the floors of the carbon freezing chamber. Looks like the same hue.

Don't forget to look at the dead IG-88 on the floor of the Bespin incinerator set. Maybe you can see the back or something.

*, I'm gone for a little while and people go and find IG-88 heads. I'm impressed.

Adam

19. Lordsandy

"Don't forget to look at the dead IG-88 on the floor of the Bespin incinerator set. Maybe you can see the back or something."

Does anyone have a good screen grab of this they could post please??

Thanks,
    Jim

20. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bump... anything further on this?

21. Buckeye_01

Buckeye_01 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(godzilla @ Feb 10 2006, 05:39 AM) [snapback]1180637[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I thought too. The top probably has the red wallpapered to it, and the bottom ring is just left 'open' so it glows white. I am enjoying watching you guys put these heads together. Please don't let this thread die. IG is my favorite BH along with Fett.

22. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The cut looks good. I have my head, but unfortunately 0 progress. However, I'm committed and do want to make a full size version...somehow.

23. mwells

mwells Well-Known Member

Where can I get one of these I saw one in person at the Michigan prop party and want one bad email me at mwells78@cox.net
    Thanks.
    Mike

24. mbmcfarland

mbmcfarland Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mwells @ May 10 2006, 03:05 AM) [snapback]1241824[/snapback]</div>
    It's nice to see that somebody is working on these. I have not done anything to mine at all yet, and I don't know when I will have time. Too many projects. ( mwells, I sent you an email.)

Mike

25. Howlrunner

Howlrunner Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Found this thread doing a search and am bringing it back from the dead...... Unfortunately most of the pics no longer work, so if anyone would like to repost them, that'd be great. :D

Recently won myself a resin and fibreglass copy of the correct flame can and want to turn it into an IG-88 head when it arrives. Read through this thread, and others and here's the main things I've picked up:

- Coax connector type PL-259 used to fill 6 holes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Eyepiece from a 4x20 scope (ASI, Simmons, Tasco, ect) used to fill large hole.
    [​IMG]
    This is probably the wrong kind in the pic, any better pics of what type it should be?

- Red gel coat/lense material used across the inside of top circle of head holes, white gel coat/lense material used across inside of middle circle of head holes.
    [​IMG]

- Bottom of flame can cut off just below the large hole and reinserted deeper as neck.

- Thick black wire going from large hole at bottom of head round the back and down to the neck (or torso).
    [​IMG]

OK, anything I've got wrong? What else would need to be done? What are the 2 main eyes likely to be? Some kind of doubled up scopes? Good (large) pic can be seen here: IG-88 Wallpaper

Unfated likes this.
  26. aoifrost

aoifrost Well-Known Member

Not sure if it helps, but i have an old IG-88 image on my computer:

[​IMG]

I haven't seen this one before... Hope to see more great IG-88's.

EDIT: Thank you to wackychimp for hosting.

27. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Howlrunner @ Mar 22 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]1445477[/snapback]</div>

Everything you listed was pretty good except the "white gel coat/lense material used across inside of middle circle of head holes" - That's wrong. The white light you see coming out of that ring of holes is just accidental light spillage in that one area. Something inside is off kilter allowing light to shine out in that pic.

The eyes are too thick for scopes. No idea what they are and I haven't had time to work on blueprints.

The Tasco scope you posted is close. The length of the eyepiece is about right, but the taper should be closer further away from the lens end. Basically you need about 1 7/8" sticking out of IG's head. If the taper is too close to the lens end of the eyepiece too much of it will fit in the head (not enough sticking out).
    The eyepiece I'm using is 2 7/16" long (1 1/4" of that is the straight section at the lens end).
    When I just press fit it into IG it sticks out about 1 3/4". I figure once I put some thick double sided tape on it to hold it in it will stick out a little more and be dead on.

28. Howlrunner

Thank for that. :D

Just to get this straight, 1 7/8" of the scope sticks out of IG-88's head - of this, 1 1/4" is the straight section at the lens end, and the rest is made up of the tapered section. As in the example number 3 shown below:

[​IMG]

Correct? Or should it be more like one of the other examples?

As far as eyes go, these are the best reference pictures I can find:

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

29. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Howlrunner @ Mar 22 2007, 02:46 PM) [snapback]1445670[/snapback]</div>
    Correct. It's like #3. The tapered part slides in too until its tight (leaving about 3/8" of the taper exposed).
    I should add that the eyepiece plugs into a * sticking out of the side of the head so that's 1 7/8" exposed past the * edge (which itself sticks out from the head).

I'm pretty much planning to scratch build the eyes at this point using several found parts from an electronics surplus store. I have detailed enough reference to make basic blueprints to follow for most of it. I can't share the pics, but I will share the blueprints when complete.

30. Howlrunner

Here's the latest on old IG-88. :D Basically I've got it finished as far as I can at the moment. All that's needed is the eyes once I figure out how to make them.

A lot of gluing, filling, sanding, dremeling and painting have been done to get it this far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remember, this was cast in 2 parts, and the bottom of the top part duplicated some of the top of the bottom part - so a big ring of fibreglass had to get cut off. The bottom of the head was also cut off and reinserted to make the neck. Plus, since this in sadly not the real deal, it had to be painted from scratch to get it to look like weathered metal.

[​IMG]

4x20 scope eyepiece and six PL259 co-axial connectors were added, and red lense material (a double thickness of plastic document folder cover) was hotglued inside.

[​IMG]

One of the things that I had to spend the most time on was installing a bulb inside the head. Installing it was easy, but i then had to sit and paint lots of layers of paint inside the head to stop the light spilling through the thin spots in the fibreglass. And of course, this had to be done while sitting in the dark. :lol

Looks pretty cool so far though, and a HUGE improvement on how I got it.

Just need to figure out those eyes....

31. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks good - Keep us posted on those eyes.

32. Zottig

Zottig New Member

I too note that many of the images are missing from this thread. Are there any good resources for IG-88 reference pics? Ultimately I'm interested in the Eyes.

Ben

33. jackdoud

jackdoud Sr Member

34. Darth Larch

Darth Larch New Member

*Brushes dust off this thread*

Yeah I have an IG-88 noggin on the way too. :) Great reference thread!

I keep thinking the eyes look like translation stages with micrometers or adjustment screws attached. I can't find an exact match, but these are in the ballpark:

http://thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=706
    http://www.creativestars.com/catpages/p2.gif

This is waaay expensive optical equipment though! I don't know why Elstree (or whoever) would have had these laying around.

Just a thought...

35. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

Question: Are the "eyes" actually his optical sensors/eyes, or is that just what we're calling them? I ask because in every pic that I can recall, the "eyes" are pointing down at an angle and off to the side, which seems odd for "eyes". Is there a reference photo somewhere that calls out these pieces as "eyes"?

I'd always thought that he just had optical sensors discretely placed on his head. Seems much scarier when (like the Xenomorps in the ALIEN movies) you don't know what he's looking at... ;)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  36. jackdoud

jackdoud Sr Member

They track vader during his one scene so they're pretty obviously eyes. :thumbsup

37. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

According to the Visual Dictionary, the "Motion Sensor" and "targeting sight" reside elsewhere on the head, and if he can see in "all directions", then why have only 1 set of "eyes"? They could be some sort of weapon/launcher that he's tracking Vader with...

[​IMG]

Is there any other LFL-licensed reference material to refute this Visual Dictionary entry?

Where's Lonepigeon when you need him??? ;)

38. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I'd say they're eyes. As mentioned above they track Vader as he walks by. Whoever built him obviously intended them to be eyes. Since he's a droid though he can have as many 'eyes' of various types that he wants.
    Those might just be his main optical sensors.

39. jackdoud

jackdoud Sr Member

Figured I'd bump this thread instead of starting a new one. I've been working on my garrison's head and I'm about ready for paint. I coated the inside of the head with a couple layers of black then a coat of chrome paint so there aren't any light leaks. I then worked out a mounting system to support the head over the neck using an 8" funnel and some PVC as a stand. I'm leaving it all removable as eventually we're going to try for the whole droid. I'm just trying to get the head done in time for WWE in philly on the 20th.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

40. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

Good job! :)

I'm building the whole thing. I update my progress and pics on Facebook, as I've found that the people there tend not to call me an "idiot" because of my decisions. :rolleyes :lol

41. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Speaking of eye's did you ever get around to doing some kind of blueprints for IG's eyes? (You said earlyer in this thread that you might. ) Or does, someone have pics of their finished eyes?

Very smart of you. I've been there. Even if poeple here pick each others stuff apart, the public, is almost always, blown away. :)

42. jackdoud

jackdoud Sr Member

I was actually just going to start working on a set this afternoon. I'll post up whatever I figure out. :thumbsup

43. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

I did a search for PL-259 Coax connector, and got a bunch of different ones. Does anyone have close up pics of those parts. or maybe a very close pic of one, as it is sold?

44. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

They look like this:
    http://www.hcarc.us/articles/soldering PL-259 connectors_files/image001.jpg

I haven't had any time to work on props lately so no eye blueprints yet.
    I probably won't get to it for at least a few months. Work has been too busy.

45. jackdoud

jackdoud Sr Member

You want standard PL-259 UHF-Type Coax Connectors:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103402
    [​IMG]
    That picture is a little misleading as they're actually 2 parts, the "bottom" of those is the wire shield that you'll need to unscrew and remove.

Update on my head, got a first coat of paint on it using Rust-Oleum Hammered Dark Bronze.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Still working on eye dimensions. My initial guess is they're about 4.5" wide and 3.125" long. I cropped and lightened a few high-def screencaps, does anyone else get the impression that the "lenses" are rifled?

[​IMG][​IMG]

46. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Thanks for the info, it's huge help. :)

I really like that paint job, I would have never guest Hammered dark bronze.

You know I was thinking after I read through this thread to. (especially the part where folks discussed it they were eyes or not.) They could be "ears". Rather then optical input devices, they could be Sound censors, That would explain why he tracked Vader with them. More then seeing Vader strut, hearing him is what's really important. Cause, say "What, I wasn't listening" When Vader address you, will get you chocked, or in this cased sold for scrap.

47. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i was going to say before but i forgot ... the bottom part (the bit you cut off) needs to be shorter by a few inches. it looks way too long.

-z

48. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

49. jackdoud

jackdoud Sr Member

Yeah I know. Between needing to get it done in time for a convention in a week and a half, my ad-hoc stand system and having to leave it modifyable for when we eventually build the whole body I figured it'd be better to leave it long for now and trim it when I'm sure of where I want it. Plus the general public won't care. :angel

Eyes are in the works:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These things are a real PITA. I stared at reference pictures for a few hours on Sunday and every time I decided on a size for one piece something else would look off. Finally I just went for it, I can always make new ones later. I'm going with 1" width and height for the eye boxes with the eyes themselves just over 3/4" diameter. This may be a little small though as I think they're set a bit under 4.5" total width on the actual head and that seems like too much of a gap between them. Bumping the eyes to 1" diameter made them seem too big though.

50. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

They do look a little too far apart in that last pic. (IMO) The over all shape looks very nice though. I don't know what's accurate, yet, but I do know I like the look of those. What are they made of, and what is the over all length? (eye, taper, and box.)