IG88 Head

Lordsandy

I just got my IG88 head in the mail.........thank you Markus.

Has anyone attempted to cut the neck down yet??

Any idea as to what the do dads are they plugged some of the holes with??

Love to see some progress pics if anyone is working on one.

LFL---0999zoom.jpg

The big piece sticking out of the side of his head is the eyepiece from a 4x20 scope. It's probably from an ASI like the Fett rifle, but a Simmons, Tasco or similar will work. I have one from a Crosman 4x15 that works too.

I was going to scratchbuild my eyes from the other ends of 4x20 scopes. The size and shape seem to match and it seems logical although the real "eyes" look thicker. That's easy enough to change on a scratchbuild.

To fill the smaller holes I was looking at various plugs at Radio Shack. I still need to figure out sizes. I thought it would be nice to attach one to a rotary switch to make it turn on and off the lights.

Emil - There's no sheet metal added to the head.
The neck is the cut off bottom of the burner can.

First thing I need to do to mine is hammer out some dents and fill a crack.

Originally posted by Lordsandy@Feb 8 2006, 02:14 AM
Chris,

Any idea to how the neck was attached to the head after the piece was cut??
[snapback]1178570[/snapback]​

Not yet. I've been thinking about this myself. The neck goes up into the head so I'm curious how much needs to be removed for it to fit up inside the head. The neck is showing through one of the large "mouth" holes in the Visual Dictionary pic. I wonder if there's a pipe inside supporting the head. I need to check ESB frame by frame.

Originally posted by lonepigeon@Feb 7 2006, 07:16 PM
The big piece sticking out of the side of his head is the eyepiece from a 4x20 scope. It's probably from an ASI like the Fett rifle, but a Simmons, Tasco or similar will work. I have one from a Crosman 4x15 that works too.

I was going to scratchbuild my eyes from the other ends of 4x20 scopes. The size and shape seem to match and it seems logical although the real "eyes" look thicker. That's easy enough to change on a scratchbuild.

To fill the smaller holes I was looking at various plugs at Radio Shack. I still need to figure out sizes. I thought it would be nice to attach one to a rotary switch to make it turn on and off the lights.

Emil - There's no sheet metal added to the head.
The neck is the cut off bottom of the burner can.

First thing I need to do to mine is hammer out some dents and fill a crack.
[snapback]1178531[/snapback]​

The eyes look like Hex bolts to me.

Originally posted by MonCal@Feb 8 2006, 12:53 PM
So, nobody wants to make an affordable resin copy for the rest of us?  :)
[snapback]1179086[/snapback]​

Yeah, I need to get started on my walking and talking IG-88. :lol

Looks good Jim.
How'd you go about cutting the neck? Did you have to remove much?
Anything supporting the head in those pics?

Thanks Chris.

I just cut the neck off using a hand held grinder with a thin metal cutting blade, only took a few minutes and cut really easy.

I didnt have to cut anymore of the bottom at all, just stuffed it in the head at a slight angle, gave it a few taps and it went in.

Once the neck is in I just lifted the head up and tilted it back and it stayed in place.
Not sure if I would trust it that way permanetly. Looks to me like I see rivets or screws holding the neck to the head in a few pics...........what do you think??

A few questions..................

Looks like just a red bulb in the head right? Not likely they put a lens on all those holes?

Any info at all on those little antenna looking things they filled the small holes with??

What are you thinking on using for the main eye bases?? Blocks of wood??

Jim

Also, check out this pic.

IG88_023.jpg

Looks like one red bulb in the top of the head and than a white on just below so the small holes in the complete ring light up.

Jim

I'll have to see if I can get ahold of a hand held grinder. All I have is a hack saw here at home.

As far as the lights I'm certain there's just a single white light bulb in there.
The upper holes are lined from the inside with red lighting gels. The white light appears to be accidental light spillage.
I was thinking of mounting the whole head over a table lamp.
I want to try and use something thicker than light gels, but I'm not sure what. I was keeping an eye out for large clear red containers during Christmas and Valentines day, but no luck yet.
The little "antennas" could hold a thicker piece in there.
I was thinking the antennas might be plugs of some sort or at least that should be a decent hardware solution.

For the eye bases I'm hoping to find plastic boxes. I'm sure there's some found object that will work well.

It looks to me that they did cover the holes with something. That way they got an even glow. If the holes were open you would see inside and see the bulbs. I think that a thin sheet of milkplex could be used to line the inside. And you could use a red tinted sheet of plastic on the inside of the milkplex for the red lighting. That way you only need one bulb. :)

Richard

Originally posted by Lordsandy@Feb 9 2006, 04:15 PM
Also, check out this pic.

IG88_023.jpg

Looks like  one red bulb in the top of the head and than a white on just below so the small holes in the complete ring light up.

Jim
[snapback]1179855[/snapback]​

Yeah, I think there's just a piece of red lighting gel that's sort of wallpapered to the inside of that part of the head. Heck, it could have been a scrap left over from all the stuff in the floors of the carbon freezing chamber. Looks like the same hue.

Don't forget to look at the dead IG-88 on the floor of the Bespin incinerator set. Maybe you can see the back or something.

Damn, I'm gone for a little while and people go and find IG-88 heads. I'm impressed.

Adam

It looks to me that they did cover the holes with something. That way they got an even glow. If the holes were open you would see inside and see the bulbs. I think that a thin sheet of milkplex could be used to line the inside. And you could use a red tinted sheet of plastic on the inside of the milkplex for the red lighting. That way you only need one bulb. :)

Richard

"Don't forget to look at the dead IG-88 on the floor of the Bespin incinerator set. Maybe you can see the back or something."

Does anyone have a good screen grab of this they could post please??

Thanks,
Jim

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back