Icons Replicas

Well...

I suppose we sould all THANK the boys at Icons for increasing our level of sophistication in this hobby.

That is to say, they taught us all (as buyers AND sellers) to be MUCH more careful in regards to paying for (or taking payment) up front on something.

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jul 8 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]1276814[/snapback]</div>
Well...

I suppose we sould all THANK the boys at Icons for increasing our level of sophistication in this hobby.

That is to say, they taught us all (as buyers AND sellers) to be MUCH more careful in regards to paying for (or taking payment) up front on something.
[/b]
I agree... I'm much more careful before I make a purchase for a high amount. I was burned pretty bad by Icons almost a decade ago. Now, I research the seller & or company.

Guys, keep the witch hunts and gripes of how much money you lost out of this thread. Icon is long gone and I'm not customer service so any such posts are pointless. I'm only interested in the props that did make it out the door which are still highly sought after collectibles because they're both rare and excellent replicas.

Please feel free to discuss anything relating to the manufacture or circulation of such props.

Even though we now know it's utterly inaccurate, I always loved the Icons Obi-Wan. I saw a cheap one on ebay recently, and almost picked it up.

Does anyone know if the grips are ABS and if so is there a metal core (is the construction solid)?

Seeing the Luke ANH in the SW Insider is what got me into props. I'd been collecting toys, had all but like five of the vintage figures, needed to sell them for both money and space. I had to get my SW toy collecting under control. When I saw that saber, I knew that if I could only have ONE SW collectable, that would be the one, sitting on my desk.

Wasn't it really pricey though? I guess I've been spoiled by the glut of cheap Graflexes.

Hey Propsculptor

If you ever find out who the person is who maybe putting a book together(if it’s true), let me know I still have a ton of pictures that I took back then, behind the scenes...."it was the best of times :) , it was the worst of times. :( ”

I still have them filed away if anyone wants them, I can scan the issues later on...

I have not received any confirmation about a book, but if one is ever made I think
Icons Authentic Replicas: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times
Would make a great title :D

<div class='quotetop'>(Lear60man @ Jul 9 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]1277559[/snapback]</div>
Has anyone scanned the old issues of The Vault magazine?
[/b]

For those interested, here is a pic of the original Artwork for the Predator Base from my old website:
predatorbasesketch.jpg

I know it doesn't look like much, but it's what they originally wanted to use :rolleyes

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Jul 9 2006, 06:55 PM) [snapback]1277592[/snapback]</div>
For those interested, here is a pic of the original Artwork for the Predator Base from my old website:
predatorbasesketch.jpg

I know it doesn't look like much, but it's what they originally wanted to use :rolleyes
[/b]
Cool... thanks for sharing :thumbsup

ICON was a bit before my time so I know nothing about this Vault magazine. Was it a monthly magazine produced by ICON showing upcoming releases??

Propsculptor, how many design revisions did you go through to get to the final design? I bet there are a few people who would like a new design of wall mount to display their bio helmets who missed out on the ICON's version ;)

Having lost about $ 3800 in non delivered items form Icons, I don't think you can say forget about it. For those that got burned, its still an issue, one that will never be settled and for which there is nothing that can be done at this point, but an issue none the less.
As for Icons setting the standard, there were a few people viaing for the Lucas license at the time including SD Studios. Had he gotten it at that time, we might have seen a company like MR appear much earlier and with a much higher quality product and price than what Icons produced.
The fact is, the management at Icons screwed alot of people. Lets not re-write history here. They did produce some nice items and they did set a standard unseen at that time. They also ripped off so many that resulted in a standard for licensing that made it more difficult for others to enter into the prop replica business and in a more complicated consumer safe business manner. Not all bad in retrospect but definately not the sunshine picture some seem to be painting.

Being a distributor at that time, I do have copies of the vaults as well several promo/copy sheets of products produced and to be produced. If anyone needs copies, I can scan them in.

I had four or five Conversations with Latta and he struck me as the biggest Used car-Salesman I had seen since Frank Virga :rolleyes

That being said, and in deference to RKW's wish to talk about the Props, does anyone know why the Obi-Wan ANH Saber was so off?

<div class='quotetop'>(tripoli @ Jul 10 2006, 03:23 PM) [snapback]1277887[/snapback]</div>
Having lost about $ 3800 in non delivered items form Icons, I don't think you can say forget about it. For those that got burned, its still an issue, one that will never be settled and for which there is nothing that can be done at this point, but an issue none the less.
As for Icons setting the standard, there were a few people viaing for the Lucas license at the time including SD Studios. Had he gotten it at that time, we might have seen a company like MR appear much earlier and with a much higher quality product and price than what Icons produced.
The fact is, the management at Icons screwed alot of people. Lets not re-write history here. They did produce some nice items and they did set a standard unseen at that time. They also ripped off so many that resulted in a standard for licensing that made it more difficult for others to enter into the prop replica business and in a more complicated consumer safe business manner. Not all bad in retrospect but definately not the sunshine picture some seem to be painting.

Being a distributor at that time, I do have copies of the vaults as well several promo/copy sheets of products produced and to be produced. If anyone needs copies, I can scan them in.
[/b]

:unsure

No one is asking you to forget it's just not relevant to this discussion. How badly the company was run should not be a reflection of those artists who worked there or the work they produced.

It would be great if someone could scan in some of these Vault?? articles.

"Guys, keep the witch hunts and gripes of how much money you lost out of this thread. Icon is long gone and I'm not customer service so any such posts are pointless."

The point given above along with this one:

"I suppose we sould all THANK the boys at Icons for increasing our level of sophistication in this hobby."

My points were revelant. Not letting the past or these post get glossed over.

AND, as noted I do have quite a bit of material available oif anyone needed reference material.

You're right Tripoli, your points were relevant to PHArchivist's comments. Sadly he didn't start the thread, I did and I asked that this thread be about and I quote:-

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Please feel free to discuss anything relating to the manufacture or circulation of such props.[/b]

Now the one relevant thing you did post was regarding the Vault so any offers of information on that is really appreciated.

I think my other post ed information covers manufacturing which makes it pretty relevant to what you asked. ;)

Tripoli, I would love a scan of the original issue of the vault. If memory serves me I am in there somwhere.

Propsculpter,
If I remember correctly werent you the guy who realy had a talent for Armory (firearm) and SAAB stuff? I remember you being the only guy with a ponytail at Icons. The piece I wish I could have kept was that 3 foot ID4 F-18 I painted that we hung over our booth at Comicon in 95.
Chris

I have all Icons stuff somewhere...Like presskits..Memberkits with t-shirts. Catalogs, adverticment papers and cards and so on...I try to scan a few...The first(or was it the secoind?) big vault catalog they released is pretty thick..Not just to scan..Alot of work..But almost all pictures in my site is from that one..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back