Icons Replicas

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by RKW, Jul 7, 2006.

1. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Did Icons ever complete any of their limited edition runs before going * up? Just wondering if any one knows where to find out the edition sizes.

2. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Wish I could help. Icons did makes some very cool props, afaik, but it was before my time. Hope someone else can chime in with the info you need. :thumbsup

3. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

I had an artist proof version of their Luke ANH lightsaber but had to sell it a few years back.

Mike

4. IFA

IFA Sr Member

Hi, as a true ICONS-REPLICAS fan, I've heard that the former staff could make a book or dvd on the ICONS history. If it works, everybody will have some surprises.....don't listen to the internet false rumors, be ready for the truth.
    Each replica will be described with protos and edition size...etc, etc

5. RKW

RKW Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(fredo2x @ Jul 7 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]1276095[/snapback]</div>
    Cool, if it actually happens. It's so hard to find any information on Icons props on the internet.

6. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

I found a site a while back that listed the size of the edition runs. It said the only run they finished was the Luke ANH saber which they made 10,000 of. I don't know if the info was accurate or not. If I can find the site again I will let you know. I still have my Luke saber from Icons although it may be traded away soon.

I just remembered it was at Rebelscum that I saw some info on Icons...

http://www.rebelscum.com/icons.asp

7. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was the main Sculptor and a Propbuilder over at Icons Authentic Replicas,
    I don't mind answering any questions about working there...

A good example of the wrong information is the pic saying "Jim's Garage" is wrong.
    http://www.cinemareplicas.com/museum/icons.htm
    That was one of the Supervisors at Icons, home Garage, Not Jim's.

I'm actually the guy with the Ponytail working on the ID4 Spaceship restoring it for Planet Hollywood:
    [​IMG]

I also designed and sculpted the Predator Base and restored the Helmet,
    with the help of Matt Rose one of the guys who actually worked on the original Film.
    [​IMG]

I also restored and Sculpted the Figure and scratchbuilt the Cockpit
    for the Battlestar Galactica Viper.

8. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Well I'm happy to say that I own one of the Predator helmets & base.

Any ideas how many made it out the door and were they still being produced when Timeless Collectibles got involved?
    What actual restoration work took place on the helmet?

Do you have knowledge of a book/DVD release of the companies history?

9. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Jul 7 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]1276183[/snapback]</div>
    I knew It.

I always thought you were a cool long-hair. ;)

Do you know how many LIS B-9's made it out the door?

10. propsculptor

I don't know how many items made it out the door because the front office kept those records, I know that most the the Darth and Luke Sabers were sold and shipped out, as tfor the Obi-Wan Kenobi Saber and other replicas I really don't know, I Quit Icons around the time they started stalling us on our paychecks and offering us product as compensation instead of late fees, that was around the time they were prototyping the LIS Robot and the Predator Spear (I was going to design another Base for the Spear but I couldn't trust them to pay on time.).

My Ponytail is now long gone since I got married. I didn't want to look like a Hippy in my Wedding Photos so I surprised my wife by cutting off my hair the Day before the Wedding. :D
    She was VERY surprised.

For the Record, after Icons Folded Jim Latta Created Timeless Collectibles with another business friend of his, so it wasn't a New company as some people might think.

The Predator Helmet was missing the Laser on the Right side of the Helmet and on the Left side it was missing the Ribbed Piping and the oval piece in the center of it with the Three Holes. I also cleaned it up a bit and added the part on the Left jaw that fits into the Divot. There was no reference to go by other than the Pics that Matt Rose Supplied me from the location and the Studio.

<div class='quotetop'>(apollo @ Jul 7 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]1276220[/snapback]</div>
    I knew It.

I always thought you were a cool long-hair. ;)

Do you know how many LIS B-9's made it out the door?
    [/b][/quote]

11. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Thanks for your input.

So would you like to see a book produced showcasing the work by Icons or would that just be rubbing salt into an old wound?

12. propsculptor

No I wouldn't have a problem with a book being made, has that been confirmed, or is it just an idea?

I really liked the Replicas that Icons offered (I even have a few), just not the way they started ripping people off.

IF Icons owners had focused on quality control, made sure each sold item was shipped, and didn't buy more and more Prop Licenses with Money that was supposed to be bonus money for the employees, I believe they would have succeeded and turend that business into a Multi-Million Dollar company that would continue to grow.

There were a lot of very talented Artists that worked there, and we all became friends,
    I'm still in touch with a few of them.

<div class='quotetop'>(RKW @ Jul 7 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]1276263[/snapback]</div>

13. propmaster

propmaster New Member

I heard that they are a few guys that use to work at icons and now work at gentle giant studios. Maybe i can ask one of my friends that works there if he can ask them to see it they have any pics or if they have anything from there.

14. propsculptor

That's true, some of the painters from Icons are now working over there...

Nobody answered my question, is a book really going to be made about Icons or is this just someone's idea?

<div class='quotetop'>(propmaster @ Jul 7 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]1276309[/snapback]</div>

15. SSRN Seaview

SSRN Seaview Well-Known Member

Well I have the following ICONS replicas in my collection

Pulse Rifle
    LIS Pistol
    X-Wing
    SST Roger Young
    BSG Viper
    Skywalker Light Saber
    Klingon D-7
    TOS Klingon Disrupter

And plenty of archieved emails on my paid for but never shipped LIS Jupiter 2.

16. RKW

RKW Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Jul 8 2006, 12:29 AM) [snapback]1276316[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know, I was simply repeating what Fredo2x posted above and don't know the source of his information. Would be great though to have a book documenting each prop made.

17. propsculptor

Well IF someone ever does a book on Icons, I still have photos of my Design
    and the Sculpture of the Predator Base and some pics "Behind the Scenes".

<div class='quotetop'>(RKW @ Jul 7 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]1276322[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know, I was simply repeating what Fredo2x posted above and don't know the source of his information. Would be great though to have a book documenting each prop made.
    [/b][/quote]

18. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Jul 7 2006, 10:33 PM) [snapback]1276273[/snapback]</div>
    I suppose its poetic justice that MR is now headlining the industry and clearly demonstrating how businessmen with a degree of wisdom can run a company.

I've long gotten over my bitterness regarding my own losses (which were small), but I do wish the loosers that ran Icons into the ground (and took our money with them) look at MR and ask themselves why they couldn't have done that...

19. propsculptor

Well if it helps, from what I've heard Jim Latta is still on the run from Police,
    he still owes a lot of people Money...

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jul 7 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]1276417[/snapback]</div>
    I suppose its poetic justice that MR is now headlining the industry and clearly demonstrating how businessmen with a degree of wisdom can run a company.

I've long gotten over my bitterness regarding my own losses (which were small), but I do wish the loosers that ran Icons into the ground (and took our money with them) look at MR and ask themselves why they couldn't have done that...
    [/b][/quote]

20. frightzone_4_you

frightzone_4_you Well-Known Member

Well... sooner or later Latta will pay his dues :lol Latta had told me that there were no wrong intentions & had offered a piece from his Battle Star Galactica collection so I can just wait patiently. I had filed against him at a later time, but it was soon after they had declared Bankruptcy & I was out close to five grand :cry It really was a shame that the company closed shop... alot of cool stuff back then. It would be nice to see some behind the scenes pics :thumbsup

21. ShezaPropstitute

ShezaPropstitute New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Jul 7 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]1276258[/snapback]</div>

Dude, they didn't "stall" our paychecks -- they cast them out of spare silicone.

*Bouncy - bouncy - bouncy.*

How well I remember that ID4 restoration. How well I remember almost falling off of that bloody thing on several occasions. And it's too wierd to see you without that ponytail. LOL.

22. propsculptor

I remember thinking that the ID4 ship model might collapse at any moment because it was so fragile :eek
    Our final repair job turned out great :thumbsup

Believe me, working without the Long hair now, is much easier in this Heat, since I've been working outdoors recently..

How's it going Darcy?

<div class='quotetop'>(ShezaPropstitute @ Jul 8 2006, 01:01 AM) [snapback]1276532[/snapback]</div>

Dude, they didn't "stall" our paychecks -- they cast them out of spare silicone.

*Bouncy - bouncy - bouncy.*

How well I remember that ID4 restoration. How well I remember almost falling off of that bloody thing on several occasions. And it's too wierd to see you without that ponytail. LOL.
    [/b][/quote]

23. Terminator Crazy

Terminator Crazy Well-Known Member

Oh...Nice info..Fun that you found my old Icons Museum site...I was a huge fan back then and based the info from their own catalogs. :)

24. IFA

IFA Sr Member

Hi to all. happy to see that the name ICONS is followed by such reactions....good or bad.

For my point of view, we musn't forget that ICONS was the first ever society to fabric fully authorized and licensed (beautiful) replicas. Handmade in USA, by talented american artisans (the less we can say....I think propscultor will agree with me). ICONS opened the door to hundreds of other societies, doing the same job but sometimes with less quality. Who was the first to make signature edition with pictures of the artist signing the plaques ??? Who was the first to make big scale replicas (TIE fighter and X-wing, BSG Viper...) ??? Who was the first to make some wardrobe replicas (even if it's not known by public) ???

We musn't forget that another (now) big replicas company, is making some replicas with ICONS molds....like TOS Klingon Disruptor for exemple.

We musn't forget that ICONS was a young company when Banks went in to put in Wall Street and asked to James Latta to buy a maximum of license to make a maximum of money. A fatale error but an error of someone young in business (to my taste).

I think if James Latta had known all of this before....he certainly would had done it differently. He lost all his personal and huge props collection to remburse practically all money to people asking for it.

I certainly don't know everything but we must be careful of what we say, what we read on the net. It's easy to make a bad reputation to someone. We all have lost some money.....if now we've got a problem with that, we won't order anymore products anywhere.

25. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Icons took about $3,000 from me. I received no product-no apologies- no replies.

Master Replicas success and solid business practice has almost made me forget about it...almost.

26. RKW

RKW Sr Member

3K :eek

So who would own the companies financial records now or would they have all been shredded?

27. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For historical purposes, I should point out that Latta usually shows up in these threads, though seldom announces his identity. So be careful what you say, and be more careful with what you read.

28. frightzone_4_you

<div class='quotetop'>(Pauleysolo @ Jul 8 2006, 05:49 AM) [snapback]1276595[/snapback]</div>
    I concur...

29. Apollo

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Jul 7 2006, 05:57 PM) [snapback]1276258[/snapback]</div>
    I know how it is.

While I did'nt marry her I cut mine off years ago for my Fiance. :lol

<div class='quotetop'>(fredo2x @ Jul 8 2006, 08:12 AM) [snapback]1276583[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes Riiigghhtt. :rolleyes

Defending Jim Latta will get you NO respect on this board.

30. Darth_Pain

Darth_Pain Well-Known Member

Hey, maybe you ICONS guys can help identify this saber I have. I bought it of a boardie and would like to know if it really is an Icons and maybe get some more info on it.
    [​IMG]

31. Benign Robot

Benign Robot New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(MattMunson @ Jul 8 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]1276611[/snapback]</div>
    Funny how new user fredo2x's posts serve the singular purpose of defending Icons, and particularly Latta's reputation.

32. IFA

IFA Sr Member

Yes, but fredo2x is writing from France....not in US.

And for Apollo, I'm not defending anyone here. Mr Latta is old enough to defend himself.
    Just giving my ponit of view....if it's not yours, no problem Sir. Here in France, anybody has got the right to say what he thinks. That's liberty of opinion.

Ah yes, I'm not searching respect on this board. Just amazed by these excellent artisans who can make wonderful replicas for us. So I'm here to tell them how their work impress myself. Thanks.

33. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(fredo2x @ Jul 8 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]1276744[/snapback]</div>
    Say "Hi." to Cap'n Jack for me.

34. Lello999

Lello999 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Pauleysolo @ Jul 8 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]1276595[/snapback]</div>
    Dito. Everytime I read the name Icons I have to think about a lot of money that I have lost.... but some Behind the scene shots would be great as I´ll at least able to see the things that I ordered :cry

Btw, Didn´t illusive Concepts offer Prop replicas (Yoda, Rancor and Han) about the same time or even earlier than icons? And what about DP?

Domenik

35. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth_Pain @ Jul 8 2006, 01:18 PM) [snapback]1276713[/snapback]</div>

From what I know....It's DEFINATELY NOT an ICONS.

36. Lello999

Lello999 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Vegeta @ Jul 8 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]1276770[/snapback]</div>
    I used to have one and that´s def. not an Icons Obi Wan

Domenik

37. Darth_Pain

Darth_Pain Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Lello999 @ Jul 8 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]1276772[/snapback]</div>
    I used to have one and that´s def. not an Icons Obi Wan

Domenik
    [/b][/quote]

Yeah, it's supposed to be a Luke/Obi hybrid.

38. propsculptor

fredo2x may just be trying to be diplomatic about the whole situation if it isn't Jim, or who knows it may be one of Jim's few remaining "Friends" (If he has any).
    The last I heard about Jim was that he's living/hiding out in Las Vegas.

The line that I found interesting was this, "I certainly don't know everything but we must be careful of what we say, what we read on the net. It's easy to make a bad reputation to someone". Well in Jim's case he did it to himself, Jim was the one who ran the company into the ground, no-one else had sole ownership of the company but him after the other owner left.

"I think if James Latta had known all of this before....he certainly would had done it differently".

How do you know, did you work with him, are you a friend of his? I did know him very well, AND worked with him and I really DOUBT IT.. Jim's Not that Smart.

Darth_Pain just from looking at the photo, it doesn't look like an Icons Obi Saber,
    it's a nice Saber but there are some details missing from the Saber.
    The part in this pic is smooth on your saber:
    [​IMG]
    And look at the end of the saber and you can see the differences:
    [​IMG]
    (Photos by Chris/Terminator Crazy, thanks for having these available for all to see.)

As far as the Financial Records go, my guess is that the IRS has them, or Copies of them...

<div class='quotetop'>(Benign Robot @ Jul 8 2006, 11:04 AM) [snapback]1276729[/snapback]</div>
    Funny how new user fredo2x's posts serve the singular purpose of defending Icons, and particularly Latta's reputation.
    [/b][/quote]

39. frightzone_4_you

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Jul 8 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]1276782[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]
    [/b][/quote]
    Thank You Propsculptor for your comments about Latta... :thumbsup I'm sure you feel for all of us who were ripped off :( & also you guys working for him & not getting paid for your dedication & hard work.

40. Apollo

<div class='quotetop'>(fredo2x @ Jul 8 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]1276744[/snapback]</div>
    No problem Bro, but I gotta tell you, you might want to do some more reading up on the Icon's fiasco so you will have a better informed opinion. ;)

41. PHArchivist

Well...

I suppose we sould all THANK the boys at Icons for increasing our level of sophistication in this hobby.

That is to say, they taught us all (as buyers AND sellers) to be MUCH more careful in regards to paying for (or taking payment) up front on something.

42. frightzone_4_you

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jul 8 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]1276814[/snapback]</div>
    I agree... I'm much more careful before I make a purchase for a high amount. I was burned pretty bad by Icons almost a decade ago. Now, I research the seller & or company.

43. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Guys, keep the witch hunts and gripes of how much money you lost out of this thread. Icon is long gone and I'm not customer service so any such posts are pointless. I'm only interested in the props that did make it out the door which are still highly sought after collectibles because they're both rare and excellent replicas.

Please feel free to discuss anything relating to the manufacture or circulation of such props.

44. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Even though we now know it's utterly inaccurate, I always loved the Icons Obi-Wan. I saw a cheap one on ebay recently, and almost picked it up.

Does anyone know if the grips are ABS and if so is there a metal core (is the construction solid)?

Seeing the Luke ANH in the SW Insider is what got me into props. I'd been collecting toys, had all but like five of the vintage figures, needed to sell them for both money and space. I had to get my SW toy collecting under control. When I saw that saber, I knew that if I could only have ONE SW collectable, that would be the one, sitting on my desk.

Wasn't it really pricey though? I guess I've been spoiled by the glut of cheap Graflexes.

45. Bantha Crossing

Bantha Crossing Well-Known Member

Hey Propsculptor

If you ever find out who the person is who maybe putting a book together(if it’s true), let me know I still have a ton of pictures that I took back then, behind the scenes...."it was the best of times :) , it was the worst of times. :( ”

46. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Has anyone scanned the old issues of The Vault magazine?

47. propsculptor

I still have them filed away if anyone wants them, I can scan the issues later on...

I have not received any confirmation about a book, but if one is ever made I think
    Icons Authentic Replicas: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times
    Would make a great title :D

<div class='quotetop'>(Lear60man @ Jul 9 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]1277559[/snapback]</div>

48. propsculptor

For those interested, here is a pic of the original Artwork for the Predator Base from my old website:
    [​IMG]

I know it doesn't look like much, but it's what they originally wanted to use :rolleyes

49. frightzone_4_you

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Jul 9 2006, 06:55 PM) [snapback]1277592[/snapback]</div>
    Cool... thanks for sharing :thumbsup

50. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

Does anyone have pics of the Icons Han Solo Blaster?

I have never seen one and would love to check it out.

Thanks