I want to repaint my Loki Mask

joingaramo17

Hi there, I want to repaint my Loki Mask replica, give it more color variations, details, etc. But I don't know how to start the process on an already painted mask. Should I just paint over with no worries, should I remove the previous paint?

I read that you must first aply an base coat first of dark acrilyc paint, then aply varnish, and then start painting smaller details. Is this correct? I don't know if this would have an impact over the old paint.

I'd like to read some suggestions or if you have experience from repainting a prop, I'd love to read some tips!

Regards!

You could probably paint over it, I might scuff it up first with a scotch bright pad or something. Just a light sanding to give it some tooth. The paint process you described sounds good to me:)

If you like the previous paint job but just want to add to it, then just paint straight on top of it, no primer no surface prep other than cleaning it off with soap first to get rid of dust and grime. If you know who made and painted it you can ask them what kind of paint they used, so you don't risk using paints that don't work on top.

If you want to completely repaint it, then I would suggest stripping the previous paint.

Thank you very much for your replies! I think adding to the previous paint job might be the ideal option!
I recently asked a similar question on Stan Winston forums and the answer was the same: rarely does the paint type not allow a new bond but if you can find out what type it was, you don't have to be the rare exception where it doesn't work. Clean with soap and water to remove dust and greases/oils if it has been handled or out on display. DO NOT USE CITRUS SCENTED NOR CITRUS BASED SOAPS unless your intent was to clean off the old paint as well.

Additional caution: If you are using a paint that requires a thinner to apply it, you want minimum friction on the old paint as some paints will reactivate in the presence of their original thinner. Spray if you can but if brushing, sponging or similar contact painting (with a thinner, this includes copic pens) do small numbers of strokes and pause allowing all to redry on the surface and then do another small addition. Moving around to different areas allows this to work without slowing you down.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back