I Dream of Jeannie bottle

I got to handle a first season bottle.

It's not black. It the darker version of the bottle unpainted except for the gold.

Season1Jeannie.jpg

WELL.. I bought a Jim Beam bottle this morning on eBay for $30.
I'm going to buy the $8 tutorial dvd that is on eBay and use the templates to do my best on the bottle. Even if it's far from perfect.. it's for my dad, and I think he'll love that it's something I made. He's very sentimental in that way lol :)
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY A REPLACEMENT CORK MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR THESE BOTTLES? I saw some that someone was making on eBay a couple months ago but googling it doesn't bring up anything.. super excited that I got the bottle though!! -I attached a pic of it..

WELL.. I bought a Jim Beam bottle this morning on eBay for $30.
I'm going to buy the $8 tutorial dvd that is on eBay and use the templates to do my best on the bottle. Even if it's far from perfect.. it's for my dad, and I think he'll love that it's something I made. He's very sentimental in that way lol :)
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY A REPLACEMENT CORK MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR THESE BOTTLES? I saw some that someone was making on eBay a couple months ago but googling it doesn't bring up anything.. super excited that I got the bottle though!! -I attached a pic of it..

Any good craft store, Hobby Lobby for one, would be a good place to look for various size replacement corks.

I needed one for a Dickel Tennessee Whisky bottle and found the right size at Hobby Lobby.

Al

While I've never painted a replica of Jeannie's bottle (neither a 1st nor 2nd -5th season), I have done a few djinni bottles.
Not to dissuade you, I will say that painting on a '64 Beam ain't as easy as it may seem. the angles and curves do present various challenges. The least of which is sizing the design. Then you have the colours.
There are so many variables, it makes me glad that I only do original/custom/concept designs.
Of course, with the end product, what it all boils down to is if you're happy with it.

Oh, about the cork; yes you can get corks from hobby or hardware stores ( think a #4 from Hobby Lobby is what last I had), however, they are usually tapered.
Personally, I prefer straight corks, as from a wine bottle.
With tapered ones, I fear that the stopper may slip out if the bottle is handled over much - turned on its side.
There's at least one video on You Tube on fabricating a replacement cork. He uses an Ex-acto knife. Me, I use a Dremel.

I ended up finding someone on eBay who makes the corks specifically to fit the Jim Beam jeannie bottles and it should be here before Christmas! :)

How did the template CD work? I just picked upna bottle but don't want to waste money on a CD if it is a waste of money.

How did the template CD work? I just picked upna bottle but don't want to waste money on a CD if it is a waste of money.

Yes, I'm curious how you're progressing myself.
On my old machine, before it crashed & burned - literally (it shot sparks out at me from the power supply box), I had a version of the 2nd season templates.
However it didn't print out quite right. The scale was slightly off. Too small.

I recently bought one from Craigslist, for $40. Kind of steep, but another seller asking $30 never responded to my inquiry. RE the cork, I was all prepared to look for a ready-made cork, but tried a wine cork I had laying around. It worked perfectly: I have a Dremel and used that to hollow out the cork. The best thing is, since the wine cork is a cylinder rather than a cone, there is more cork around the bottom of the stopper, which makes the stopper fit much more snugly and stay in more tightly than the original cork.

As for painting it, we'll see. It's the satisfying overall shape of that bottle that I like, rather than it's paint job. I am kind of partial to the first season look that I've seen people do. It looks more like an antique bottle than the purple version does.

By the way, SloeDjinn, I really like the shots you have on your site. I like the idea of having an original, rather than a prop copy, and your designs are nicely executed and very beautiful.

I'm kind of curious: how deep down inside do you paint? Does the cork tend to wear off the inner paint?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back