how to make giant hands?

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
i have an idea for a wall display, and i need 2 giant hands. by giant i mean something along the size of "able to hold a grapefruit in its hand with all fingers wrapped around it, and touching palm". andre the giant hands. big friggin, massive hands.

hulk sized hands, but not the big foam ones on sale.

anyone have a tutorial or some experiance with making gigantic hands? i can probably make them on my own, but it never hurts to check and see if someone has made something, and get advice on what to do/not to do on the project :)

technically i need 4 hands, 2 just.... big, and 2 hulk sized gigantic. right and left of both. open handed like its grabbing through a wall.

thanks in advance.
chris

I saw a special on bigfoot where they showed a guy making his own bigfoot casts. He made a cast of the bottom of his foot in the same blue stuff used in casting model parts (RTV?). He then took the molds and put them in a tub of some sort of solvent and the mold expanded by about 150%. He made plaster casts from those. I'm sorry I don't remember what the solvent was. Acetone? Thinner? Whatever it was it didn't hurt the mold.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bcgd @ May 7 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]1239926[/snapback]</div>
I saw a special on bigfoot where they showed a guy making his own bigfoot casts. He made a cast of the bottom of his foot in the same blue stuff used in casting model parts (RTV?). He then took the molds and put them in a tub of some sort of solvent and the mold expanded by about 150%. He made plaster casts from those. I'm sorry I don't remember what the solvent was. Acetone? Thinner? Whatever it was it didn't hurt the mold.
[/b]
Yup, I saw that, too, and made a mental note to write that down for future reference...then I forgot, like I usually do...

But a quick search of our good friend Google turned up this PAGE.

Here's an excerpt:

"A latex mold or cast, when treated with kerosene or some similar light oil, will swell and expand by 40% to 50% of its original linear dimensions while retaining its surface detail. As the oil-treated rubber loses its tensile strength and elasticity, only a single plaster casting can be made from it; the rubber will disintegrate as it is pulled off. When the plaster is quite dry, a second and larger rubber cast can be made as before, and, if further enlargement is desired, this cast can be oil-treated like the first. The process can be repeated indefinitely."

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dkwd @ May 8 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]1240668[/snapback]</div>
Thanos-sized hands?

:D

David
[/b]

:lol

nah, that project is still being worked on. nothing new since the prototype pics a few months back. this WOULD work out pretty well for it though ;)

im actually going for a display idea for my superman display room (i hope to one day have). i picked up the new toy over the weekend, and save for the lack of an S symbol on the back (BAD SINGER, BAD.) it rocks. i also grabbed doomsday, and hopefully later this week ill snag bizarro.

the idea is basically pretty simple. i want big giant doomsday hands smashing through the wall. the sheetrock and paint matching is easy enough. the gigantic hands and fingernails... not so easy.

i may have to go that route on the expanding silicone (thanks mr fusion.), but in the long run i may end up just making giant hands out of styrofoam and putty and mold builder latex for the "skin".

i searched for mold expansion on google, and man, i get no love from google :(

i was hoping someone tackled something like this before, so i could sort of see what problem areas lie ahead for me. havent found much on the net though. got one guy i can call though :)

chris

Ah, then you can make a framework of wire or pvc, depending on how huge you want them. Wrap them with duct tape and paper or styrofoam to bulk out the palms and wrists a bit. This also gives the spray foam something to grab onto. Once it dries, you can trim and then skin with laytex.

David

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back