Hands on Flux Capacitor from Factory Entertainment

mhariush

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Who else here ordered the Flux Capacitor from Factory Entertainment?

I just got it the other day and overall it's a really nice piece. Nice and heavy though the Stahlin case doesn't appear to be made out of metal it still feels nice and heavy and sturdy.

The LED lights for the flux capacitor itself (right name?) are really nice, they appear to be very similar to what the tube lights originally used looked like. Maybe the color is a little off, not as warm potentially. But does not look like a series of LEDs.

There is an LED strip on the inside which is not very screen accurate. But not sure what they used on the actual screen used units there. Same thing with the 4 LED lights at the back of the case. They also appear to not be very screen accurate, since they LED for one :) and not sure if the original had lights there... Does anyone know?

The controls on the side are tastefully done. Although, If I were to choose I would have wanted them at the bottom of the box, hidden out of sight... But not sure if that would be possible on a technical level...

Overall a nice piece I have to say. With the Stahlin case costing upwards of $300 to source and then all the other materials and the build itself this does seem fairly priced IMO.

I got the signature edition, because why not, right?

I'm making a little video on this. What aspects do you think I should cover? Any questions anyone has about it? Any things I should point out or didn't notice?

And what are the actual time circuits called?

Measurement for those that are interested:

Stahlin case: 13-1/8" tall by 11-1/4" wide and 5-3/8" Deep

Case including the pipes: 15-1/4" tall approx and 14-1/4 wide and 5-3/8" Deep

2024-01-07 11.37.50.jpg
2024-01-07 11.37.58.jpg
2024-01-07 11.38.00.jpg
2024-01-07 11.38.02.jpg
2024-01-07 11.38.13.jpg
2024-01-07 11.38.22.jpg
2024-01-07 11.38.28.jpg
2024-01-07 11.38.55.jpg
2024-01-07 11.39.09.jpg
2024-01-07 11.39.32.jpg
2024-01-07 11.39.40.jpg
2024-01-07 11.39.45.jpg
2024-01-07 11.39.53.jpg
2024-01-07 11.40.45.jpg
2024-01-07 11.40.53.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the review and photos. Looks great, but the price is stratospheric relative to past alternatives (and a subjective sense of intrinsic value.)

Thanks for the review and photos. Looks great, but the price is stratospheric relative to past alternatives (and a subjective sense of intrinsic value.)
true, but i think "past" is key here :) I was looking up the price for just the stahlin case and that goes for over $300, granted this does not appear to be a real stahlin case. But factor that in plus all the other parts and electronics the cost of this fully assembled doesn't seem that high anymore... plus licensed... if that matters.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos!

I’m really on the fence with this one. Looks like a nicely done piece, but $1k is a lot of monies…

Sean

To my eyes (and hands) it feels really nice and very nicely done. There are those newer details, LED lights at the back, the LED light strip and the controls on the side that aren't screen accurate, but overall those are not that distracting.

The cost is high, for sure... But do you think it would be realistic to have one made for less these days?

The build quality and overall execution of this one is nicer than the MiB Neuralizers I think.

Is it an authentic enough reproduction to get one?
Depends on how authentic you want it... I think it definitely sells it as a flux capacitor. The controls on the side are made for this one, but I guess you could remove if you really wanted. And the LEDs at the back and around the inside is also not screen accurate, but if you want it to light up with that blue/white light then you probably need something like this anyway. The flux capacitor itself, the three lights look really nice to my eyes. And it feels really heavy and solid.

I just got mine too, and the light and sounds effects are pretty dead on. I am using it on battery power in my car, I was a little disappointed that it appears to auto turn off after 3 mins or so.

Have you tried the remote to turn it off/on and do the effect, mine is not working and I reached out to Factory Entertainment for help.

I just got mine too, and the light and sounds effects are pretty dead on. I am using it on battery power in my car, I was a little disappointed that it appears to auto turn off after 3 mins or so.

Have you tried the remote to turn it off/on and do the effect, mine is not working and I reached out to Factory Entertainment for help.

View attachment 1780179
Looks at home next to the hoverboard and cap

I emailed factory entertainment about the issue below and have not heard back, has anyone else experienced it?...

I have been having issues with the unit when using batteries. On battery power it works for a day or two and then completely stopped working. I thought maybe I had a bad batch of batteries so I replaced all 6 with brand new Duracells. Two days later same thing completely dead. I tested the batteries and 2 of the 6 were completely dead and the other 4 were fine. I thought, well maybe this is super high drain I'll get better batteries, so I installed 6 new Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. 2 Days later (without being used at all) same thing the first two batteries (looking from left to right on the back) were completely dead and the other 4 were fine. I intended on using this as a feature in my car but this battery drain when the unit is not even in use makes this unusable. Is mine defective or is this something anyone else is aware of?

Also is there any way to have this stay on Fluxing when on AC power or battery power, the On button only sets it off for 3 minutes then it shuts off. Is there a way to have it just keep Fluxing until you turn it off?

Side Note: The latches on the side are very loose and come open very easily, I had to wire mine shut to keep it closed.

Last edited:
that's interesting that two of the batteries die. I don't think running it off batteries is the best solution, especially in a car. I would get a 12v power plug for a cigarette lighter or USB to power it in your car.

I know it says in the manual not to install it in a car, but they also said they made it with that in mind...

I have an adapter and can do that if required, but I wanted the battery option when the car was off not to drain the car battery. If this was on a wall or not near an outlet inside, the batteries should be able to be left in without draining that quickly.

Do you happen to know if there any way to have this keep on on Fluxing when on AC power or battery power without a time limit?

I emailed factory entertainment about the issue below and have not heard back, has anyone else experienced it?...

I have been having issues with the unit when using batteries. On battery power it works for a day or two and then completely stopped working. I thought maybe I had a bad batch of batteries so I replaced all 6 with brand new Duracells. Two days later same thing completely dead. I tested the batteries and 2 of the 6 were completely dead and the other 4 were fine. I thought, well maybe this is super high drain I'll get better batteries, so I installed 6 new Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. 2 Days later (without being used at all) same thing the first two batteries (looking from left to right on the back) were completely dead and the other 4 were fine. I intended on using this as a feature in my car but this battery drain when the unit is not even in use makes this unusable. Is mine defective or is this something anyone else is aware of?

Also is there any way to have this stay on Fluxing when on AC power or battery power, the On button only sets it off for 3 minutes then it shuts off. Is there a way to have it just keep Fluxing until you turn it off?

Side Note: The latches on the side are very loose and come open very easily, I had to wire mine shut to keep it closed.
Buy a 12 volt power inverter that plugs into a cigarette lighter or hard wire it an 12 volt power source and that will provide the power you need. Looks like a large heat sink with a fan and provide 110 power. Used mine to power my laptop for work back in the day.

I have a 12 Volt adapter and a large Battery pack with a 12V port - but exactly what Copucrap said if it's always draining its still an issue and I would have to leave it unplugged. I probably would anyway, the basic point is I wanted to leave batteries in it so I would have the option to do either power source, it simply should not be draining anything when off.

I really hope its just a defective one and not an inherent design issue. Has anyone else who has one tried it with batteries and do they last sitting in the unit for more that a few days?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back