how to make a CLAY casting?

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
If I have something in resin I would like to make revisions to, how would I go about making a mold that clay could be pushed into, so that I can make changes in the sculpt? Thanks!

I've never tried this myself, but I've heard that you can melt some clays and literally pour it into an Ultracal mold- Any one ever tried this?

-Sarge

resin and plaster wont bond together will they?

Use a mold release on the resin part, then the hydrostone won't stick to it. I've done this before for basically the same reason, the part wasn't resin it was wood, I just put a light coating of vaseline on it before I poured the hydrostone mold.

Mold the resin piece in silicone.
Heat some clay (i would suggest something like chavant nsp medium) Try to heat the clay slowly and evenly..so something like a crock pot would be better than a microwave or toaster oven.

When the clay is molten, stir it (some slight separation sometimes occurs)

Slightly warm the mold to something like 180-240 degrees to prevent lap lines. If it is a small mold you could use a hair dryer, if it is larger use an oven.

then just pour the liquid clay in the mold and let it cool naturally (don't put it in a refrigerator anything for the first few hours)

If it is something large like a human sized bust or something, you can constantly warm the mold with a hair dryer, have a bunch of clay in a crock pot ready and brush it into the mold. Then after you have a good thickness to work with you can back it with hydrocal, plaster, polyfoam etc.

Mold the resin piece in silicone.
Heat some clay (i would suggest something like chavant nsp medium) Try to heat the clay slowly and evenly..so something like a crock pot would be better than a microwave or toaster oven.

When the clay is molten, stir it (some slight separation sometimes occurs)

Slightly warm the mold to something like 180-240 degrees to prevent lap lines. If it is a small mold you could use a hair dryer, if it is larger use an oven.

then just pour the liquid clay in the mold and let it cool naturally (don't put it in a refrigerator anything for the first few hours)

If it is something large like a human sized bust or something, you can constantly warm the mold with a hair dryer, have a bunch of clay in a crock pot ready and brush it into the mold. Then after you have a good thickness to work with you can back it with hydrocal, plaster, polyfoam etc.

this is the route i would go but be VERY! carefull with the clay in a liquid form. it will burn like a b!tch if you get it on you.

We did this a lot at a shop I worked at.

Use a double boiler so you don't burn the clay with direct heat.

Heat the RUBBER mold as stated before.

As Fettster mentioned be very careful. It's a burn you won't forget!!!

Chavant NSP and Leisure Clay are noted for melting well for casting. Roma has gotten softer over the years and has been used for this as well. Back in the day we mixed Roma and Leisure clays together for a better pour.

Good luck on your project!
Chuck...

bumping this with a follow up question:

If I am going to use the crock pot/melting method, but only have a urethane mold, should I still heat it? How hot can it get before it will get ruined?

Just melt it until it's liquid and will free flow, don't cook it... The urethane mold should be plenty good for pour temperatures...

IT has to be a rubber mold to do a pour in, silicone is best, but you can use latex or urethane as well.

It doesn't need to be silicone, I used alginate for a quick job and it came out quite well. If you need alginate just be sure that it's completely dry and warmed up with a hairdryer or something so you don't get frostlines in the cast.

Although alginate works fine i won't recommend it for a technical model, greeblies or something. For small scale work silicone works best.

For large scale (without major undercuts) go with alginate. Much cheaper.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back