How to : Lets start at the begining....Blueprints!

I don't care how much time passes, I am still trying to get my head around blueprinting an idea or model.

Was wondering if anyone has used sketch up or some other 3d program to generate pals for building their props?
I know some people use illustrator or inkspace, all great programs.

It would be great to share some of the methods that some of the great members here have used. I found this great video by my friend and RPF member Matt Munson made when he was building his Bat Grapple gun. Amazing way to break down some sizing and get something to work with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f00Y7rvZ-74&list=PLBFD243BDF2E75BAA

Share the love...

-Skyler101

I design most of my stuff in CATIA v5 these days, and will either work directly from my model or output to drawings when it comes to starting the actual build.

When you're working with assemblies, a good 3D model will help you avoid clashes and inconsistencies between parts.

I haven't read the full thread above in detail, but here's what I do. I'm lucky in that I have access to AutoCAD. I usually dig online to find a photo that's as close as possible to a straight-on side or top view. Then I insert into CAD and scale the photo up/down until it matches a known (or reasonably guessed) dimension. Then I draw it out by "tracing" over the inserted image. I turn off the image to print it out to-scale.

I don't want to come off as snarky, but I do want to say a quick word about the term "blueprint". I understand that it is part of the American vernacular to mean "construction plans", but it's actually something different. It's the technical name for an ammonia and light/heat based drawing reproduction process that hasn't been widely used in close to 20 years (if not longer). Back before large-scale xerox type copiers were cheap and common, this was how all drawings were reproduced in the construction industry. It was a slow and smelly process (ask me how I know).

The reason I bring this up is because if you go into a print shop today and ask for blueprints, they are either going to a) give you a dumb look, b) just laugh outright, or c) politely inform you they no longer have blueprint machines.

Call them whatever you want when you refer to them amongst yourselves, but be careful what you ask for if you need to get something printed.

ETA: Ok ... I just looked back and realized how old the first post in this thread is - 2002. Ooops. The last time I worked anywhere with a functioning blueline machine was 2003 - and it was already considered kind of a relic by then. My comment is still valid for today, but maybe not so much back when the thread started.

Last edited:
ETA: Ok ... I just looked back and realized how old the first post in this thread is - 2002. Ooops. The last time I worked anywhere with a functioning blueline machine was 2003 - and it was already considered kind of a relic by then. My comment is still valid for today, but maybe not so much back when the thread started.

No problems robinhood... :)

The end result is that I would like to have a game plan when putting something together, and blueprinting/sketching/doodling/or whatever you want to call it, is a great way to get an idea of where tier going without having to waste material and hours....

- Skyler101

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back