Blade Runner Blaster - where to start?

To put in my oar, I was revisiting the same questions as Vanitas about a year ago. I can offer my quick opinion of the Tomenosuke/ParagonFx replicas. I pre-ordered one of the Paragon blasters and after a while managed to get a second hand Tomenosuke "Retailer" 2019 edition blaster which, from everything I've been able to research, was the last/latest iteration of the Tomen incorporating all of their revisions. My understanding is that Paragon outsourced the manufacture of their product to Tomenosuke and my samples of the two blasters bear this out as they are 99+% identical. So if you can source one or the other of them you have a great replica to leave as-is or an excellent base from which to upgrade to your ideal replica.

Dave C

Any recommendations on where to buy a Tomenosuke, then? Most of the BR blasters that pop up on ebay are so non-specifically listed that without knowing exactly "what" to look for, most simply look the same on a cursory inspection. I'm certainly open to customizing a Tomensosuke with upgraded parts, but just want to be sure that I don't wind up picking up an incorrect version. Should I keep my eyes peeled for a secondhand one?

For new Tomens, you can buy from Paragon FX in the US.

For second hand tomens, here or on ebay, but there is obviously no reason to pay more than the new price from Paragon since those are currently in production.

Be carefull of the Di Tutto guy on ebay selling the blasters in wooden boxes. Some people were lucky and will vouch for him but he is trouble and a known recaster. his work is also much lower quality.

You'll find Sidkits and the recast from DI tutto on ebay often, to recognize those, the easiest tell I think is the double screw visible under the grips:
1701955116047.png

the real blaster and the Tomens don't have that double screw.

This below is a photo that Tomenosuke used at the time to try to prove how they used Tomens in the 2049 movies because of the tells, this is a quick way for me to show you the same tells as well :) The most recognizable tells for me are the two sprues marked E and D below, those are a result of Tomenosuke production and is not there on the real blater or on sidkits and co.
1701955279762.jpeg

There are obviously also the resin version from Tomenosuke/Paragon now, so you should make sure you are buying a metal version if this is what you want.

Tomens are also the only ones with a clean plastic magazine. Other versions out there are cast metal or resin and are often painted. The ones from Coyle have a very obvious curve into them under the barrel and are easy to recognize because of it.
1701955699763.png

I hope this helps a bit :)
cheers

I'll vouch for the Paragon FX version. Mine is very close if not exactly like a friend's Tomenosuke. (for reasons others have stated). Very pleased with it. And the opportunity to have a licensed/numbered version is nice.

I also have a collection of RAC parts that I think resulted from a "Friday afternoon" casting. Some of the parts are useable, but the receiver and bolt cap in particular were poorly cast and worthless. I have a down payment on the Dave Chaos offering with the intent of building them overtop of a Charter Arms Bulldog that I've had for a few years now. Dave confirmed that he is selling parts separately as well, so honestly that's probably the best way to go, since the Tomenosuke Builder/Assembly kits are hard to find and expensive on eBay.

To be completely correct, Tomenosuke was licensed by the studio for several years before Paragon if licensing is important to the buyer.

to answer your second question, Vanitas , the blasters used in the 2049 sequel are Tomenosuke, so if wanting a replica of that specific blaster, the Tomen is the way to go.
There was a bit of drama with this as Tomenosuke was never listed as providing the replicas and the propmaker said he did the Hero guns if I remember correctly. But it was made pretty official that Tomen were used in the movie.

Tomenosuke is also the most accurate blaster in my opinion. And can be upgraded to be absolutely amazing. My prefered route is the kit if possible but those are harder to get by.
Now, I was extremely impressed by the new offer by Dave Chaos listed above. Very impressive result, to me, the new best "home made" kit out there. The list is a bit long though so patience will be in order if going that route.
Only the last Tomenosuke model was licensed; none of the others... No matter, we love those guys.

Paragon FX Group did indeed use the Tomenosuke build team and chose the best of their models to use as the master for their Elite Blaster. The hero is also 200.00 less than what its twin was offered for. An advantage to having landed them in the US. With that, they are officially licensed by Alcon Entertainment, LLC

That said, free shipping is available as part of a holiday special, now. Grab one for 999.00
This was a 1000 piece (one time) run for Paragon. It will not be repeated. Thanks to all who've jumped in and made it so successful.

Oh, and Spinner Emblems are on the way!

The entire Product line can be viewed here:

Last edited:
The Paragon is identical to the Tomenuske with the exception of the material used on the Charter Arms Revolver parts. The plastic Charter receiver and barrel are a different plastic on the Paragon. Tomenuske uses the "Heavyweight plastic" that is infused with metal particles and can be polished up. It's minor but notable as they are not EXACTLY the same.

Just a passing comment. No need to pick at old wounds.
Tomenosuke blueprinted all of their parts for die casting so not really sure how they copied any of Coyle's work/errors. They also flew to California to inspect the actual Hero to make modifications alterations.

It's an odd "passing comment" without giving specifics.

Tomenosuke does not get enough credit for what they created for the fans.

Bang for your buck, and licensed on top I would say Paragon FX. And it's available right now and here in the states. Tomen you have to special order from Japan or buy more expensive on ebay.

Or if you want to go the printing or custom kit route.

I have a tomenosuke 2049 that I haven't built yet, got a metal barrel and cylinder for it. And I also got the Paragon FX, both the Hero and the stunt resin.

Here's a video on the Paragon FX Hero blaster with some quick showing of the Tomen.

Here are all the Paragon FX blaters, Water Pistol, Stunt resin and Hero

Tomenosuke blueprinted all of their parts for die casting so not really sure how they copied any of Coyle's work/errors. They also flew to California to inspect the actual Hero to make modifications alterations.

I do not get enough credit for what I created for the fans. I was the first boot in Coyle's butt to get this project moving decades ago.

Enough said. Move on.

Well I just picked up a secondhand Tomenosuke from somebody cool here, so I should hopefully have it in hand before long! From what I've found there seem to be upgrade parts available like a steel barrel, so I'll probably start looking into any other available upgrades.

Guess I've taken the plunge lol

Well I just picked up a secondhand Tomenosuke from somebody cool here, so I should hopefully have it in hand before long! From what I've found there seem to be upgrade parts available like a steel barrel, so I'll probably start looking into any other available upgrades.

Guess I've taken the plunge lol
Nice! Just be careful with reputability of the steel barrels sellers.
But yes, other than this, you can upgrade the weaver knob with a real one, the EE8 radio knob above it...you can make it look really great :)

Nice! Just be careful with reputability of the steel barrels sellers.
But yes, other than this, you can upgrade the weaver knob with a real one, the EE8 radio knob above it...you can make it look really great :)

Forgive me for asking, but are certain sellers of upgrade parts not/less reliable? Is there issues of things like recasting or stolen parts still going on (I've read that happened with Sidkits years ago)? Or is it just a matter of quality?

Forgive me for asking, but are certain sellers of upgrade parts not/less reliable? Is there issues of things like recasting or stolen parts still going on (I've read that happened with Sidkits years ago)? Or is it just a matter of quality?
No, in this case, tedz from Greece is not really delivering if you check the project run here, and I believe the only other seller is SD studio which is banned here I think and has a very sordid history. (Steve dizmo thread here for info)
Not a lot of good reputable sources for barrels and cylinders for the blaster at the moment I'm afraid.

Your understanding is the general consensus. They used Karl’s photos, but they also had a screen used hero in their hands as well. They also own an early rubber cast.

drusselmeyer What are the tells that tomenosuke borrowed from coyle and you? You should provide some sources (like photos) if you’re besmirching (whether intentional or not) someone else’s product without that person available to rebut your claims. Are these tells only in certain versions of their product, and did the coyle tells appear in your and his version before tomen, or at the same time? This is a product being sold by and advertised by paragon. But if this is a “passing comment” like you say, and you don’t want to provide some information, then your comment is really not helpful and possibly unwarranted.

No, in this case, tedz from Greece is not really delivering if you check the project run here, and I believe the only other seller is SD studio which is banned here I think and has a very sordid history. (Steve dizmo thread here for info)
Not a lot of good reputable sources for barrels and cylinders for the blaster at the moment I'm afraid.

I'll definitely do some looking into the history of what's happened, as while I've been on therpf for a while my primary experience is with Han's Hero DL-44 and its main thread. Don't want to make any dubious decisions either.

I just hope it is not another G** R** situation, as I vaguely remember the name Steve Dymszo as being affiliated with Master Replicas.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back