How to form foam shoulder bells or tops of helmets.

familyman

Sr Member
I have had a few people ask me if I would share how I was able to make a nice dome shape out of foam. I am using the dome shape for the top of a helmet and also maybe using the domes for shoulder pads/bells.
Sorry for the amount of pictures but I like to show every step. It is an easy but (I think) very succesful way to make them, enjoy.

This is what you will need... two plastic hard hats, I am using toy ones I picked up at a yard sale for 25c each. You will not that on one of them I have removed the little black clips that held the liner in, this is because they would of made marks on the foam. You will also need some tape.
DSCF5196.jpg

Step 1 has two parts to it, first and most important is make sure the wife is out before using the oven!!!!,, then heat up the foam.
DSCF5197.jpg

Step 2, place foam over one of the helmets. then place the other helmet on top and push them together, sandwiching the foam between the two.
DSCF5198.jpg

Step 3, tape the helmets together as tight as you can, you may need some help here. You can see my little helper in the backgroun, he was able to pick up the tape after I had dropped it.
DSCF5199.jpg

Step 4, wait for foam to cool, or put it in a cold place.
DSCF5200.jpg

Step 5, Once the foam has cooled take the tape off.
DSCF5201.jpg

Step 6, remove the two helmets, and trim the remaining foam off.
DSCF5202.jpg

Here is a dome getting ready to be used as the top of my batman cowl.
DSCF5195.jpg

Here it is on the batman cowl.
DSCF5287.jpg

Here is a dome I made for the top of an IronMan helmet.
DSCF8025.jpg

Hope this helps someone.

J

Last edited:
AWESOME.

NICE WORK! Simple and genius. Why didn't I think of this? Its a foam die!

Anyway, what temp did you heat the oven too? I may use this tech to redue the bells on my desert storm batman. I had a hard time making the bells consistent the way I did it with a bowl and a heat gun.

AWESOME.

NICE WORK! Simple and genius. Why didn't I think of this? Its a foam die!

Anyway, what temp did you heat the oven too? I may use this tech to redue the bells on my desert storm batman. I had a hard time making the bells consistent the way I did it with a bowl and a heat gun.

Thanks for the visuals! Helps a lot!

Soft enough to me, is when the foam is very bendable. You want it sof enough that it will form well. I just did trial and error and luckily for me there was no error. And if it doesn't work well you can just reheat the foam again. Sorry I can not be any more help with regards to the softness of the foam.

Great tip, thanks for posting, made me laugh with the fist step ,make sure the wife is out, I know where you are coming from.

I saw this and was going to use it for my shoulder bells, but I was not allowed to go near the oven. =( well that and I didn't have two helmets.

Excellent method! Thanks for sharing.

You've saved me a lot of trial and error on how to make shoulder bells (pauldrons) for my current project.

Much appreciated :thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back