How to form foam shoulder bells or tops of helmets.

Wow I can't believe how much feedback my tutorial has gained. I am so glad so many of you have found this usefull. I am so glad I have been able to contribute. And yes it is EVA foam.

Don't forget to leave the excess foam until it is formed. It has less tendency to leave wrinkles this way. You can trim it back later. This applies when wet forming leather as well.

This was super useful. Had some extra foam around and tested it between two muffin pans. Works super good.

pucks.jpg

in case anyone is wondering, the toy helmet he uses are called bump caps. You can find them on amazon for $6. Search for pyramex bump cap.

This is an awesome technique, Obsidiank thanks for the heads up on the bump caps. Going to order a set myself, and wow Ream that muffin tin take looks great. It sure has a carbon fiber look to it doesn't it?

Awesome! Wish I wouldve seen this last week before I got rid of my old oven that still worked perfectly. The wife def wont let me do it in the new one haha

Just tried this with a pyrex mixing bowl and a smaller metal kitchen bowl, and it worked perfectly! Great tip!

Annnd I followed that up today making some armor shoulder guards, using a toy baseball cap, and a toy army helmet insert. (It was smaller, and more round)

Again, the results were perfect! For the thinner foam mats, 375 x 1 minute seems a bit harsh.. I think 325 or 350 might be a better choice.

I saved them locally for reference, so I'll repost his original post with his pics in place hosted here:

I have had a few people ask me if I would share how I was able to make a nice dome shape out of foam. I am using the dome shape for the top of a helmet and also maybe using the domes for shoulder pads/bells.

Sorry for the amount of pictures but I like to show every step. It is an easy but (I think) very successful way to make them, enjoy.

This is what you will need... two plastic hard hats, I am using toy ones I picked up at a yard sale for 25c each. You will not that on one of them I have removed the little black clips that held the liner in, this is because they would of made marks on the foam. You will also need some tape.
DSCF5196.jpg

Step 1 has two parts to it, first and most important is make sure the wife is out before using the oven!!!!,, then heat up the foam.
DSCF5197.jpg

Step 2, place foam over one of the helmets. then place the other helmet on top and push them together, sandwiching the foam between the two.
DSCF5198.jpg

Step 3, tape the helmets together as tight as you can, you may need some help here. You can see my little helper in the backgroun, he was able to pick up the tape after I had dropped it.
DSCF5199.jpg

Step 4, wait for foam to cool, or put it in a cold place.
DSCF5200.jpg

Step 5, Once the foam has cooled take the tape off.
DSCF5201.jpg

Step 6, remove the two helmets, and trim the remaining foam off.
DSCF5202.jpg

Here is a dome getting ready to be used as the top of my batman cowl.
DSCF5195.jpg
Here it is on the batman cowl.
DSCF5287.jpg
Here is a dome I made for the top of an IronMan helmet.
DSCF8025.jpg

Hope this helps someone.

Note: I ignored the step with the tape. I just held them together firmly in place, and have a small fan running during the molding. I just let the fan blow the cool air into the helmets, and the foam cools off within a minute or two. Also he recommended using 375 for a minute.. for the thinner rolled foam, reduce this to 300-340 for a minute.. and keep an eye on the foam.. it'll flatten, and then start to bow up as it heats.. when it starts to bow up, it has become moldable.

Run long beads of hotglue on the inside of the domed part to help them retain their shape in the future, and repeat that at a 90 degree angle so you have a checkerboard or fence kind of look to the hot glue beads. when the foam heats up, it can try to go back to its original shape. If you've skinned the foam with plastidip pva glue, or used the inside hot glue trick, it'll be more prone to retain its new molded form over time.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back