How does one choose an airbrush?

verdaera

Hello!

I'm Vera, I'm rather new to the forum :)

I am beginning a new chapter in the skills I'm trying to learn... I mostly do textile crafts, but I'm trying to get into make-up. I am planning on doing a Mystique costume for the 2014 costume season (fully clothed version, mind) and will be getting my face cast later this year and will play with sculpting and casting.

I find myself in a position to get an airbrush, which I've been wanting for awhile. I want to be able to use it for make-up application, but also for fabric painting, which is something I'll need to do fairly soon. I recently attended a panel on airbrushing at a small convention and thought I received enough info, but when I went to the store website I was going to, I got utterly confused. My research isn't panning out to give me difinitive answers, so does anyone have any recommendations on how to look for an airbrush and compressor for the applications I'm looking for?

This is the store page I was looking at, but I can try and find other shops around town. I don't want to get an extremely expensive unit as a beginner: Airbrush Selection Chart - BLICK art materials

Any advice would be appreciated :)
~Vera

I know this is kind of a non specific answer but stick with an iwata. I had a paasche and im looking to get an iwata myself.

I agree with Friko. The Iwata Eclipse is a work horse, and seems to be the standard for airbrushes. As far as compressors go, if you're not looking to spend to much, I'd go the Harbor Freight route.

I used a Badger 150 for many years and recently changed to an Iwata-HP-C PLUS and have been more than pleased at the quality and precision of this airbrush over the Badger 150.

I was using a badger myself, and I had to let a friend borrow it and he broke it somehow, so I have been in the market for a new one myself. I have heard lots of good things about the Iwata brushes, so looking into those could work. Like pitchfork mentioned, I got an awesome air compressor at Harbor Freight for 30 bucks, its noisy, but I dont care, I listen to loud music anyway.

before choosing an airbrush, you have to choose what are you going to be brushing through it? -latex based paints/makeups, alcohol activated makeups, dyes, inks, rubber cement paint, or even PAX. What purpose will it serve? ( broad work/fine detail).
Most fx artists will have 2 airbrushes in their kit, a single action such as the paasche H (my personal fave) and then a dual action detail brush like the iwata eclipse.

If you're just starting and by the sounds of things will be doing more broad work, i'd recommend getting a paasche H brush to begin with. It's single action, easy to use, hard to clog and even if it does clog, its easy to repair yourself. You can put pretty much everything through it. It's also cheap and doesnt have a flimsy needle like the Iwatas.

Compressor doesnt really matter. i recommend going with something that has at least 1gal storage so that it isnt always cycling on to refill itself. you can go with a constant flow one like iwata's silent compressors but they're overpriced in my opinion. If you buy a standard compressor, make sure its fitted with a moisture trap and a pressure regulator. You want to be able to regulate and spray up to 100 psi (not that i ever spray at that pressure but its handy for cleaning the brush and sometimes mask work) Typically i spray at about 35-45psi.

Whatever you do, do not buy a cheap airbrush. Get a good name brand that has tried and true construction.

I'm working on some designs right now but i might whip up a quick prosthetic and tape it for an instructional video on my youtube page showing the paasche H ins and outs and how it works so that you can see the beast in action.

I can recommend a great vendors website, that specializes in airbrushes specifically. This is who I get all my supplies from.

http://www.bearair.com/

Some things to think about when selecting an airbrush:
1. Does your work require a double action or single action airbrush?
2. Gravity fed or Syphon fed cup?
3. Fittings and needles, what are they made of?
4. What PSI range on a compressor do you need?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I trained under a professional illustrator in high school years ago. Kurt Biddle. I was constantly told by the man. It doesn't matter which one you pick, its how you use it. I started out with a $200 setup. An Iwata Hp and a little 1 gallon silent compressor. I had plenty of fellow students show me up with cheaper setups.

Last edited:
One more tip I use for cleanup. Cut a 2 leter soda bottle in half, stuff it half full of paper towels. And duct tape it back together. when cleaning out your air brush. Spray your cleaning solution through it into the spout of the 2 leter bottle. It Contains overspray for less mess, and easy disposal.

I'm really glad the OP brought this topic up. I'm looking into painting my sculptures and have my old Paasche VL and was wondering if it was adequate for that kind of work. I also bought a small compressor a loooong time ago that never worked out because it couldn't maintain a constant air flow and caused my paint to sputter big time. I'm enjoying this thread a lot.

Thanks to the OP.

-Grimm
(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD)

Thanks for the advice :)

From all the research, Iwata seems to be one of the top brands... I chose something midrange

http://www.rebelshaven.com/images/airbrush.jpg

An Iwata Studio Series Ninja Jet compressor and a Revolution CR airbrush. I figure it's enough to get me started and once I get a feel for it, if I decide either aren't quite the right one I am told that I can pretty much get my money back selling it to get a different one. Does anyone have these particular models?

~Vera

Re: Re: How does one choose an airbrush?

How do you know which to use?

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Single action give you control of air flow only on the trigger, on some you can adjust color flow with turn of the tip or needle. Great tools for laying even coats of color on a surface. Typically cheaper

Double action gives you control of color and air flow from the trigger. This makes it easier to adjust width of spray patterns, and depth of color at a touch. Give you more control for variations in details. Typically more expensive.

before choosing an airbrush, you have to choose what are you going to be brushing through it? -latex based paints/makeups, alcohol activated makeups, dyes, inks, rubber cement paint, or even PAX. What purpose will it serve? ( broad work/fine detail).
Most fx artists will have 2 airbrushes in their kit, a single action such as the paasche H (my personal fave) and then a dual action detail brush like the iwata eclipse.

yes, this pretty much sums it up. paasche h is an external mix airbrush, great for latex paints and iwata eclipse is an internal mix that is great for detail. i also have a cheapo mini hvlp gun which has proved invaluable for doing base coats.

remember: you have to clean it EVERY TIME YOU USE IT or you are going to spend more time fighting with the airbrush than you will be using it!

I can recommend a great vendors website, that specializes in airbrushes specifically. This is who I get all my supplies from.

BearAir - Airbrush Supplies - Airbrushes - Compressors

3. Fittings and needles, what are they made of?
4. What PSI range on a compressor do you need?

when I was choosing mine I went through a few youtube videos about "choosing the right airbrush" where they went through the different configurations and types and showed them in use.

Thats a great idea. Youtube wasn't in existence when I was in the market for one. That would have made it so much easier.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back