HELP. I need suggestions of how to make an armature.

Antonis13

Hello all!

So, my plan was to make a papercraft armature, with as much accurate dimensions/size/measurements. And then fill it with plaster and have an armature to make masks.
I have made the papercraft and it turned pretty good.

My concerns are quite a lot. Should I just pour plaster right into it? I thought about pouring the plaster inside of it, but to make it hollow, so it will not be as heavy as if it would a full block of plaster. And to make it stronger, I could apply hemp fabric to it or something simillar to make it stronger. What would you suggest me to do?

Edit: I also though about making stronger by paper mache, and then pour the plaster on it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 49
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 49
I have done this for smaller things, Using thick sturdy paper (not printer paper) i built my pepakura model with the tabs on the outside( so it did not get showing up later ) and then slushed a couple of layers of liquid latex inside to cover all the sides (thus making it watertight.) Then i used casting resin with a fast curing time and slushed it around in thin layers until all the side was covered. After it had cured and i was sure all the side had the same thickness of resin i removed the pepakura paper and then the latex just peeled of the resin revealing my "casted pepakura model" Im sure you could then fill it with what ever you might wanna have it filled with (expanded foam perhaps) Just remember to make the pepakura model sturdy before filling it with latex/resin. So cover the large bottom hole with a flat piece of thick paper aswell so it will not warp the model when handling it. You only need a small hole 1x1-2x2 cm hole to pour the latex and resin in.

I have done this for smaller things, Using thick sturdy paper (not printer paper) i built my pepakura model with the tabs on the outside( so it did not get showing up later ) and then slushed a couple of layers of liquid latex inside to cover all the sides (thus making it watertight.) Then i used casting resin with a fast curing time and slushed it around in thin layers until all the side was covered. After it had cured and i was sure all the side had the same thickness of resin i removed the pepakura paper and then the latex just peeled of the resin revealing my "casted pepakura model" Im sure you could then fill it with what ever you might wanna have it filled with (expanded foam perhaps) Just remember to make the pepakura model sturdy before filling it with latex/resin. So cover the large bottom hole with a flat piece of thick paper aswell so it will not warp the model when handling it. You only need a small hole 1x1-2x2 cm hole to pour the latex and resin in.
Thank you for your reply!

I have made it, quite heavy though. I made another one of this papercraft,(because of a failed 1st attempt), I renforced it with tape inside and outside, and I filled it with plaster. I basically make a thick wall of plaster inside of it, its not fully filled.
It's a little heavy, and it will be a nightmare when I make molds of the masks. But all in all I'm pretty satisfied.

Although, it needs a little work more, just to make it more smooth. But the dimensions are all good.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 35

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back