How does Anakin bring Balance to the Force?

My own personal take on this is that both the Jedi and the Sith were "polluting" the Force. They had reached a kind of dead end. The Jedi were stagnant and so focussed on their code that they lost the essence of the light side. Same with the Sith, by trying to force the rule of two it started to pool the dark side into a select few individuals and became counter-productive.

Anakin brings down the Jedi and the Sith, opening the way for a new generation of Jedi who have learned to mind their emotions, but not the point of stupidity. Thanks to Luke Jedi get a life.

With Palpatine and Vader gone, a new generation of Sith will arise and learn new ways to handle the dark side

How does killing the emperor bring balance? I don't get it.

I am not arguing the topic, just presenting my side based on movies and books combined.
The emperor has built up his dark side power to a point that it is dominating the galaxy, he is holding the Empire together and keeping descent at a minimum through force of will combined with a extreme amount of Darkside power. (when he dies the empire is torn apart from within quickly because he is no longer forcing his will on the collective group, massive desertions and inside battles) He has shifted the balance of light and dark in the universe, which tends to be at equal amounts of both.
His power is also at such a level at that point that a betrayal by someone who he truly trusts is the only chance for his defeat, and even that would fail without someone who was part machine (which allowed him to finish the throw even with the sith lightening)
It is tipping the sales back to the middle, killing off the person who is so powerful with one side over another that they have upset the balance that fulfills his destiny.

Like I said I am not debating others views, or saying I am right, just sharing what I think. With the very bitter and vocal prequel and Lucas haters around here I try to not post in this type of thread, and likely will regret this one. But what the heck, I will hit and run on it and just post my opinion anyway.:thumbsup

When George Lucas has already stated quite clearly and unmistakingly that killing the Sith is bringing balance to the Force and thus fulfilling the prophecy... what really is there to argue?

Until of course he changes his mind.

Uncle G just thought it sounded cool.

That's it.

And when you rely on things based solely on the idea that they sound 'cool', they tend to cause more complications than revelations.

This prophecy element in the prequel story line is one of the most inconsistent and poorly thought out additions to Star Wars. Not simply because they added it in, but because it just wasn't handled well. Let me try to explain.

Qui-Gon: He was trained in the Jedi arts. My only conclusion is that it was a Sith Lord.
Ki-Adi Mundi: Impossible. The Sith have been extinct for a millennium.

Ok. The Sith have been out of the picture for a thousand years. They've been gone for so long that the Jedi think their reemergence is out right impossible. If that is the case, why do they still keep the prophecy? As Obi-Wan states in Episode III-

Obi-Wan: Is he not the chosen one? Is he not to destroy the sith and bring balance to the Force?

The prophecy seems to specifically state that the Sith need to be destroyed AND bring balance to the Force. Unfortunately in Episode I, none of the Jedi put the two together.

Mace Windu: You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but if the Sith were a part of that prophecy to begin with and the Jedi know it like it was common knowledge, why don't they put the two things together? For the first two episodes, no one associates the Sith and Anakin's 'chosen one' status as one and the same. Why? Because they never were when it started out. If you listen to Lucas in his Episode 1 commentary, he states that Episode II would delve deeper into the whole prophecy storyline. And how did he make on that promise?

Mace Windu: if the prophecy is true, your apprentice is the only one who can bring the Force back into balance.

That is all that we ever get out of the prophecy in Episode II. If you want a bonus round, he also states in his Episode II commentary that he was going to reveal who deleted Kamino from the Jedi data banks in Episode III. What do we get instead? Well, in his Episode III commentary, he simply says "Audiences should be able to connect the dots that it was Dooku." Oh, thank you George. I came up with that idea long before we were introduced to Dooku since he's a rogue Jedi and all, but since you tried to keep it a secret and not reveal it till Episode III, I just assumed you were going to be creative for once instead of resorting to the blatantly obvious. :unsure

In the words of Plinkett:

Plinkett: "You see, A guy named of William Shakesman once said, "Brevity is the soul of wit". This just means don't waste my time. You keep it nice and simple....I said stop wasting my time! Stop it!

So in conclusion, Lucas didn't know jack about the prophecy and just stuck it in Episode I thinking that it will somehow play out as the story progressed. Unfortunately, he didn't write that story, and in the end just said "fu** it" and wrote the "destroy the Sith" so everyone will think that killing Palpatine somehow fixes everything.

Some guys just have bigger browsers than others. Don't feel bad. It's not like the size matters really, its how you scroll it.

Aham. Anyway back to Anakin. The whole prophecy just seems like something they put in to that the Jedi would accept Anakin for training. It doesn't seem to make sense in any other way.

There's an accordingly huge thread all about this over at sw.com

Somebody made the point that Anakin wiping out most of the Jedi was the "balance" in the prophecy.

Well, we see in one of the Prequels (Episode 2 maybe?) that the power of the Jedi is diminishing -- Yoda is less able to see into the future as "the dark side clouds everything".

The way of the Sith is to direct the force, the use it for one's own end and power. From the perspective of the Jedi, this is inevitably evil, as their philosophy seems more suited to allowing oneself to become an instrument for the force to move. Rather than seeking personal gain, they essentially try to protect all life, or as much of it as is feasible at any given time.

If we can agree on those points, my initial take was that it was killing those who clouded the force that brought balance back, as has been pointed out several times in this thread.

HOWEVER, reading over the posts has made me realize something. The prophecy is well known among the Jedi, among whom there are those who try to see the future at various distances.

Doesn't that likely mean that it was a Jedi who made the prophecy? If that's the case, then "balance" doesn't necessarily mean genuine balance (ie light v dark in equal number), but could just mean the Jedi's concept of a balanced force.

The problem is the use of the word "balance".

We think of it in terms of equality. Both sides of something must be the same to be "balanced".

But as some have already stated- it's about eliminating the Sith altogether. So we all need to stop thinking of "balance" in terms of equality here.

Think of the Force as a pond that is level and serene. Undisturbed. It is completely calm with a mirror like surface. It is "balanced".

The Sith come along and mess things up. They throw rocks into the pond. They make waves. They "disturb the Force".

So in order for there to be "balance"- all Sith must be destroyed. The Sith (evil) must not exist.

A better word might have been "harmony" or perhaps "peace".

Kevin

Last edited:
...I believe that, in the canon universe, Anakin was the first person to switch from dark to light. Ever. What he did allowed people after him to do the same, but it required him to do what he did first.

This also expands on the whole "destiny" thing with the prophecy. ...

So that's what happened, I say.. to hell with what George says, my theory actually makes the whole saga mean more, I think.

I like it. :thumbsup

I also like the idea that someone brought up that the Jedi were blinded by their code. That is something I think makes anyone vulnerable - good people swearing loyalty to an organization dedicated to principles they think is good and then living for the loyalty instead of the principles - even when the organization itself is committing evil.

To me THAT is the imbalance the Jedi had caused. They were supposed to be peace keepers that supported democracy and freedom, but their loyalty to the republic and the senate blinded them to the point that they would fight and kill to spread the empire of evil that was taking over.

It's not a mystery people. With what Lucas said that the absence of the Dark Side means balance, if you think about it Yoda says "Life creates the Force." The Dark Side DESTROYS LIFE. So there you go. People are over thinking it.

Going back to the light side is a funny concept as well, if you think about it.

Vader/Anakin killed younglings, countless Jedi, Rebels and even his own officers. He almost killed his own son, but got his ass whipped.

His boss laughed about this and told Luke to kill Vader.

When Luke didn't, Vader, still pissed off at his boss, and wanting to save Luke, threw his boss down a mine shaft and got blasted by force lightening. Suddenly, he is redeemed.

He dies and becomes Hayden Christianson again, the force is in balance.

I dunno, it's a funny concept. Does one right undo a thousand wrongs? What is the moral?

Well, it's only a movie...

Those laser swords are cool.

Does one right undo a thousand wrongs?

No. Decades of deception, murder and genocide cannot and should not be forgiven just because he tosses an old guy off a catwalk. Sure, you can say he sacrificed himself to save his son, but dying gets him off the hook for any potential 'good deeds' he could have brought. I spit at his smiling ghost.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back