How Do You Make a Good Star Wars Movie?

To my mind, an integral part of the Star Wars universe includes familiar alien species we have all come to recognise. There seems to be no shortage of humans but i don't recall seeing any aliens I know in the new movies so far. Sure, it's a big Galaxy and new aliens means new toys but look at the streets of Jehda, with the exception of a gratuitous call back every 'person' is just hooded or wears a bucket on their head, it's laughable.

For me it's simple just keep them simple don't over do things kids are not dumb treat them as you would an adult - no stupid sequences where in about a couple of years they will look back on it and say that's actually really lame. Rogue One did nothing dumb no stupid jokes had a sense of urgency but kept things grounded as did Star Wars and ESB before it. The rest are all full of wouldn't this be good if we did this or if we did that - no just stop your destroying what was once held dear, and turning it into a joke - just seeing this Solo trailer I'm thinking this will go down as a pile of cr@p in a few years no one will look back on it and say what a great movie it was.

I don't rate ROTJ much either as I always thought it should have been 2 films - the hunt for Han, and then the second to finish of the empire. It was simply too hurried.

I agree with the geek tragedy thing but I think the current political and societal agendas that are woven within the film industry ultimately have ruined what is essentially a relatively young art form in order to make money. The studio system is bigger than ever. It has gotten so bad with this last film that I basically feel like Star Wars fans are being trolled. Rian Johnson made an insanely disappointing movie and I'm glad that enlightened people are voicing that and not merely following their favourite logos.

Agreed.

I agree with the geek tragedy thing but I think the current political and societal agendas that are woven within the film industry ultimately have ruined what is essentially a relatively young art form in order to make money. The studio system is bigger than ever. It has gotten so bad with this last film that I basically feel like Star Wars fans are being trolled. Rian Johnson made an insanely disappointing movie and I'm glad that enlightened people are voicing that and not merely following their favourite logos.

Actually the studio system and their monopoly on distribution is being challenged. Creative content is finding multiple mediums for being made and distributed. Traditional studios are competing with new players like Netflix and Amazon who can pay for content and have their own distribution channels. If anything, studio's need to to sharpen up and compete. By any estimation, it's a golden age of new content creation vs. the old studio system.

And McDisney wants to own them all.

Own? No. Compete? Yes. They own valuable franchises, even more through the Fox acquisition, and that can support their content distribution, both theater and streaming. But that doesn’t change the reality that non-studio projects still can succeed. It’s a whole new world for entertainment creation and delivery. I invest more $ in Netflix and Amazon then Disney, FYI.

I could make a Star Wars movie for half a million.

You have a small team of Rebels on the far side of Yavin fixing a sensor relay. They lose contact with home base when their speeder, parked on a precipice, accidentally goes over the edge and is destroyed. They see the Death Star in orbit and have no idea what to do. A short time later, a tie fighter crashes in the distance. The go through the jungle to find it, hoping it has a radio or is operation enough to get back to base.

The tie fighter is empty and ruined. They start the long hike back to base, and one by one they are picked off by something dark and evil in the night jungle. Spoiler-- it's Vader. So basically, Friday the 13th in the Star Wars universe.

I'm half serious.

This artwork came to mind when I read your post... (From the 2016 ILM Art contest)

11193-2-7c05f55aa34432e461e4f8149287d391-piddy.jpg

SB

I felt the same.

To be fair though, I found TFA and TLJ to be pretty forgettable too. In fact, I can only think of Rey's theme off the top of my head.

That's because without the retarded jump in special effects the originals had, IV, V, and VI would have been almost completely forgettable too.

People weren't going back to the theaters 7, 8, and 9 times so that they could watch Alec Guinness wobble about when he felt a loss in the force, or to listen to two incompetent guards talk about the cool new space-sports-car that was coming out soon.

They came for laser swords, and space ships exploding. Hell, they came to watch the opening crawl move away, instead of just up, that's how low their expectations of special effects were, compared to what they got.

VII, R1, and VIII don't have that leg up of amazing special effects compared to what we expect.

Even those of us that saw star wars for the first time on VHS as kids over deify those movies, because at the time they were still some of the best looking movies we'd have seen. TV sure wasn't pulling those sort of effects off, and anything else that had come out that looked so pretty were movies that TV wouldn't air due to ratings, or we couldn't see in theaters because of ratings.

You start a kid these days on episodes VII, VIII, and (eventually) IX, and I guarantee they'll like them more than the originals, cause they'll feel a bond with 7-9 (having seen them first) and because at the end of the day, the original star wars flicks were just pretty-darn-good hero's journey films, with perfect timing when it came to special effects.

Saw Avengers: Infinity War last night.

First off, all that follows is IMHO, but at the same time I've never felt so secure in an opinion (and yet so frustrated about it).

I won't get into any details obviously, but one thing that resonated in a major way afterward, was that after being on the edge of my seat for 2.5 hours (and I'm not even a big Marvel fan), that there's absolutely no reason - on merit, in terms of content, as opposed to corporate agenda - that a Star Wars movie can't feel as weighty; basking with consequence, and yet still balancing some humor (that's actually funny). It HAS happened. We know it's possible.

So, all of these, "But it was meant for kids! It's not supposed to have any depth!" (read: it's not supposed to make you feel anything) sorts, have had their opinion forever rendered inconsequential, in my eyes. There are still compelling stories to be told, by characters found interesting by all ages. Figure it out, Disney. Figure it out.

Saw Avengers: Infinity War last night.

First off, all that follows is IMHO, but at the same time I've never felt so secure in an opinion (and yet so frustrated about it).

I won't get into any details obviously, but one thing that resonated in a major way afterward, was that after being on the edge of my seat for 2.5 hours (and I'm not even a big Marvel fan), that there's absolutely no reason - on merit, in terms of content, as opposed to corporate agenda - that a Star Wars movie can't feel as weighty; basking with consequence, and yet still balancing some humor (that's actually funny). It HAS happened. We know it's possible.

So, all of these, "But it was meant for kids! It's not supposed to have any depth!" (read: it's not supposed to make you feel anything) sorts, have had their opinion forever rendered inconsequential, in my eyes. There are still compelling stories to be told, by characters found interesting by all ages. Figure it out, Disney. Figure it out.

What I don't understand is how Disney owns both Marvel and Star Wars and the creative team behind the MCU is killing it, yet they can't seem to figure out what to do with Star Wars...

Simple answer: you don't. Know matter what you do, it's going to **** people off. Too much new stuff? "This is too different!" Too much familiarity? "This is just a rip off!" So, if you want everybody's opinion on what is a "good" SW movie, you may as well just pop in any of the original 3 because that's the only ones that people can agree are the "good" ones.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back