How do you display your JP amber chunk?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by begsby, Jun 24, 2006.

1. begsby

begsby Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I've been trying to figure out how to best display my amber chunk for a week or so. Curious to see what others have come up with,

2. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Here is my Jurassic Park display.

Also, here is the link to an interactive flash presentation of my display that I put together for my prop web page (if I ever get enough time to put one together :D). Of course it requires that you have the flash player plugin for your browser, is best viewed with 1024x768 or higher resolution and the file is about 4.5MB so it might take a bit of time to load.

Jurassic Park Display Flash Presentation

JP Display

[​IMG]

Raw Amber Piece

[​IMG]

Cryo-Can

[​IMG]

Raptor Claw

[​IMG]

Jurassic Park Brochure

[​IMG]

3. SaberFreak

SaberFreak Sr Member

I'm waaaay down on the wait list for the chunk, but if I get one I'm gonna mount it on a walking stick just like in the movie. If I have the space and the money I'll make a long glass case with a light on top to display it.

4. blufive

blufive Sr Member

It seems like your server is being a little touchy today:

Error 403: Forbidden.

The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated.

5. luke moonwalker

luke moonwalker Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just have it sitting on a shelf with my other JP stuff... nothing too exciting. A lit base might be nice.

[image]http://home.rochester.rr.com/jaypics/DSCF1033.JPG[/image]

-Jay

6. begsby

begsby Well-Known Member

Very nice Luke.

Montagar - Looking forward to you getting those pic links up and going.

7. SaberFreak

SaberFreak Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(luke moonwalker @ Jun 25 2006, 12:26 AM) [snapback]1267303[/snapback]</div>
    Jay, that chunk of yours look awefully orangy...It looks like a chunk of orange plastic then an amber chunk. Is that the actual colour of its because of the lighting?

8. luke moonwalker

luke moonwalker Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(SaberFreak @ Jun 24 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]1267306[/snapback]</div>
    Jay, that chunk of yours look awefully orangy...It looks like a chunk of orange plastic then an amber chunk. Is that the actual colour of its because of the lighting?
    [/b][/quote]

That's the actual color. Up close it is a little more transparent, but it definately has an orange tinge to it.

Just found these lighted bases too... might be cool. I'd probably replace the different colored LEDS with all white, but it's still pretty cheap.

Lighted base

-Jay

9. Montagar

Don't know what the problem was but it's working now. :thumbsup

10. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(SaberFreak @ Jun 24 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]1267291[/snapback]</div>

No need to mangle up a great amber chunk. ;) Rylo already did a great Hammond cane, he's the same guy that did the Cryocans.

[​IMG]

11. Mxlplx

Mxlplx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic displays guy's.

I can attest to some of the amber being more orange than others, as I'm half of the duo supplying them.
    This is trial and error folks, we have a recipe, yet sometimes the plastic doesn't play well with others. And it comes out a bit orange. Each one is unique, no 2 bugs are the same, and no 2 chunks have the same polished surface. These come out random, and we like it that way. As with both our cane tops and chunks, they are interpretations, not screen copies. And you are right, no need to mangle an amber chunk, as we supplied Rylo with the cane tops too.

We're pumping out the orders as fast as we can. I hope everyone is enjoying them, Jon.

12. shotts63

shotts63 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a lighted display,it would really look cool.
    I received my chunk the other day and it looks great...Thanks Jon..
    Doug

13. SurferGeek

I have plans on modifying a couple shelves of one of my Detolf cases to allow me to display my Hammond cane. I will have a glass shop cut small corner of probably two shelves and stand the cane in the back corner.

[​IMG]

14. SaberFreak

SaberFreak Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Mxlplx @ Jun 25 2006, 07:15 AM) [snapback]1267520[/snapback]</div>
    Is it possible to get a chunk already mounted on the cane like in the pic above? :)

Is that a real bamboo cane or a resin cast or made of wood??

15. SurferGeek

<div class='quotetop'>(SaberFreak @ Jun 24 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]1267583[/snapback]</div>
    Is it possible to get a chunk already mounted on the cane like in the pic above? :)

[/b][/quote]

It's a lathe turned wood cane that has been detailed, painted and weathered with a clear coat to protect it. It's a sweet replica. I don't think it was supposed to look like bamboo but rather a stack of dino bones.

16. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Don't know if Rylo's Hammond canes are still available, but, like everything else Rylo makes, they're gorgeous and splendidly detailed.

SurferGeek, I'll be very interested to see how your Detolf mod comes out. I remember the original discussion of this several months ago and thought it was a terrific idea. Ikea has finally opened in Japan and, to my delight, my wife zeroed right in on those Detolf cases and said, "Hey, those would be great for displaying your collection." Please post pics of the cane in your customized Detolf when everything is finished. :)

Hey, Luke... nice hardhat. :D

17. The_Dwimmerlaik

The_Dwimmerlaik New Member

Hello
    Im new here i have already know the things that many persons made here, so i want to know if i still can get the cryo can and how much $$?, thanks

18. Mxlplx

<div class='quotetop'>(SaberFreak @ Jun 24 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]1267583[/snapback]</div>

[/b][/quote]

We can definately provide you with a cane top, but the canes were finished and assembled by Rylo.

19. muttley

muttley Well-Known Member

Can anybody get some screen caps of the Mr DNA guy and the part where they inserted the needle into the amber chunk to get the DNA.

I kinda like having a screen cap displayed nearby for my slower friends :p

"Why do you have this?....oooooohhhhhhhhh COOL I LOVE THAT MOVIE."

:lol

20. Montagar

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ Jun 24 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]1267623[/snapback]</div>
    Here ya go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. muttley

muttley Well-Known Member

THANKS..

The next question is....are those JP brochures in the 'Free Paper Props" thread?

22. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"... Because Grant is like me ... he's a digger..."

[​IMG]

"... And bingo: dino DNA."

[​IMG]

-Mike

23. Montagar

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ Jun 25 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]1267801[/snapback]</div>
    Send a PM to Ashfrank for the details on the JP brochures in my display.

24. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Is it too late to get on the list for the amber chuncks???
    please let me know, thanks

25. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Mxlplx @ Jun 24 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]1267615[/snapback]</div>

PM sent on the cane top. I live on a tree farm, and we have about 3 acres of various types of bamboo and cane that we grow. Making the cane isn't a problem - I just need the top for it. :D

Thanks.

J

26. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

i`m on the list... i wonder how long and how much??..

27. SurferGeek

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ Jun 25 2006, 07:58 AM) [snapback]1267803[/snapback]</div>

I love how the wings were so blatently faked but I guess for a couple second screen time it worked. Maybe they should have talked to Mxlplx. ;) The ones in the cane tops and the amber chunks are perfect. :thumbsup

28. Mxlplx

"Maybe they should have talked to Mxlplx. ;) The ones in the cane tops and the amber chunks are perfect. " :thumbsup

Awwww, shucks. I'm blushing. Thanks fella's. It's my buddy Jim who deserves most of the credit, I'm just the PR guy lately, he's the one one sweating.

29. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the compliments on the canes and cryo-cans guys. Neither are available any longer.

I may consider a final cryo-can run if the interest was there...not sure. Ton of machine work in those buggers.

NOTE: While many confuse it for bamboo, The Hammond cane body is supposed to be a dino-tail fossil.

Rylo

30. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

i`m going to use a lighted turntable, a real small one that had a piece of crystal on it that my daughter broke, i was going to throw it away but now i have a use for it.

31. Atin_TX6203

Atin_TX6203 New Member

I to would be interested in the kryo can if there is a run...

On a side note, earleir this year I took a cruise through the Hawaiin Islands.
    While in Kuai, I took a tour that took you to all the places movies where filmed there.
    The exciting parts where the mountain in the background that goes from the Paramount mountain to opening scenes of Raiders.
    The beach and cove where the little girl is killed in JP2.
    The first time Hammond says "Welcome to JP" and they show the swamp scene with all the dinos running around.
    And last but not least, when Newman is eating and gets the kryo can from the agent..

It was awqesome to actually walk on the beach I kept waiting for the little dinos to come out and start attacking :p
    But the swamp area was a bit dissapointing, It is next to a major (well as major as it can be in Kuai) highway. With no dinos there it was a bit saddning...

32. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

33. Prop-Builder

Prop-Builder Well-Known Member

Here's an amber chunk I did. I have one of these displayed on a rotating light stand, so the amber looks illuminated! ;)

[​IMG]