How do you display your JP amber chunk?

begsby

Hey guys,

I've been trying to figure out how to best display my amber chunk for a week or so. Curious to see what others have come up with,

Here is my Jurassic Park display.

Also, here is the link to an interactive flash presentation of my display that I put together for my prop web page (if I ever get enough time to put one together :D). Of course it requires that you have the flash player plugin for your browser, is best viewed with 1024x768 or higher resolution and the file is about 4.5MB so it might take a bit of time to load.

Jurassic Park Display Flash Presentation

JP Display

jp-main.jpg

Raw Amber Piece

amber.jpg

Cryo-Can

cryo.jpg

Raptor Claw

claw-closeup.jpg

Jurassic Park Brochure

map-closeup.jpg

I'm waaaay down on the wait list for the chunk, but if I get one I'm gonna mount it on a walking stick just like in the movie. If I have the space and the money I'll make a long glass case with a light on top to display it.

It seems like your server is being a little touchy today:

Error 403: Forbidden.

The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated.

I just have it sitting on a shelf with my other JP stuff... nothing too exciting. A lit base might be nice.

[image]http://home.rochester.rr.com/jaypics/DSCF1033.JPG[/image]

-Jay

<div class='quotetop'>(luke moonwalker @ Jun 25 2006, 12:26 AM) [snapback]1267303[/snapback]</div>
I just have it sitting on a shelf with my other JP stuff... nothing too exciting. A lit base might be nice.

-Jay
[/b]
Jay, that chunk of yours look awefully orangy...It looks like a chunk of orange plastic then an amber chunk. Is that the actual colour of its because of the lighting?

<div class='quotetop'>(SaberFreak @ Jun 24 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]1267306[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(luke moonwalker @ Jun 25 2006, 12:26 AM) [snapback]1267303[/snapback]

-Jay
[/b]
Jay, that chunk of yours look awefully orangy...It looks like a chunk of orange plastic then an amber chunk. Is that the actual colour of its because of the lighting?
[/b][/quote]

That's the actual color. Up close it is a little more transparent, but it definately has an orange tinge to it.

Just found these lighted bases too... might be cool. I'd probably replace the different colored LEDS with all white, but it's still pretty cheap.

Lighted base

-Jay

<div class='quotetop'>(SaberFreak @ Jun 24 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]1267291[/snapback]</div>
I'm waaaay down on the wait list for the chunk, but if I get one I'm gonna mount it on a walking stick just like in the movie. If I have the space and the money I'll make a long glass case with a light on top to display it.
[/b]

No need to mangle up a great amber chunk. ;) Rylo already did a great Hammond cane, he's the same guy that did the Cryocans.

h3898post-244-1116552694o219.jpg

Fantastic displays guy's.

I can attest to some of the amber being more orange than others, as I'm half of the duo supplying them.
This is trial and error folks, we have a recipe, yet sometimes the plastic doesn't play well with others. And it comes out a bit orange. Each one is unique, no 2 bugs are the same, and no 2 chunks have the same polished surface. These come out random, and we like it that way. As with both our cane tops and chunks, they are interpretations, not screen copies. And you are right, no need to mangle an amber chunk, as we supplied Rylo with the cane tops too.

We're pumping out the orders as fast as we can. I hope everyone is enjoying them, Jon.

I like the idea of a lighted display,it would really look cool.
I received my chunk the other day and it looks great...Thanks Jon..
Doug

I have plans on modifying a couple shelves of one of my Detolf cases to allow me to display my Hammond cane. I will have a glass shop cut small corner of probably two shelves and stand the cane in the back corner.

v2209detolfa219.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(Mxlplx @ Jun 25 2006, 07:15 AM) [snapback]1267520[/snapback]</div>
And you are right, no need to mangle an amber chunk, as we supplied Rylo with the cane tops too.[/b]
Is it possible to get a chunk already mounted on the cane like in the pic above? :)

Is that a real bamboo cane or a resin cast or made of wood??

<div class='quotetop'>(SaberFreak @ Jun 24 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]1267583[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Mxlplx @ Jun 25 2006, 07:15 AM) [snapback]1267520[/snapback]
And you are right, no need to mangle an amber chunk, as we supplied Rylo with the cane tops too.[/b]
Is it possible to get a chunk already mounted on the cane like in the pic above? :)

[/b][/quote]

It's a lathe turned wood cane that has been detailed, painted and weathered with a clear coat to protect it. It's a sweet replica. I don't think it was supposed to look like bamboo but rather a stack of dino bones.

Don't know if Rylo's Hammond canes are still available, but, like everything else Rylo makes, they're gorgeous and splendidly detailed.

SurferGeek, I'll be very interested to see how your Detolf mod comes out. I remember the original discussion of this several months ago and thought it was a terrific idea. Ikea has finally opened in Japan and, to my delight, my wife zeroed right in on those Detolf cases and said, "Hey, those would be great for displaying your collection." Please post pics of the cane in your customized Detolf when everything is finished. :)

Hey, Luke... nice hardhat. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(SaberFreak @ Jun 24 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]1267583[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Mxlplx @ Jun 25 2006, 07:15 AM) [snapback]1267520[/snapback]

[/b][/quote]

We can definately provide you with a cane top, but the canes were finished and assembled by Rylo.

Can anybody get some screen caps of the Mr DNA guy and the part where they inserted the needle into the amber chunk to get the DNA.

I kinda like having a screen cap displayed nearby for my slower friends :p

"Why do you have this?....oooooohhhhhhhhh COOL I LOVE THAT MOVIE."

:lol

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ Jun 24 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]1267623[/snapback]</div>
Can anybody get some screen caps of the Mr DNA guy and the part where they inserted the needle into the amber chunk to get the DNA.

I kinda like having a screen cap displayed nearby for my slower friends :p

"Why do you have this?....oooooohhhhhhhhh COOL I LOVE THAT MOVIE."

:lol
[/b]
Here ya go:

jp_mr_dna.jpg

jp_extract.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back