hoverboard build from the uk

who45

well self explanetory really, i have a matty board on order so until that arrives i decided to have a bit of fun, needless to say this bit of fun making a quick and simple board for my mags went a little ott......again.

so what happened.............well the intention was a simple board for my mag display, i did not want to use wood as i didnt want to have the grain visible - even tho that would add to accuracy, so tossing accuracy aside i decided to go as good as i can get with whats available both off the shelf, cheaply and more importantly ease of making.

so the material - i didnt want wood due to the grain, and the sheer weight of 25mm wood was not something i wanted in case at a later date i wanted to sell it on. Also with wood its a pain to get the marty boards angle without making and adding it to a bit of wood.

so 10mm foamex it was, fantastic material, can cut by hand, easy to sand down smoothly and best of all with a heat gun i was able to angle the end of the board.

the graphics were printed on a digital solvent printer where i work onto a self adhesive vinyl and laminated.

so the first board was made for a quick display;
IMGP0076.jpg

IMGP0077.jpg

IMGP0078.jpg

IMGP0067.jpg

IMGP0069.jpg

now at this point the lightbulb went off and whats stopping me make the others............well more 10mm foamex and a jigsaw, sanding down of the edges and we got this:
IMAG0799.jpg

no progress shots on this next stage, so as the edges were sanded smooth out came the plasticote, and painted the relevent boards the colours i needed, then i applied the sickers to the top and bottom of the boards:
IMGP0092.jpg

IMGP0091.jpg

IMGP0085.jpg

nows the part where after a week i decided to add more, getting resin parts proved impossible, even trying to pay legitimatly for wnough bottom parts resulted in no response as the maker didnt want recasting happening - even tho i wanted enough parts to do 5 boards.

whilst scouting the pep files i stumbled over 2 files, pit bull and the marty, i took the relevent printouts of the pep files and once again opted for the foamex....... i hand cut all of this with a scalpel knife to see if my idea would work, with the initial parts cut it looked promising:
IMAG0839.jpg

added some milliput to get the curve i was seeking:
IMAG0844.jpg

IMAG0846.jpg

took the dremel out and used the sanding wheel which was a perfect fit for the arches to be cut out
IMAG0850.jpg

the test fit for the hover section - silver shiney vinyl means once cast i can paint the whole part black and have a nice clean edge on the circle
IMAG0852.jpg

IMAG0853.jpg

the curve sanded
IMAG0856.jpg

and adding the rest of the milliput to get the smoothness on and give that little flare
IMAG0857.jpg

IMAG0858.jpg

IMAG0860.jpg

couple of passess with the hand snading and its certainly getting there
IMAG0863.jpg

a quick primer coat to see the defects
IMAG0864.jpg

IMAG0865.jpg

IMAG0871.jpg

a bit more sanding over the edges and curves
IMAG0873.jpg

and a hit with some filler primer to build it up a little so i can just knock it down
IMAG0885.jpg

IMAG0886.jpg

IMAG0887.jpg

IMAG0888.jpg

IMAG0889.jpg

next update will be soon..... waiting on materials now as i need silicone, resin, and some nice vinyl to recreate the lenticular look - so will update as and when i can

hi, ive been wanting to make one of these for a while. while looking for research I found this. I don't know if its any use to you. its a small interview with Bob Gale and he shows how they made the practicle device to make the hover board appear to float when marty drops it on the ground. he said it was based on a magic trick. its basically just four strong wires screwed to the bottom that act as legs . but because your shooting the board from the top you can't see them . in the videos he also talks about other props from BTTF 2 .

Hollywood Treasure - Bob Gale extended interview Part 1 - YouTube

still awaiting bits, altho one turned up.....

drilled the holes in the bottom bits
IMAG0935.jpg

made the extra side board bit for the other boards:
IMAG0936.jpg

now awaiting rtv so i can make duplicates.

in the meantime this had arrived: some vinyl which i thought would be up for the job
IMAG0938.jpg

whacked it through the vinyl cutter:
IMAG0940.jpg

IMAG0941.jpg

and stuck it to the board, both sides, the light catches this and im chuffed with the look:

IMAG0942.jpg

IMAG0943.jpg

IMAG0944.jpg

IMAG0948.jpg

IMAG0949.jpg

stuck now until the silicone and resin arrives, paints aquired for the parts

bit of a disater today, but in a positive way it was a good thing, the files i used to take my measurements from seemed to be 10% small on the greeblies - i had this thought in my mind since i started - my fault for not trial fitting but hey it enabled me to do a few things:

make the greeblies better - ive changed some angles so that it looks better and its all now the correct size to the board..... the first built of greeblies vs the second (awaiting first primer hit)
IMAG0977.jpg

IMAG0978.jpg

the new built parts awaiting some minor imperfections to sort:
IMAG0983.jpg

IMAG0984.jpg

and test fit positions on the board, much better :)
IMAG0979.jpg

IMAG0980.jpg

IMAG0981.jpg

Ubelievably awesome of an idea. I particularly love the three boards you don't see that often. Nice and light for an awesome wall display too!!

the day came - final prepping of the parts, primer, rub down, filler, rub down.....very little was needed to do, broke open 2 litres of rtv silicone and began the process of making the molds, it also gave me a reason to play with some lego ;)

the mold ready to be poured:
IMAG0986.jpg

mixed the rtv:
IMAG0987.jpg

and poured:
IMAG0990.jpg

IMAG0992.jpg

IMAG0993.jpg

demolded from the lego, and here we have the molds:
IMAG1003.jpg

so without wasting any more time the resin was used: first casts from the molds:
IMAG1004.jpg

IMAG1005.jpg

and all trial placed on the board:
IMAG0995.jpg

IMAG1002.jpg

That is so cool. Who ever came up with the idea to use Lego (or similar building blocks for the mold container) is a genius!

Dude that is incredable and like cavx said the Lego idea is genius now when I try to mould I think I'll try Lego in the future.. But still incredable effort and work so far.. How does the resin hold on the foam board is it not too heavy ??

Chris

very very light, it will sinly glue on, or a small screw to keep it there, the magnet part would use way to much resin if i were to do it as a solid, so i rotocasted the circle, then put a saucepan lid on the mold and put a ring of resin so it gives a glueable lip :):)

problem with leg in the shops is its price for what you get, even on ebay its expensive for a large amount. the bigger blocks were a pound a pack from a poundshop or lidls........ and did a better job.

lego does leak, but the duplo style bricks didnt

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back