hoverboard build from the uk

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by who45, Apr 9, 2012.

1. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

well self explanetory really, i have a matty board on order so until that arrives i decided to have a bit of fun, needless to say this bit of fun making a quick and simple board for my mags went a little ott......again.

so what happened.............well the intention was a simple board for my mag display, i did not want to use wood as i didnt want to have the grain visible - even tho that would add to accuracy, so tossing accuracy aside i decided to go as good as i can get with whats available both off the shelf, cheaply and more importantly ease of making.

so the material - i didnt want wood due to the grain, and the sheer weight of 25mm wood was not something i wanted in case at a later date i wanted to sell it on. Also with wood its a pain to get the marty boards angle without making and adding it to a bit of wood.

so 10mm foamex it was, fantastic material, can cut by hand, easy to sand down smoothly and best of all with a heat gun i was able to angle the end of the board.

the graphics were printed on a digital solvent printer where i work onto a self adhesive vinyl and laminated.

so the first board was made for a quick display;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now at this point the lightbulb went off and whats stopping me make the others............well more 10mm foamex and a jigsaw, sanding down of the edges and we got this:
    [​IMG]

no progress shots on this next stage, so as the edges were sanded smooth out came the plasticote, and painted the relevent boards the colours i needed, then i applied the sickers to the top and bottom of the boards:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nows the part where after a week i decided to add more, getting resin parts proved impossible, even trying to pay legitimatly for wnough bottom parts resulted in no response as the maker didnt want recasting happening - even tho i wanted enough parts to do 5 boards.

whilst scouting the pep files i stumbled over 2 files, pit bull and the marty, i took the relevent printouts of the pep files and once again opted for the foamex....... i hand cut all of this with a scalpel knife to see if my idea would work, with the initial parts cut it looked promising:
    [​IMG]

added some milliput to get the curve i was seeking:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

took the dremel out and used the sanding wheel which was a perfect fit for the arches to be cut out
    [​IMG]

the test fit for the hover section - silver shiney vinyl means once cast i can paint the whole part black and have a nice clean edge on the circle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the curve sanded
    [​IMG]

and adding the rest of the milliput to get the smoothness on and give that little flare
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

couple of passess with the hand snading and its certainly getting there
    [​IMG]

a quick primer coat to see the defects
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a bit more sanding over the edges and curves
    [​IMG]

and a hit with some filler primer to build it up a little so i can just knock it down
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

next update will be soon..... waiting on materials now as i need silicone, resin, and some nice vinyl to recreate the lenticular look - so will update as and when i can

2. carl9149

carl9149 Well-Known Member

Well they just look stunning, very nice work pal. Looks great!!

3. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The colours and contrast on all those boards is astonishing :eek

Quality :cool :thumbsup

4. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Just like Alan said, wow - those colours really pop. They are going to make one fantastic display :thumbsup

5. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

awesome work!! congratulations

6. strengthof10men

strengthof10men Active Member

hi, ive been wanting to make one of these for a while. while looking for research I found this. I don't know if its any use to you. its a small interview with Bob Gale and he shows how they made the practicle device to make the hover board appear to float when marty drops it on the ground. he said it was based on a magic trick. its basically just four strong wires screwed to the bottom that act as legs . but because your shooting the board from the top you can't see them . in the videos he also talks about other props from BTTF 2 .

Hollywood Treasure - Bob Gale extended interview Part 1 - YouTube

7. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

nice link - thats probably the most interesting bob gale bttf thing ive seen

8. RJA

RJA Member

Very nice job. You have quite a skill there.

9. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

still awaiting bits, altho one turned up.....

drilled the holes in the bottom bits
    [​IMG]

made the extra side board bit for the other boards:
    [​IMG]

now awaiting rtv so i can make duplicates.

in the meantime this had arrived: some vinyl which i thought would be up for the job
    [​IMG]

whacked it through the vinyl cutter:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and stuck it to the board, both sides, the light catches this and im chuffed with the look:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stuck now until the silicone and resin arrives, paints aquired for the parts

10. Chris27989

Would u be intrested in selling a kit form of the Hoverboard?

11. Spengler28

Spengler28 Active Member

Woah way better than Matty Board:p

12. steveo3002

steveo3002 Well-Known Member

id be intrested if you decided to sell a decal kit

13. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Very cool! Love the look!

14. Igniitus

Igniitus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Same question

15. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

bit of a disater today, but in a positive way it was a good thing, the files i used to take my measurements from seemed to be 10% small on the greeblies - i had this thought in my mind since i started - my fault for not trial fitting but hey it enabled me to do a few things:

make the greeblies better - ive changed some angles so that it looks better and its all now the correct size to the board..... the first built of greeblies vs the second (awaiting first primer hit)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the new built parts awaiting some minor imperfections to sort:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and test fit positions on the board, much better :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

Ubelievably awesome of an idea. I particularly love the three boards you don't see that often. Nice and light for an awesome wall display too!!

17. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

the day came - final prepping of the parts, primer, rub down, filler, rub down.....very little was needed to do, broke open 2 litres of rtv silicone and began the process of making the molds, it also gave me a reason to play with some lego ;)

the mold ready to be poured:
    [​IMG]

mixed the rtv:
    [​IMG]

and poured:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

demolded from the lego, and here we have the molds:
    [​IMG]

so without wasting any more time the resin was used: first casts from the molds:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and all trial placed on the board:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is so cool. Who ever came up with the idea to use Lego (or similar building blocks for the mold container) is a genius!

19. Chris27989

Dude that is incredable and like cavx said the Lego idea is genius now when I try to mould I think I'll try Lego in the future.. But still incredable effort and work so far.. How does the resin hold on the foam board is it not too heavy ??

Chris

20. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

very very light, it will sinly glue on, or a small screw to keep it there, the magnet part would use way to much resin if i were to do it as a solid, so i rotocasted the circle, then put a saucepan lid on the mold and put a ring of resin so it gives a glueable lip :):)

problem with leg in the shops is its price for what you get, even on ebay its expensive for a large amount. the bigger blocks were a pound a pack from a poundshop or lidls........ and did a better job.

lego does leak, but the duplo style bricks didnt

21. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

today was paint day: the task to paint up the 1st casts:

opted for the hi build primer in case of any minor flaws, seems i may as well just gone for the normal primer as there isnt anything on the surface causing a problem, so cleaned down the resin of its oils, gave it a little sand to the underside of the parts to keep it all flat:

so primered up:
    [​IMG]

next step paint choice - i was seeking a red theat wasnt bright, yet had a brown tinge to it, hard ask so i opted for ford radient red: hard to see in the pics but there is more burgandy with the naked eye, satin black for the magnets, and lavender plasticote for the purple centre bit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

decided to roughly put the bits in order, added the adhesive silver circles, the vinyl im using is a silver with a metallic look to it so it gives off a nice reflection without lamination:
    [​IMG]

and when dryer i positioned all the bits butted up:
    [​IMG]

and showing the thicknesess of the parts:
    [​IMG]

casting will commence again tomorrow for some more parts, will need some more resin to do them all and more paint for the other boards.

final pic of the current build status showing all the reflections:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  22. Chris27989

Superb effort yet again..
    Have you still stuck with foam body of the board or have/ are you going to re worked it with wood??

Thanks for the awesome update

23. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

im keeping the foam, i dont have the tooling to do this in wood and get thefinish i would be happy with, esp as making 5 boards in wood would be very time consuming. if i had someone with cnc machinery then that would help.

24. Chris27989

I know what you mean and uk customs would kindly add a huge customs tax if you got it done through a US rpfer

I do know lurtz100 on here a fellow uk member used a uk based CNC company to make a couple of statue bases might be worth dropping him a PM

25. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

i dont want to be paying for set up and cnc ing to be honest - someone would have to create the artwork ready for a machine to cut - times that by 5 boards and its money i dont wish to spend. i know hoverboard.org has 3 of the 5 boards ready to go, but lack of interest meant 2 of the boards simply never made it despite him prototyping rising sun and no tech boards.

customs is hit and miss - in the 4 times i have been caught i have also got away with it 4 times ;)

26. Chris27989

Yeh as many posts I've read before have mentioned people are normally only intrested in Marty mcflys board! So Sadly the other boards don't get a look it.. Thanks for the lead on the mags I've sent a pm to the chap!!
    I've missed customs a few times on smaller items but anything from a bust up the tax on so i try to keep an eye out for items in the uk like the mags so I don't get a customs charge :)

27. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

no tech casts made and painted
    [​IMG]

both marty and no tech
    [​IMG]

rising sun painted too:
    [​IMG]

28. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

decided after work id bond the bottom bits on, 2 bits still to paint on the rising sun board before i stick them on, but the bottom of 3 boards is about done, just the screws to be added, then work will commence on more casting next month
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. outatime25

outatime25 New Member

Great Scott those are totally awesome!! Looks like you put in a lot of time into them and looks like it was worth it! Great job!!!

30. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

saturday is here, decided to go out and buy some bits from the local craft shop.

from work some 5mm foamex to cut to 170mm circles, i want a certain look to the foot pad sections as i dont want to paint them, from looking at pics online i feel i have acheived something similar that im very happy with, also got some black webbing, and some bits and bobs i did a swap with (many thanks .... you know whom you are)

so todays progress:

the 5mm foamex hand cut and sanded:
    [​IMG]

the foam from the craft shop:
    [​IMG]

started with the rising sun board first, the foam comes with a peel away adhesive which was ideal, so stuck and trimmed:
    [​IMG]

the material to use as the foot belt:
    [​IMG]

2 slits cut through the foamex - this is to push through the slit so it holds in place:
    [​IMG]

and a bit of double sided tape to give it the shape i want:
    [​IMG]

finished:
    [​IMG]

the same process with the no tech and the marty parts, i sprayed the edges the relevent colours to take the edge off the white edge, plasticote paint - i love it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and foamed:
    [​IMG]

and placed on the board:
    [​IMG]

time to sort the marty one now:
    [​IMG]

and 2 colours of green foam, i decided to cut the lighter green into 25mm strips so it had some texture to it:
    [​IMG]

marked the slits - careful not to stick the masking tape too well as it pulls off a layer of the foam:
    [​IMG]

to give it some shape i used the leftover bit of red webbing material and spray glued it to the fluffy pink, here it is in position:
    [​IMG]

also finished off the board with the grey edge sections:
    [​IMG]

so thats 2 boards now finished, decided to take some hi res images, i will continue with the question mark board and the pitbul soon. while i had the camera out i brought out my mags too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

glad i used 10mm foamex as a base board, these things have nearly doubled in weight giving a fantastic feel to them in your hand now, a few have pm'd me regarding kits - if there is sufficient interest i will, but the 100% interest has to be there.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  31. Chris27989

awesome result welldone superb effort!!

32. falconNL

falconNL Active Member

absolutely stunning! Great work and kudos!

33. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

while i await a better resin (polytek gave me grief on this project) it was time to tackle the one board i have neglected to build up......pitbull.

so on with the story:
    made the foot rests - opted once again for the foam as it gave the greyish black without needing to use paint - wet and dry would have been my original choice but not in terms of finish:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now the pain - the engines, tubing and piping was the best option, but locating suitable parts that fitted each other was a nightmare - eventually after 5 shops i found suitable parts to recreate them. the plan was to make one and mold it - but the cost to do that outwieghed the cost to make it.

so with the choice to make them both the cost was 25 pounds, 15 mins with a dremel and all the parts lined up with each other, milliput being the key for the little angles i wanted, so armed with a pepped file i went on the hunt:
    [​IMG]

in the meantime some trim items were made:
    [​IMG]

the webbing was lined up:
    [​IMG]

and positioned on the board and then painted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

found the pipe that i figured i could bodge to make a suitable engine:
    [​IMG]

joined up and with the pep file - close enough for me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

made the bar to support the engines:
    [​IMG]

assembly begins:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and trial fitted all the parts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

armed with gorilla glue, milliput and some misting water the relevent bits are glued:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the first sanding back was completed - all looking nice:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and hit with some hi build after sanding:
    [​IMG]

paint time - one of my fav plasticote colours........pewter, it gives a nice metal look to it esp on a basecoat of black:
    [​IMG]

in the daylight:
    [​IMG]

rear engine parts in primer:
    [​IMG]

all the push in engine parts painted:
    [​IMG]

34. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

the engine section all sanded and primed, pretty much no problems on the prep:
    [​IMG]

base coat of matt black to pull out the pewter colour (if i dont do this over black it comes out more silvery)
    [​IMG]

pewter colour added, some minor detail bits to put on the jets but essentially there done:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

took my bargin ali sheet and proceeded to mark it up for cutting:
    [​IMG]

put the bend it thanks to a closed door, dremel to trim it down.....job done for the shields:
    [​IMG]

and the build process roughly assembled to check the parts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  35. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW! That Pit bull is such a clean build. Love it!

36. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

update again..... been a few weekd since i built anything......mainly as the resin i had so far was constantly weeping, major headache and the supplier said occasionally they get a batch with weeps. this put me off the product totally and he suggested a resin which didnt have the weeping issue.

so it was ordered last week and it arrived, immediately i cast all the remaining parts for the last 2 boards:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now for the test - does this stuff weep - well just like the product states ...no weep. All the remaining resin parts primed and painted up:
    [​IMG]

pitbull top, and question mark board bottom:
    [​IMG]

question mark board first, the footpad:
    [​IMG]

and parts glued on:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now the one i been gagging to do, pitbull board so first up the footpad and the front strap section fitted:
    [​IMG]

and the bottom components fitted:
    [​IMG]

heat shields put togeather:
    [​IMG]

engine section glueing, went with gorilla glue on this build:
    [​IMG]

so all the bottom and top board parts are on:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now theres one detail to do, the front straps need to look like it has some sort of strap and cable. a user on her was kind enough to give me some resin greeblies to which i dremeled the bejesus out of them to get the shape i required, a quick trip to the local diy shops to get some 6mm rod and 5mm rod, some bootlaces.

after the parts were dremeled into circles, sanded down alot the 6mm rod was cut and the 5mm also cut so i had a way to fit it to the board with a peg system, bootlaces wrapped around and attached to the straps...

and bingo that last job done:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the footpad is the same colour as the lower one - i have terrible pight in the house, so thats it - all the hoverboards are finished, time now to finish off the colonial marine with a couple of bits, no new projects in mind as of yet so feet up time

37. madmanmoe64

madmanmoe64 Well-Known Member

Weeping?

I ordered a load of polytek resin from MBfibreglass and had no problems with it. I was going to order more for a run I'm doing.

What product number were you using?

What / where did you buy instead?

, thanks

38. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

polytek 60 - steve i think it was at mb spoke to me and he said it happens about once every 9 months - so he recommended polytek sg2000 - have to say it was thicker (almost man juice consistancy if im having to campare it to something) , but i prefered it to work with

39. madmanmoe64

madmanmoe64 Well-Known Member

okay good, I've been using the polytek sg2000 simply because their website said it was better if I intended to paint it (when are you not?)

,ty

40. Solochaser

Solochaser Well-Known Member

These are fantastic!

41. DrEmmetBrown

DrEmmetBrown New Member

Astoundng work man! May i ask where the best place to have the decals printed would be? I assume that a staples or place of that nature would not have printers big enough.

42. Benjamoose

Benjamoose Member

Very impressive stuff!

I think my only criticism would be the holographic material used on the Marty hoverboard.
    Usually I wouldn't mind, but it seems such a shame to have created such an impressive set of replicas with wonderful attention to detail, with such a clean professional look, only to cheat a little on the main board.

Other than that they all look amazing.

Do the footpads rotate or are they just glued straight onto the board? If not, that could be a fun challenge for the future!

43. 1junglist

1junglist New Member

Wow your hover boards look fantastic :) where did you get your board decals from? and where can i purchase them from? cheers bro