Horizon Jurassic Park Velociraptor

Simon Prime

This is my build of Horizon's 1/5 scale vinyl Jurassic Park Velociraptor. This kit is about 20 years old now and was mastered from the study maquette sculpted at Stan Winston Studio.

I did the usual vinyl kit stuff and added a threaded steel rod to the leg to allow it to be screwed to the base. I also added glass eyes, available from taxidermy suppliers, for a little extra wow. Paints used were Tamiya spray primer and Tamiya, Gunze and Citadel Acrylics.
Raptor 02.jpgRaptor.jpg

Too big to fit in my lightbox.
Raptor 01.jpg

Cheers

Excellent work; as good or beter than the film versions. Would fit right in with the high-end collectibles window at the JP ride store at Universal Studios.

I've always regretted not getting this kit back in the day...

One of the most gorgeous kits and build-ups out there. Excellent work. All the Horizon kits were made from Stan Winston maquettes, and are the next best thing to having an original prop from the movie! I also have the raptor, and is the pride of my collection.

Fantastic build up. It makes me sad that the upcoming Jurassic World will probably be disappointing compared to the original JP.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I missed these kits when they were first released, but have managed to track down the Raptor and T-Rex.

I think the clear coat might have been Tamiya Clear Flat spray. I may be wrong.

Perfect job Simon! I like the glass eyes.

BTW, what type of glue did you use to put it together?

What size eyes did you get and where did you get them?

Mike.

Last edited:
Fantastic work!
I have a recast version of this kit, which is still really good quality. Like you, I also fitted thick stainless steel rod with threaded ends in the legs and i used a thinner stainless rod for the tail and arms and thinner still for all the fingers. I then filled the whole thing bit by bit with polyurethane resin. Its rock solid now.
I molded the teeth and mouth interior and cast them in resin and got the same eyes as you have.
When i get around to finishing it, i hope the paint job looks as good as yours.
How did you paint the dark stripes, just free hand airbrushing?

Keith.

Fantastic work!
I have a recast version of this kit, which is still really good quality. Like you, I also fitted thick stainless steel rod with threaded ends in the legs and i used a thinner stainless rod for the tail and arms and thinner still for all the fingers. I then filled the whole thing bit by bit with polyurethane resin. Its rock solid now.
I molded the teeth and mouth interior and cast them in resin and got the same eyes as you have.
When i get around to finishing it, i hope the paint job looks as good as yours.
How did you paint the dark stripes, just free hand airbrushing?

Keith.

Is your re-cast one that you got from E-Bay?

Do you have a build thread or some pictures of your kit?

Mike.

I don't have a build thread, but yes, i got it off ebay. I think the dealer was called models mountain.

Keith.

Hi Keith,

I didn't go quite that far, just filled the legs with plaster (wishing I'd used epoxy now) and the body and tail with polyurethane foam.

Whole thing was airbrushed, including the stripes. The biggest challenge was getting both sides to match up. Having a mirror on the workbench so that you can keep an eye on the side you aren't painting is a big help.

S

Hi Crowe,

Couldn't tell you what size eyes you'd need for the Rex. I didn't fit glass eyes to mine, although I wish I had now.

The eye size I used in my Horizon T-Rex model, was an inexpensive pair of 5ᵐᵐ or 6ᵐᵐ pale yellow glass eyes. I believe I got them from Van Dyke's at the time, but you can order them directly from Tohickon Glass Eyes. https://www.tohickonglasseyes.com/home.asp

The eyes were installed from the rear side of the head. The socket was drilled out and shaped using a Dremel Motor Tool, and when the eyes set well, Ave's sculpting epoxy was used to hold them in place. This one was built in 1993, right after I saw the movie!
D5100 T-Rex Model 086-A.jpgD5100 T-Rex Model 087.JPG

These eyes are flat backed, without wires ...
https://www.tohickonglasseyes.com/shopproductdetail.asp?prodID=53&catID=1
pic53-option4-value93.jpg

pic53-addpic-133.jpg

These are the eyes on wires. These handle a bit easier because of the wires.
https://www.tohickonglasseyes.com/shopproductdetail.asp?prodID=49&catID=1
pic49-option4-value93.jpg

pic49-addpic-87.jpg

For Velociraptors with slit pupils - as seen in the movie - they sell Reptile and Amphibian eyes that are second to none! https://www.tohickonglasseyes.com/shopproductdetail.asp?prodID=32&catID=16
This is a Leopard Frog eye ...
pic32-option8-value117.jpg

Hope this helps!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back