hook

Discussion in 'Free Replica Paper Props' started by Darkside, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm looking into free FTP servers unless someone else has a better idea. I'd e-mail them but I don't want to be smothered in having to send a tonne of emails all the time...

2. Hookmovie

Hookmovie New Member

Send me the file. I can post the hi res version from my ftp if you want.

3. amityshark

amityshark Member

Re: Kindest Personal Regards...

I believe so. Let me check tonight. I'll let you guys know.

4. amityshark

amityshark Member

5. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

updates???:lol

6. Michael Bergeron

She's there now. :)

Nice high resolution and tabloid size.

7. GiveMeSomeProps

GiveMeSomeProps New Member

thanks Orange Blend!

8. amityshark

amityshark Member

Awesome! Thank you!

9. Moviefreak

Thank you!!!!!!!!

10. amityshark

amityshark Member

I finally got a chance to download it. It looks perfect! I assume the PDF file has a transparent background so it will only print the writing and not the white background? I haven't tried printing yet. I am going to order the correct paper. Thanks again for your hard work Orange Blend! We all appreciate it.

11. Michael Bergeron

I'm not sure how PDF encodes it but the BG in my original Illustrator file is indeed transparent. I'm 99% sure that the PDF retains this.

12. amityshark

amityshark Member

I opened it up in CS4 and it's perfect. I have aged up my textured heavy weight watercolor paper with coffee tea and bleach and I'm headed to kinkos later tonight. I'll post pictures when it's done. Thanks again.

13. GiveMeSomeProps

amityshark that's exactally what I did to mine except staples told menim not allowed back to do it again cuz I jamed thei printer 2 times lol. They said the paper was too thick... I used 140 weight. Next tome I will use 100 weight which is more transparent ( more accurate to the movie)

Anyways looking forward to seeing your pics.

I'll post pics of my hook dagger WIP later this week

14. amityshark

amityshark Member

Yeah I called Kinkos ahead of time and they said it was cool and that they had printed on thick paper before. Hopefully it wont be a problem. By the way I talked to the owner of The Sand and Stone (the guy who made Hoffman's hook and the ransom dagger for the film) and he quoted me about $1800 for each piece. I may have to pay them a visit. :rolleyes They do sell movie replicas to collectors occasionally depending on the movie. Super nice guy. They are in Burbank CA He told me right now they are working on stuff for POTC 4:eek

15. GiveMeSomeProps

tony? yea i have a friend that knows him personally, when i called 2 weeks ago he quoted me $2000 for a replica dagger and about $1800 for the hook, he said he was making 10 hooks at the moment to do something with but offered me one. i decided to make my own, to expensive... here is a rough picture of my dagger, still have a little work to do before i cast it on friday when i get my smooth on. ill start my own WIP thread this weekend

[​IMG]

framed likes this.
  16. amityshark

amityshark Member

Looking good! Can't wait to see it finished!

17. Trap Joe

Trap Joe Sr Member

very cool!!!

18. Michael Bergeron

Was asked to re-link this by a member. Enjoy. :)

View attachment Hook Letter Export.jpg

It's not the PDF. It's still too big for the site. However this JPG is still massive and now it should live here forever. :thumbsup

jackdoud and Funboy333 like this.
  19. TomVDJ

TomVDJ Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The member thanks you ;-) Looks great and will be a nice addition for Sarednab's Hook replica... I might have missed it in this thread, but how big should the note be? Is the image the correct scale?

20. rorschach999

rorschach999 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

thanks dude for sharing

21. Michael Bergeron

I'm not sure if a final consensus was come to but the image is tabloid size (11x17). I imagine the final piece should be about 11x15 so print it out on tabloid and then cut an inch of both the top and bottom. That makes is "Folio" size which makes sense in the context.

22. Vince

Vince Active Member

Sorry to raise this thread from the grave, but I was wondering if anyone is or was doing a run of the ransom note? I've tried to contact GiveMeSomeProps but I see he hasn't been active here since 2011. Anyone know how to get a hold of him, or if anyone else is offering a high quality note for sale?

Thanks,

-Vince

23. Moviefreak

Hitting you with a PM.......
    I have one I just made for you free of charge :)

Michael Bergeron likes this.
  24. Michael Bergeron

Awesome of you MF. :thumbsup

Vince, no one made a run because it's considered poor form to take something from the free paper props section and sell it (happens all the time on ebay though :thumbsdown ). I never did a run myself because I figured it would be simple enough to print & age at home as a starter paper prop. :)

For the record though, if anyone would like to offer a printing/ageing service with this document I don't really mind as long as it's very clear that the original file is available here for free with a link.

25. Moviefreak

It is free here after all :lol
    I know some don't have time or knowledge of making a good print and aging it,
    So it is the least I can do :)

26. Greeky04

Greeky04 Well-Known Member

Moviefreak would you be able to PM me a ransom note also?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  27. Moviefreak

:lol you can't PM them :lol
    I had made one for someone and made an extra back up that I am giving to the person who I told to PM me. Don't have any more handy...
    Sorry.

28. Greeky04

Greeky04 Well-Known Member

Haha good form sir. All good

29. Michael Bergeron

However the method here is really easy. Print one out at your local print shop and then experiment with aging techniques. :)

Paper props 101! :thumbsup

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

30. gogoyubari

gogoyubari New Member

Hello, the Dropbox account that this PDF is located in needs a password change in order to access. Can someone help with the password change or send me a copy of the PDF?

Thanks for the help!

31. Moviefreak

Just curious if someone is now printing your file and selling it on the RPF Facebook page?
    IMG_9362.PNG

32. Michael Bergeron

Totally is. Call 'em out! (I would, but I'm not a member)

33. TomVDJ

Did you put some tells in your file to confirm it's your file he's using? Your file is so * screen accurate that, if someone else is also creating a screen accurate version, both would be very, very similar.

I made a quick overly of your file on the picture, and with some repositioning of the words, I come to this result:

Image1.jpg

Could be your file, but with some tells, we could be certain...

34. Ramsey

Ramsey Well-Known Member

Here's one I made a few years back...
    Hook-Ransom-Note-1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  35. Moviefreak

Well he said he did it by hand so perhaps he did....
    IMG_9365.PNG

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  36. TomVDJ

If it's done from a sketch he made LOOKING at the movie, than his letter spacing is so close to Michaels version, that he has to have one hell of a sharp eye. If he did id based on a screencap, as Michael did, than it's more logical that they are almost identical.

Don't know what to think, to be honest. I would not claim that he stile Michaels work without more proof, though. People tackle the same prop, sometimes, and if both attempts are very close to the original, than it's also logical that they are almist identital to each other. But I'm happy with my ransome not I made from Michaels file (althoug I'll give it another try with another type of paper in the future). So thanks again for that, Michael!

37. Michael Bergeron

Well, looks identical to me. No, there are no tells, but the texture in the D would probably give it away if we got a close up look. I find it hard to believe that he made that D so perfect with a sharpie.

Honestly though, if it takes 4 hours as he's claiming why in the hell would he only be charging $30?

Whatever.

38. TomVDJ

Maybe if we find someone who actually bought one of these, and can provide us with a scan, this could clear up things. If an overlay matches perfectly in that case, chances are pretty big that he used your file...

39. Michael Bergeron

Not sure I really care that much. Made it 7 years ago for people to enjoy, just rubs me the wrong way if it is a copy.

40. EmmaInCandyland

EmmaInCandyland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I finally worked on a paper and printed the design on it! That will make a nice little addition to the family!!

49792243_2554049034610398_2258859099242364928_n.jpg

41. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Very nice... Did you use A-format paper? I guess they also used US sized paper in the movie...

42. EmmaInCandyland

EmmaInCandyland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's A4 so I'd imagine a little bit smaller than the prop itself, but did with what I had in hand!

Brigandia36 likes this.