Hook (1991) Rufio Sword Replication: Lots of Large pics of the SCREEN USED Sword!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Mooniteman, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Mooniteman

Mooniteman Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

Been real busy, and too long since I've posted anything.... anyway:

Did an interview for a show im developing this past summer with Dante Basco who played Rufio in Hook. (Here's the promo for the show)

He was kind enough to let us film and handle the Screen Used sword from the film, and I both wanted to share the pics and get some advice on replicating this elusive sucker !

Basically I want to take a crack at replicating this fairly simple piece for a costume and I would love some input - specifically on that blade.

I've seen some replications on here, but I hope with these pics we can get something even more exact.

What little I know:

• This is the sword that he used to draw the line in the dirt
    • The sucker was heavy
    • And smaller than it appears on screen
    • Whatever was used to make the blade shiny was chipping off

This sword has always been an elusive bit of prop history - so I of course had to get lots of B-Roll of it. Here's some pics of the prop - hopefully they will give us a better idea of the size, details and materials that were used for us Hook fans !

-AJ

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. Chris Fields

Chris Fields Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome, yeah, I made one for a friend who is a member on here some time back. The blade I made was solid bronze. It gave the right look, but it was a bit too thick. Now that I am seeing these close up pics, I would of done the guard and grip a bit different as well. I did use a real coconut for the guard though :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mooniteman

wow ! well how expensive is it to do it out of bronze ?

4. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool! I own one of the stunt and one of the stab swords used.

[​IMG]

5. Mooniteman

Those are awesome EO! I remember you posting that a while back - so cool!

-AJ

6. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

Awesome stuff, AJ!!

Can you tell us anything about the construction? It looks like the "coconut" is very crudely lined with leather. It also looks like the leather covering on the grip is possibly just glued on, and not stitched together. The shots with the dvd case will make this very easy to scale the correct size.

7. Mooniteman

Didn't get much time to look at he construction - too preoccupied with the interview. It was definitely leather, not sure if it was stitched or not - hard to tell. There might be evidence of it in one of the pics or vids i got - would have to really dig.

Not sure what the hell the pommel was made from - looked like layered bark - was really odd and was flaking off after all these years. Do coconuts do that ?

8. Adam C.

Adam C. Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the close-up pics man! They look great! Here's a site with some pretty good screencaps in case anyone is interested. Hook (1991) | DisneyScreencaps.com

9. Mooniteman

No prob Adam ! Thanks for the screen caps !

10. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Lovely pics all ! Thanks for sharing :)

As a side-line, looks like Rufio hasn't aged at all in 20 + years ! There could be a Hook II, & he could step right back into the role !

11. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

except, you know, he, like, died?

12. Alan Castillo

It's a children's fiction tale. ANYTHING could be made to happen.

Like, you see :lol

13. Alan Castillo

And since it's Hollywood, it could well be a prequel too :lol

14. davidJurassic

davidJurassic Active Member

Amazing AJ - keep on doing amazing roving reporting - we're getting spoilt!!

15. Alan Castillo

AJ, I clicked on the link in your 1st post. I didn't realise it was a video (just the same pics you posted).

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks he looks exactly the same !

Very well made clip too (y)thumbsup

16. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Chris Fields

bronze wasn't too expensive and made a durable prop. If I make one again, I'll definitely work to get the guard and grip more screen accurate. At the time I made that, we didn't have nearly as many good pics of the blade.

18. Mooniteman

Where and how does one craft a piece of bronze into that ? I know thats a big question, but my tools basically boil down to a dremmel and elbow grease. Is there a place that you can get the bronze from ?

Heck - if your in the L.A. area.... and feel like taking a crack at another.... just sayin.

-AJ

19. Mooniteman

Thanks ! And yeah - in the out takes and the show I comment way too much on how young he looks - he really does look the same, and one of the chillest dudes I've ever met to boot.

20. Chris Fields

I'm over in Florida. I make blades on the side as a hobby, so making a bronze blade wasn't too difficult for me. With the tools you mentioned, it could be really difficult to make a nice blade, but it may be easy to make a reasonable prop that is close enough. With a dremmel, you may want to use brass instead of bronze, and easy to find. You can get a plate from homedepot or lowes and cut a blade shape out. many ways to do it. :)

21. Mooniteman

Well if you'd be willing to take a commission - let me know ! I want to get the measurements hammered away - then I'll be working on this asap !

-AJ

22. Mooniteman

Hey - anyone wants to take a crack at scaling this thing - by all means! I wish I had thought to measure it at the time... *

-AJ

23. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

A very quick and crude scaling gave me a total length of 695.25 mm (27.37") and a blade width of 25.466 mm (1.002"). Assuming the blade is in fact 1" wide, we could say the total length is right around 27 1/4" - 27 3/8".

What do you think, AJ?

24. Mooniteman

I think it's 1.5 inches in width or one and a quarter - 1 seems too small and I've yet to hammer out the length yet... tempted to just ask Mr.Basco, but unless I had a serious Blacksmith or something that wanted to replicate this - I would be hesitant to take advantage of his kindness.

25. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

1" does seem a little thin to me as well. I'm hoping my scaling is not that far off, but I've been wrong before. It couldn't hurt to ask, assuming he'd be willing to share.

I have friends that can do gold electroplating at their work, but I'm also looking into bronze since cost is an issue at the moment. I've had a barren space on my wall just waiting for a Pan sword for too long.

26. Mooniteman

Hey guys - quick update - gonna look through some video footage of the sword for some more angles and gonna try to see if I can scale it.

27. Mooniteman

...bump!

28. the first German

the first German New Member

Wow, I havn`t seen this sword for a long time bust remembered it instantly. :)
    It`s a cool thing in a Peter Pan collection. :)

29. DeadRinger

DeadRinger Member

Maybe captainEO will re-weigh in On this thread with the dimensions for his stunt sword. The diameter of the hand guard and the blade length/width/thickness would be particularly helpful

30. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Really, I've heard that the original actor died, but this guy looks like him... wow... I was a little bit confused when I saw the pics...

Very cool sword, give that man a Rufio costume.... :lol

Rufio! Rufio! Ru-fi-oooooooooo! :)

31. Chris Fields

Not the actor, the character died .. I think that was what he was refering too. (I read it that way the first time as well though)

Btw, I'm definitly willing to make a few more of these if we can get some better dimensions. The first one I made was all based on guesses.

32. Mooniteman

Yeah Dante is alive and kicking, he apparently gets that a lot that he "died" - an odd rumor.

And I'll see what I can do about getting some reliable dimensions - I've gotta hammer some other projects and things away before I can make a real commitment to accurately sizing this thing - but i wont leave you guys hanging too long !

-AJ

33. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Why is that so?!? When we talked about the Hook movie, it's always "Hey, you know the actor who played Rufio is already dead..."

So, he's alive? Why that rumor is still alive?!?

The character died, yeah, I saw the movie... :) So, to make it clear: This is the original actor who played Rufio in the Hook movie?!? :wacko

34. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

Yes it is. Alive and well.

35. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Good to know... That explains why he looks exactly like Rufio... ^^

36. Mooniteman

Anyone got any ideas for making the blade ? Something rather inexpensive - bu not wood - something metal, but nothing that costs more than like $60

37. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

Aluminum and spray paint or gold leafing/foil or electroplating?

38. Mooniteman

what form of aluminum - you reckon ? Like from what kind of source would one craft this ?

39. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

A local metal yard would probably be cheapest, but I've seen aluminum stock (and used it to make a Highlander katana years ago), at Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware, whichever is closest to you. It would probably work perfectly for this.

40. RyanConsell

RyanConsell New Member

I'm making one right now and expect less than $30 in materials. I'll post pics when I'm done. Thanks so much for the pics Mooniteman.

41. RyanConsell

RyanConsell New Member

I made this out of 3/16x1 1/4 mild steel bar. The guard is a coconut. the grip is just a wooden dowel sliced in half and wrapped in leather. Super cheap materials and pretty easy to make.

IMG_20140217_153828[1].jpg IMG_20140217_153841[1].jpg IMG_20140217_153956[1].jpg

Attached Files:

42. ultraman

ultraman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i'm gonna take a stab here and say if you want the hand guard to look more screen accurate....it looks like they used dried palm leaves hot glued on top of the coconut shell and then used walnut stain on top of that. dry-palm-leaves-13870081.jpg

43. RyanConsell

RyanConsell New Member

Met Dante Basco last weekend, got the sword signed. He said it was pretty close. He said it was a bit longer and heavier than his at 32", but there were several versions of the sword and they weren't all the same size.

Also, this!

IMG_20140224_212228.jpg

44. framed

framed Well-Known Member

I made this pan sword 2 years ago for my doughter.
    its out of brass i wrapped the coconut in leather also last year. 10010314_10203840155950100_4647127517756163458_o.jpg

Simpson77 likes this.
  45. Ash

Ash Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Going to follow this to keep getting ideas. My friend owns a bar here in town called Rogues Gallery and is known around as Rufio. Every Monday night his "service industry night" is called "Bang-a-Rang" (not particularly "Hook" themed) I've been looking to grab or make a replica for him to hang in the bar for quite sometime. RyanConsell or Framed, you have any D.I.Y. steps for those swords? Tools required and price points off hand? Framed, especially that box man, I'd have to present it in that for sure.

-Ash

46. Mooniteman

This is perfect! Have you got any more pics??

47. framed

framed Well-Known Member

Thanks! yes but i have to make some.