Hook (1991) Rufio Sword Replication: Lots of Large pics of the SCREEN USED Sword!

AJLoCascio

Sr Member
Hey guys!

Been real busy, and too long since I've posted anything.... anyway:

Did an interview for a show im developing this past summer with Dante Basco who played Rufio in Hook. (Here's the promo for the show)

He was kind enough to let us film and handle the Screen Used sword from the film, and I both wanted to share the pics and get some advice on replicating this elusive sucker !

Basically I want to take a crack at replicating this fairly simple piece for a costume and I would love some input - specifically on that blade.

I've seen some replications on here, but I hope with these pics we can get something even more exact.

What little I know:

• This is the sword that he used to draw the line in the dirt
  • The sucker was heavy
  • And smaller than it appears on screen
  • Whatever was used to make the blade shiny was chipping off

This sword has always been an elusive bit of prop history - so I of course had to get lots of B-Roll of it. Here's some pics of the prop - hopefully they will give us a better idea of the size, details and materials that were used for us Hook fans !

-AJ

Screenshot2012-04-19at10237PM.png

Last edited:
Awesome, yeah, I made one for a friend who is a member on here some time back. The blade I made was solid bronze. It gave the right look, but it was a bit too thick. Now that I am seeing these close up pics, I would of done the guard and grip a bit different as well. I did use a real coconut for the guard though :)

IMGP4702.jpg

IMGP4703.jpg

Awesome stuff, AJ!!

Can you tell us anything about the construction? It looks like the "coconut" is very crudely lined with leather. It also looks like the leather covering on the grip is possibly just glued on, and not stitched together. The shots with the dvd case will make this very easy to scale the correct size.

Didn't get much time to look at he construction - too preoccupied with the interview. It was definitely leather, not sure if it was stitched or not - hard to tell. There might be evidence of it in one of the pics or vids i got - would have to really dig.

Not sure what the hell the pommel was made from - looked like layered bark - was really odd and was flaking off after all these years. Do coconuts do that ?

Lovely pics all ! Thanks for sharing :)

As a side-line, looks like Rufio hasn't aged at all in 20 + years ! There could be a Hook II, & he could step right back into the role !

AJ, I clicked on the link in your 1st post. I didn't realise it was a video (just the same pics you posted).

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks he looks exactly the same !

Very well made clip too (y)thumbsup

bronze wasn't too expensive and made a durable prop. If I make one again, I'll definitely work to get the guard and grip more screen accurate. At the time I made that, we didn't have nearly as many good pics of the blade.

bronze wasn't too expensive and made a durable prop. If I make one again, I'll definitely work to get the guard and grip more screen accurate. At the time I made that, we didn't have nearly as many good pics of the blade.

Where and how does one craft a piece of bronze into that ? I know thats a big question, but my tools basically boil down to a dremmel and elbow grease. Is there a place that you can get the bronze from ?

Heck - if your in the L.A. area.... and feel like taking a crack at another.... just sayin.

-AJ

AJ, I clicked on the link in your 1st post. I didn't realise it was a video (just the same pics you posted).

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks he looks exactly the same !

Very well made clip too (y)thumbsup

Thanks ! And yeah - in the out takes and the show I comment way too much on how young he looks - he really does look the same, and one of the chillest dudes I've ever met to boot.

Where and how does one craft a piece of bronze into that ? I know thats a big question, but my tools basically boil down to a dremmel and elbow grease. Is there a place that you can get the bronze from ?

Heck - if your in the L.A. area.... and feel like taking a crack at another.... just sayin.

-AJ

I'm over in Florida. I make blades on the side as a hobby, so making a bronze blade wasn't too difficult for me. With the tools you mentioned, it could be really difficult to make a nice blade, but it may be easy to make a reasonable prop that is close enough. With a dremmel, you may want to use brass instead of bronze, and easy to find. You can get a plate from homedepot or lowes and cut a blade shape out. many ways to do it. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back