Holy mother of the force!!!!!!

Well I don't think I fall into "same people" group because I have never complained about anything like that but this is what i think...

I wouldn't want to see those graphics mixed in with live action for a movie. But this is just another style of animation. For what it is, I think it is enjoyable to watch.

I agree with you here. If it was mixed in with live action, I'd be out. But as a movie? I'd definitely enjoy it. I like 3D CGI Animation. What I can't stand is the Asian/Anime animation. It's so unrealistic, it drives me nuts.

Awesome trailer! Regardless of the cliques and what the game play is, those 6 minutes of animation told a pretty complete story all by itself! Well done!

I love all of these cinematic trailers for Force Unleashed II and SWTOR. I don't know how expensive they are to produce, but a full length theatrical movie would go over well I believe. I'm certain it would be a good payday from the box office.

Wow, that was just incredible. It really draws you in and like others have said...I could happily watch an entire film of that. Really really well done, I just hope the game is half as good and then we're getting somewhere.

Lucas needs to stop doing stuff and let this production team take over the star wars story. Their trailer videos have been so much better than anything Lucas has done in the last 10 years.

I'm not sure if everybody here realizes it but SWTOR is not a single player RPG or anything like that, it's an MMORPG which is why the trailers don't really show you the gameplay because what happens will largely be entirely up to you, and it's also why the graphics won't be like the trailers in game because the system that can handle that level of graphics in an MMO environment hasn't been built yet. At any rate, from everything I've read this is not going to be like every other MMO out there, first off it's Bioware so you know that it won't be released until they feel that it's ready to be released and not just to meet some arbitrary deadline and will be heavily patched right after installation. Also, since it's Bioware it will have a really strong story/plotline and unlike other MMOs the story will matter in that what and how you do things will matter and affect the gameplay so no two people will have exactly the same experience in game. As I understand it there's the possibility for you to **** of NPCs in the game and pissing off the wrong NPC can close off quest lines for you unlike other MMOs where it doesn't matter whether you succeed or fail in quest/mission since if you fail you can just simply take the quest over again.

As for the designs, I do admit that I'm a little less than impressed by some of the starship designs, especially the Sith. For a game set centuries before the prequels the Sith tech looks a little too modern and too much like the Republic designs. I understand that they're going for an homage to the Empire and all that but I think they could have gone a little less Star Destroyer and TIE fighter with the designs. But the other designs aren't that bad, the smuggler's ship sort of resembled the ship you get in the KOTOR series although SWTOR takes place about a century later. And the character designs are only for the trailers, your character(s) will look pretty much however you want them to look within the limits of the character designer and class you pick. While you could probably design your smuggler to be almost an exact clone of Han Solo it certainly won't be the only way you can design your character to look and the Republic Troopers don't even start out with armor.

I'm not sure if everybody here realizes it but SWTOR is not a single player RPG or anything like that, it's an MMORPG which is why the trailers don't really show you the gameplay because what happens will largely be entirely up to you, and it's also why the graphics won't be like the trailers in game because the system that can handle that level of graphics in an MMO environment hasn't been built yet.

Well, more the latter point than the former. They could easily show gameplay footage if they wanted. Just because your choices are more open-ended as far as how the game progresses doesn't mean they can't show actual in-game footage. But they definitely can't do "trailer-level" animation in gameplay yet, and even if they could, it wouldn't look that cool except as part of a button-press sequence (like slicing the AT-ST in half in The Force Unlimited).

At any rate, from everything I've read this is not going to be like every other MMO out there, first off it's Bioware so you know that it won't be released until they feel that it's ready to be released and not just to meet some arbitrary deadline and will be heavily patched right after installation. Also, since it's Bioware it will have a really strong story/plotline and unlike other MMOs the story will matter in that what and how you do things will matter and affect the gameplay so no two people will have exactly the same experience in game. As I understand it there's the possibility for you to **** of NPCs in the game and pissing off the wrong NPC can close off quest lines for you unlike other MMOs where it doesn't matter whether you succeed or fail in quest/mission since if you fail you can just simply take the quest over again.

Yeah, for the most part this is where it actually sort of blends between SP and MMO style gaming. Most MMOs are actually designed as large parallel-play SP games with a PvP component included. In other words, it's you and everyone else out there doing the same quests. The thing is, the quests are usually pretty dull and use text bubbles to convey info, which leads people to just skip through them so they can advance their characters (and then later complain that they've run through all the content, but that's a different issue...). This one seems to actually say "Hell yes, we're basically a large-scale SP game! And boy is it gonna rock!" which I actually respect. There's no pretense of a truly "dynamic" world that the players' actions affect. No "sandbox" element to the game the way SWG tried (and failed) to do. It seems more like a great big ol' Bioware RPG that you can play alongside your buddies. That's what's grabbed my attention about this game the most, really. I was ready to dismiss it originally as just "World of Warcraft with a Star Wars skin", but they seem to be going a bit farther than that.

As for the designs, I do admit that I'm a little less than impressed by some of the starship designs, especially the Sith. For a game set centuries before the prequels the Sith tech looks a little too modern and too much like the Republic designs. I understand that they're going for an homage to the Empire and all that but I think they could have gone a little less Star Destroyer and TIE fighter with the designs. But the other designs aren't that bad, the smuggler's ship sort of resembled the ship you get in the KOTOR series although SWTOR takes place about a century later. And the character designs are only for the trailers, your character(s) will look pretty much however you want them to look within the limits of the character designer and class you pick. While you could probably design your smuggler to be almost an exact clone of Han Solo it certainly won't be the only way you can design your character to look and the Republic Troopers don't even start out with armor.

Yeah, the design stuff is part of the issue with an "Old Republic" timeline. How far do you move away from the core of Star Wars (namely, the OT) before it ceases to be recognizably Star Wars? The Dark Horse Comics series did a pretty good job, I thought, but it was a niche-market comic book series, so they pretty much had their bases covered with the core subject matter.

Frankly, I think this basically marries the underlying "feel" of the OT with the non-timeline-breaking presence of thousands of Jedi right out of the gate. SWG had issues with this (and many many other things...) and never really came up with a good explanation for why everyone could unlock Jedi or later just play as one out of the gate. Setting the game during the Old Republic era solves that issue, and having the tech look preeeeeetttty close to the OT style (along with another "Empire" to fight) lets them give players the "feel" of the OT without the continuity issues the OT imposes.

Interesting... ..I think. Watching it gave me the odd sensation that I was living through the 'Power of the Force' action figures era all over again - everything is jacked up, maxed-out.

I also realized that somewhere between 'Dark Forces' and this, the characters in SW video games have gone from older than me to younger than me. Dang.

I have to say that until this last trailer, it has always seemed as if the Jedi needed two to defeat just one Sith. I'm glad to see that there seems to be a handful of Jedi that can take on the Sith 1 VS 1.

And that compilation of the trailers was well done!

I have to say that until this last trailer, it has always seemed as if the Jedi needed two to defeat just one Sith. I'm glad to see that there seems to be a handful of Jedi that can take on the Sith 1 VS 1.

What about Luke ;) He took on Vader and won.

Maybe it's just that Zabrak make the best Force users.

Edit: The YouTube user kinda screwed up the order.

story wise all the clips together made sence to me.
Here is where it is wrong...according to their developing story. Sith take back Korriban. They then attempt to overtake Alderaan. The Sith then try and forge a peace treaty with the Republic on Alderaan since they get their butts handed to them, but while there are negotiations going on there, the now facially ruined Darth Malgus stages an attack on the Jedi temple as the rest of the Sith sack Coruscant.

Another catch is the trooper at the beginning of the Alderaan sequence is the same trooper that escapes with Saetele Shan and the Smuggler from Korriban. So, BioWare released the trailers backwards. First was last and the most recent was first.

Return/Retaking of Korriban. (Recent trailer)
Hope/Attack on Alderaan. (Last year's trailer)
Decieved/Sacking of Coruscant. (First trailer released)

Yes, I DO geek out for this game. Try watching it in that order. It will make more sense.

You can also tell that Malgus is unscarred and "healthier" looking in the most recent trailer. In the "Hope" trailer on Alderaan he is much more scarred and battle weary, even before the grenade & blast.

Either way, I love, love, love these trailers and keep them bookmarked to watch every now and again. I especially love the "God-like" status that the Jedi & Sith appear to have over the force and the super-human abilities it gives them in battle. When Satile is deflecting the lightsaber with her palm it's just plain awesome....not to mention her assault on Malgus!

Personally, I found the original animation from the Deceived Cinematic Trailer to be completely awesome. I had heard rumors of the game, but didn't know about it until the trailer was pointed out to me by a friend. Once I saw it, I was hooked.

Darth Malgus is a good character with an interesting background. From the initial ideas you got in the three trailers to the novel, he has a very well defined character. His armor is very Darth Vaderish, but still retains the look made popular with the KOTOR series of games (more padding than armor). Finally, he has a twi'lek wife/slave... Who wouldn't like that?

The character of Satele Shan, first introduced in the Threat of Peace comic series was an interesting addition. The descendant of Bastila and Revan, her powers made her seem a little important. However, with her inclusion in the Hope Cinematic Trailer, she was shown to have almost Unleashed abilities (the final blow in the trailer). Finally named in the Return Cinematic Trailer, she appears to be quite the character.

Overall, the technology does appear to be borrowed from both the OT and PT. The shock troop armor of the Sith is very reminescent of the OT stormtroopers and the Republic Soldiers have the Clone look going on. Even the soldiers from Deceived appear much like the Rebel Fleet Troopers and Hoth Troopers from the OT.

The smuggler/gunslinger is just plain awesome but looks to be a cross between Cad Bane and Han Solo as played by Clint Eastwood. His ship is a good cross between the Millenium Falcon and the Ebon Hawk. Finally, his character is made 3D by the glance he sends toward the female twi'lek that walks by in the beginning of the Return Cinematic Trailer.

Overall, the trilogy of Cinematic Trailers gives a good look into the background and story of the game, as well as a look at what to expect from the gameplay (though with lower graphics). If nothing else, they are very eye-catching and will draw attention to the game website.

Finally, this also shows what kind of a wimp Luke Skywalker is. When the Emperor is attacking him with Force lightning, he is whimpering and crying for his daddy to help him. The Republic Trooper, on the other hand, draws steel to gut himself a Sith.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back