Historical Artifact Replicas

Welp, got em in today.

The spear is pretty badass. it's one piece (wires, blade, etc), and the gold covering is another separate piece. It's heavy, fairly detailed, and really a nice display piece. It's not as awesome as the 900$ piece from hellboy, or the whatever price is from indy (seriously, dude does crazy insane work), but for the money it's a fair deal. Compared to the resin pics I have seen of it, dude stepped his game up pretty well. That leads to the second piece of the shipment though...

The tablet, unfortunately, is not that terrific. Apparently these are made in china (not one to throw stones, cause it's where my crystals get done) and the resin is kinda bubbly. It's also cast in a weird tan colored resin (maybe to look like sandstone?). I loved the phaistos disc I got from him, so if that was a solid 10, this would be a 7 or so.

Also mildly peeved I didn't get the extra bracket I requested. I can't find the damned things locally.

Gonna take some pics later and pop up a review thread for em. Right now, gotta go scoot to the glass place to see about my little vials!

Chris

Here is another Rosetta Stone in black acryl (the edges are still unfinished on the photo).
I have made those in different sizes, the smallest is around 1" height.
53fih.jpg

That stone is BEAUTIFUL! Do you make full size ones?

The original (114x72cm) would be too big for my machine. The copy on the photo is around 14" high (35.5cm).I've engraved it with a laser engraver. I could CNC a real sized one perhaps.
My plan was to model the rest of the stone in foam and plunk this on top - and seam/fill/paint/age the rest of the object the same color.

The original (114x72cm) would be too big for my machine. The copy on the photo is around 14" high (35.5cm).I've engraved it with a laser engraver. I could CNC a real sized one perhaps.
My plan was to model the rest of the stone in foam and plunk this on top - and seam/fill/paint/age the rest of the object the same color.

Are you going to start selling the middle size one?

Review time!

pQSvK.jpg

PPukt.jpg

ShuGB.jpg

chkfe.jpg

PIO0U.jpg

mAl6O.jpg

6xPZL.jpg

It's pretty awesome. Hell of a piece. Huge, metal, nice display detail. It's not like I plan on stabbing any demigods with it, so having it be a dust collector is fine.

Tablet review!
Bx2RQ.jpg

The flash makes it look a bit worse than it is, cause some of those bubble areas are pretty hard to see. Still, after some painting and some TLC I hope to have this looking a lot better.

All in all, not bad. I'd give the spear 4 savior pokes out of 5, and the tablet 2.5 floods out of 5.

Chris

Officially started an interest thread for an at cost run of the Emerald Tablet in the JY. Take a peek if you are interested in THE MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE, or just, you know... cool shiny prop crystal thingies :lol

Chris

:O How have I missed this thread for so long?!

**SORRY IF MY IMAGES ARE MASSIVE I'M RESIZING THEM ATM**

DSC04071.jpg

I have a few historical replicas in my collection: a Tiberius denarius, Elizabeth I's locket ring, and the anointing spoon from the Crown Jewels. I also have two mini faberge egg replicas, spanish doubloon gold coin replicas, and a fossil I found on the beach in Devon, which isn't a replica but is older than all of human history. Woo!

DSC04069.jpg

DSC04072.jpg

Oh yeah and that's a Maori idol from Rotorua, and a whip from somewhere in Africa from the 1920's. I inherited it from my great grandmother. What she was doing with it I don't even want to know :love :lol

DSC04073.jpg

I just saw replicas of these on ebay, so having the real thing must count right? This is my great great grandfather's bronze death plaque from World War 1.

I also just remembered I have a bunch of replica documents such as blueprints & telegrams from the hearings after the Titanic sank, but can't find them. They're from this book (if you can call it a book?). As well as a replica ticket from when the artifact exhibition was in London a few years ago, and a bunch of replica posters advertising the maiden voyage.

On another note:

I'd love to see a replica of King Edward III's Sword - it's over 6ft long and he used it in battle. Pretty impressive when you see it in real life :D

I'd also willingly kill for a replica of the Shield of Achilles, from the Illiad. The description of it has it's own chapter. The only replica I've ever seen in real life is this one, but it's probably not for sale judging by who it belongs to.

I get a laugh at how many of the items that have been brought up are stars of various conspiracy theories and pseudo-archaeology. I've been getting into a lot of that myself -- the anthropology of pseudo-archaeology, that is, not the theories themselves.

Only thing I have so far is a hand-painted reproduction on leather of the design from King Pakal's sarcophagus, made locally in Palenque and purchased by a relative of mine while she was visiting there:

pakal.JPG

Had I time, money, and especially display space my short list would probably include Ica Stones, a (small) Crystal Skull -- the Vodka bottle would do nicely as well -- Phaistos Disk, and...well there's really a lot to chose for even within those narrow parameters, isn't there? Even if a, say, Kensington Rune Stone, or a Stonehenge, is a little bit to display (for the latter, there is the option of going a little smaller. As long as it doesn't get, you know, kicked by a dwarf...!)

I would kill for an enigma machine. I've meant for years to make a replica of one. I love the Key to the Bastille, sent to General Washington by his former Aide de camp, the Marquis de Lafayette, who helped liberate the famous prison
Here's a nice brass version:
I bought a cast iron one a couple years ago and after some filing and burying it in my yard for 2 months it looks totally authentic.
No Need to kill someone Adam, I building one with the plan to build more. And as You and the Tested Team are one of the Reasons I started to work as a Prop and Modelmaker it would be an honour to contribute to your collection.

Best wishes from Berlin, just about 3 kilometres from where the original machines were build.

I don't see why this thread is not more popular. I plan on doing an Uncle Indy cabinet of curiosities to be put on the wall in a Tiki bar I'm building in my basement. It will feature normal Indy items in the center... then it will be surrounded by oddity items from all over the world being insinuated that Indy picked these up while out on his adventures. It kind of scratches two itches for me that I need scratched.

I make historical replicas all the time! Mainly for reenactment use, but some have ended up on the small screen here and there.

Mostly things like radio knobs, radio face plates, grenades (so many different models), sights. That sort of thing. I'll have to dig up some photos.

This thread came to mind today, due to my planning to recreate a historical artifact for my first time.

Well "recreate" isn't quite the word, because most of that work has been done by others.

The 2023 exhibit Tartans by the Victoria and Albert Museum, Dundee included the earliest dated fragment of Highland tartan.

Little is known about its provenance other than that it was dug out of a peat bog in Glen Affric, Scotland and that it's been carbon dated to around 1525AD.

The Scottish weaver House of Edgar has received exclusive permission to weave and sell the reconstruction by Peter MacDonald of what's thought to be the fabric's original colours.

My plan is to purchase some of this fabric (I think it's around $100 per yard) and attempt to recreate the existing stained, worn, and ripped fragment. It's basic fabric distressing techniques and shouldn't be difficult.

Here's the original fragment (left), Peter MacDonald and V&A personnel, and the House of Edgar fabric (right).

As you can see small bits of the cloth have been cut off for carbon dating and for fibre and chemical analysis.

ldqED4S.jpg

Last edited:
I suppose this qualifies. Definitely a cool addition for the cabinet of curiosities. The Aztec Death Whistle. Think I paid 38.00 on Amazon.
If you like this sort of thing, check out the assassin's tea pot. Also available on Amazon.

The whistle really does make an unsettling sound.

-Rylo

Attachments

• 20240206_100803.jpg
    20240206_100803.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240206_100810.jpg
    20240206_100810.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back