Historical Artifact Replicas

Recently went to chichen itza and bought two replica sacrificial daggers sadly broke both of the obsidian blades,stll have the handles though and gonna carve sone wooden blades

Lil bit of a necro bump.

Hoping anyone has some more info on the various replicas out there.

Currently looking for an Antikythera Mechanism, or at least some decent side shots so I can try my hand at building a replica of it.

Chris

I've loved the Antikythera Mechanism since I heard about it many years ago.

It is just that perfect "2000 year old, super advanced, mechanical and multifunctional gadget meets sunken treasure" relic. It's an old-timey smartphone with a whole range of apps.

Those models are also beautiful, and I wonder if there is a schematic somewhere of one of the reconstructions? Given the tools of the era, its construction is pretty much plates, gears and rods. So it seems like someone with schematics and access to a laser cutter/waterjet could build a static replica of the mechanism fairly easily. =) This might warrant a research folder... *unhealthy obsession creeping on*

Good luck on your project, hydin =)

A display with a current-state replica alongside a wood and copper reconstruction would be nice :)

Thanks for those .pdfs, autoprops, they are a great start!

-Kim

The replica I hope to find, or at least build if I have to, is going to be the shipwreck crusty one :lol

I hate "shiny new" props. If I build something, dammit it's gonna LOOK like it's been used. Might look like crap because of it, but it makes it seem a bit more "real" to me.

Thanks for the pdfs!
Chris

I do love me some crusty shipwreck items, growing up on an island, I spent countless hours as a youth gathering rusty jetsam.

I grew up near a wrecksite of a Dutch merchant ship and I have friends who are divers who have found both silver coins and other metal objects from that site. When it was first discovered in the 70s, 57000 coins were found, 6600 of them were gold.

One of my diver friends found this doorhandle near the wrecksite last year, he donated it to the museum which holds the publicly owned portion of the original treasure:
Rundeskatten%20handtak%20dykkerklubben.JPG

He also found this silver coin lodged between rocks on the shore, using a metal detector:
250546_10150192856950808_3788341_n-e1340397761967.jpg

Photo of coins from the wreck:
RundeskattenUtstilling1.jpg

-Kim

Last edited:
All these priceless artifacts, they belong in a museum...

...or on my shelf collecting dust!

Most of the things you've all posted have, at least, once crossed my mind for replicating to have in my collection or adorn my home.

Two recent additions to my "Want List" is the Codex Gigas and the ngoma lungundu /"voice of God", or (as legend goes) the final incarnation of the actual Ark of the Covenant.

lemba-ark.jpg

Just a heads up, saw reelart on ebay has a cool new artifact. It's a cuniform tablet of the Epic of Gilgamesh Tablet XI.

The specs aren't EXACT, his is a little smaller and a little thinner than the official piece (according to measurements on the auction vs measurements from the museum that has it), but it looks like a beauty.

Giving serious thought to snagging a copy to go with the phaistos disc I got from him last year. Loves me some archaeological prop replicas.

Chris

I'm pretty proud of this one I recently finished, the Magna Carta:

SAM_0183.jpg

SAM_0186.jpg

SAM_0185.jpg

SAM_0187.jpg

Put in spoiler tag so as not to take up a whole page with my pics. ;)

Does anybody know what the legendary Emerald Tablet is supposed to look like?
The Emerald Tablet is supposed to be a tablet made of emerald inscribed with mystical writings.
What about the legendary Book of Thoth? I would think that the Book of Thoth from Egyptian mythology would look like an ancient Egyptian scroll.

I think replicas of historical jewels like the Hope Diamond are very cool, too.

I think there are already replicas of the hope diamond out there.

If someone wants to do a schematic for it though, I'd be glad to run it past my crystal guys.

Also, I was surprised to see it mentioned above, but I am working with them on an "Emerald Tablet" as well.

It's a big, green crystal tablet (bout 16x12x1.5), I am just waiting to find out if they can hand carve (or tool carve) the lettering in without me having to have someone doodle it up.

Trying to decide if I want it to be flat and "finished" like it's a mystical item, or if I want it to be a rough finish with pieces that are less finished and more faceted.

Still way, way, way up in the air though.
Chris

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back