Highlander: The TV Series

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by IronFist, Mar 17, 2006.

1. IronFist

IronFist Well-Known Member

Hi all,

First off, I don't know if this qualifies for prop discussion or if this should've been Off-Topic. If it needs to be moved, please do so and accept my advance apologies.

I know a lot of you are employed in or have professional contacts in the prop industry. I am looking to make contact with anyone who may have worked on the television show Highlander. Specifically, I'm looking for someone who has knowledge of the props from late in the first season and early in the second season. The episodes in question would have been filmed in France, but the props may still have been made in Vancouver, British Columbia.

I am on a quest to reproduce something that I was fortunate enough to have held over ten years ago, but not fortunate enough to be able to have afforded it at the time when it was being auctioned off. Also, I suppose, if you bought any Highlander props at the first Highlander convention in Denver, Colorado in 1994, maybe you still have the prop I'm looking for or know where I can find it, which would be even better.

Either way, please feel free to contact me here as I would like to speak with you.

Thanks for indulging me.

Chris

2. dkwd

dkwd Well-Known Member

For what are you looking?
    I'm on another Highlander website that may have picked it up at the convention.

David

3. IronFist

PM sent, David.

4. IronFist

Just a bump for the nighttime crowd.

5. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. IronFist

Thanks, but no, that's not it. I guess I'll let the cat out: I'm after Darius' Watcher's Chronicle.

It was the first prop I ever associated with the knowledge that someone could actually buy a prop that was used in a movie or TV show. It was actually the whole reason I flew to Denver for the show (though I got so much more out of it than that).

Ever since then, it's been my Holy Grail, and I just feel I'm in a position to do something about that now.

7. Apollo

Good luck in your search..

8. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Well-Known Member

Not sure what help I could offer - I never worked on the show or anything, but I was there at the con - I'm one of the founding members of the ShadowPlayers Stage Combat Group that performed the swordfighting demonstrations there.

Along with performing in about every other swordfight in the show, I played the part of Luke in the Return of the Jedi Vader vs. Luke lightsaber duel finale.

I was also selling swords for the mail-order company I had back then with a partner, 'SwordMasters'. My former partner owns the screen-used ornate El Cid 'Colada' sword that Richie takes out of the case in the pilot episode of the show, and that, along with a couple other high-end Highlander-related swords I own, was on display hanging inside two upright four-sided plexi display cases at the ends of our sales table.

I also met Gary Gillies, who (at that time, at least) owned (and brought) the original prototype Ramirez Katana from the first film, and a couple years later, I purchased from him a screen-used hero Ramirez Katana used in Highlander 2.

It'd be a great blast from the past if you actually had some pics of the con goings on there... I only have a handful myself.

9. Aegis159

Aegis159 Sr Member

Tease.. For those of us that are huge Highlander fans I know I'd love to see your pics... I never got to attend one of the conventions....

10. IronFist

<geek moment> That is so flipping cool...</geek moment>

I don't have too many photo, either. They're mostly photos of me and the castmembers. I ended up volunteering my time to the organizers and because they were shorthanded, I worked security for them during the show (Yes, I was a "Purple Shirt"). That didn't leave a lot of time for touring the con, but it did have its perks.

I also have (somewhere...) a couple photos of Adrian getting into his limo as he was leaving. But nothing I have is appropriate to this board, and not very interesting in the first place. :)

11. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well this might not be too exciting, but I actually have a screen used Highlander prop.

If anyone remembers the fourth season episode in which a Romance writer makes a trashy novel about Duncan MacLeod called "Blade of the MacLeods",

well I have a prop copy of "Blade of the MacLeods" that was used in the show.

Not the Darius watchers chronicle I know, but still sort of cool I think.

Dan Stokes
    DDStokes@aol.com

12. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does anyone own any of the prop swords from the show?
    Dan

13. EdgeofNowhere

EdgeofNowhere Well-Known Member

Ironfist,

do you have any screencaps of this? it might be an interesting prop to make, if you can't find the actual piece

14. IronFist

That's cool, Dan. I actually own the German Documents that Duncan would have used to smuggle the scientist out of Germany in Season 2, Episode 7, "The Return of Amanda".

15. IronFist

I sat down with my DVDs last week and made some caps. I plan to reproduce it soon. It's tough because there're four interior pages to reproduce, but the images aren't clear enough to make out the text that I need to enter.

16. armourerdoug

armourerdoug New Member

Hi Guys,
    I have 2 nice pices from the original Highlander movie I am looking to sell, drop me a line if you are interested. I used to work for Gary gillies at Alien War London and his sword lived under my desk for a while. he lent it to the production company for highlander 3 and was given a small part in an episode of the TV show.

Doug

17. LZeitgeist

<div class='quotetop'>(armourerdoug @ Mar 20 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]1209622[/snapback]</div>
    I sat down with my DVDs last week and made some caps. I plan to reproduce it soon. It's tough because there're four interior pages to reproduce, but the images aren't clear enough to make out the text that I need to enter.
    <div align="right">[snapback]1209479[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]
    Hi Guys,
    I have 2 nice pices from the original Highlander movie I am looking to sell, drop me a line if you are interested. I used to work for Gary gillies at Alien War London and his sword lived under my desk for a while. he lent it to the production company for highlander 3 and was given a small part in an episode of the TV show.

Doug
    [/b][/quote]

Met Gary at the first official Highlander Fan Club Convention/'Gathering I' in Denver, Co in October 1994...stayed in touch with him for a few years but lost track of each other.

Was pleasantly stunned to see him there in Watcher Headquarters in the episode you reference... *grin*

What are you selling? Drop me a line at LZeitgeist@aol.com if you like...

18. IronFist

<div class='quotetop'>(LZeitgeist @ Jun 8 2006, 06:07 AM) [snapback]1258274[/snapback]</div>
    Small world. I was working security at Gathering I.

19. LZeitgeist

<div class='quotetop'>(IronFist @ Jun 8 2006, 08:06 AM) [snapback]1258304[/snapback]</div>
    Small world. I was working security at Gathering I.
    [/b][/quote]

Wow, small world indeed.. I was one of the swordfighting performers, there with my (former) fight group, the ShadowPlayers. Among other things, I portrayed Luke in the final Luke/Vader lightsaber fight that finished our show.

20. Zeppo

Zeppo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Anakin Starkiller @ Mar 20 2006, 07:57 AM) [snapback]1209459[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have any prop swords from the show, but I did write the majority of the sword chronicles that appear on the season 3-6 DVDs.

21. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

a few of the folks above mentioned owning Highlander hero katana props....

im interested in ANY screen used highlander swords.
    email me at shagbd@msn.com if you have any...

22. Rupert_Angier

Rupert_Angier Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(apollo @ Mar 17 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]1208073[/snapback]</div>

Man, those swords got more expensive since the last time I visted that site. :( But oh well, it still looks great.

23. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

thats because they now have folded steel Bushido blades from Paul chen...
    they are more expensive, but ALOT better quality

24. Rupert_Angier

Rupert_Angier Sr Member

Paul Chen did the earlier blades as well, right? Actually, for the price, it isn't that bad. An accurate Highlander Katana, that's able to do at least stage combat, is well worth that. :)

25. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Rupert_Angier @ Nov 6 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]1351675[/snapback]</div>

well id never DREAM of contact fighting with a live blade.

I got the FIRST one of these Bushido bladed Musashis from Sal, and the thing is "shaving" sharp....
    its such a fine blade , it would destory its value to blunt it as well..

BUT if you want a Highlander style sword to use for stage combat, use aluminum blades...
    if you WANT an aluminum bladed highlander sword, shoot me a PM.... i have a source... :)

26. thefish

thefish Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Rupert_Angier @ Nov 6 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]1351675[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. Using Hanwei blades is new. I don't recall who did the originals, (Cold Steel maybe? I think I'm wrong there,) but they weren't laminate blades. They were high carbon steel, (I believe all grindwork,) that was differentially tempered. So, that explains the difference in price there.

And the price on Sal's Musashi isn't as steep as the ones Albion Armory is doing.

http://www.filmswords.com/highlander/index.htm

-Dan

*EDITED TO ADD* At least what Albion is CLAIMING to do. They've been "in development" for years now, and they've show pics of prototypes, but I have yet to hear from ANYONE who actually owns one. No one at Sword Forum, anyway. Anyone here seen, heard, or actually HELD anything from this line. Albion does top notch bladework. I'd like to see the results. Good things take time, but WOW.

27. Darth Maul

Darth Maul Well-Known Member

I got a Musashi a while back, and remember there were two versions at the time. the one I got was the more expensive Musashi-S I believe. I'm pretty sure it uses a Paul Chen Shinto blade, hence the S. The other maybe was a pratical or pratical plus blade I think?

I don't remember him ever using Cold Steel blades, but I could be mistaken. I've got a few cold steel swords, and their blades are much heavier then the one used in the Musashi, but perhaps it was from a different time of production. But, mine I'm pretty sure is a paul chen shinto blade.

In either case, they are awesome swords.

Edit:

Ok, actually found an old review on Sals site that says a prototype used a Kris Cutlery blade, and then the old swordforum review by David where it was a pratical katana blade, then there is the one I have with the shinto blade. So, there's been, quite a few variants 'throughout the ages' Had to get something Highlander sounding in there ;)

28. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

yes, the FIRST Musashis were made using Kris Cutlery blades.... this was KC's oLD katana blades that were clunky and ground poorly.... they have since improved...
    Sal then went to useing the Practical katana (what he called the classic blade) and the Shinto katana (what he called the S blade) so for a while they were avalible in two price ranges.
    He was ALSO making the "Shadow" katana which was identical to the musashi but cast in a black resin instead of white.
    He got tired of having to dissassmble the practical katanas so he switched to useing Practical Plus katana blades and also discontinued the Shinto bladed ones.... Then he found the Bushido folded blades to his liking and has now switched to them.

Thats sort of the "semi complete" blade history of Point gallery...

29. thefish

thefish Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(David Stokes @ Nov 6 2006, 11:25 AM) [snapback]1351889[/snapback]</div>
    Kris. Yes. I KNEW it wasn't Cold Steel. I knew it was the hard "K" consonant though.

Hi from a fellow Sword Forumite, BTW...

-Dan Trout

30. Apollo

<div class='quotetop'>(Rupert_Angier @ Nov 5 2006, 10:25 PM) [snapback]1351613[/snapback]</div>

Man, those swords got more expensive since the last time I visted that site. :( But oh well, it still looks great.
    [/b][/quote]

That's because as I am sure you have read by now that the Blade is much better.

If you are on the fence I would get one now, as the last time I talked with Sal he told me he was going to maybe take a break making the Kats.

31. LZeitgeist

Holy f**k. The last time I remember checking out the site, the swords were in the $600-700 range.

Now they're $1500 bucks????

Take a flying leap, PointGallery...

32. Darth Maul

Darth Maul Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(LZeitgeist @ Nov 6 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]1352221[/snapback]</div>
    Its a much better blade, so the price increase is justified I think. The Chen bushido katana's are in the 750-1000 range last time I checked. Personally I think he was better having a less expensive version also, probably would sell more, but not my call to make of course.

I'm not even sure what I paid for the Mushasi S to be honest. I think it was 899 if I remember correctly. Maybe David recalls what it went for?

I'm happy I got mine when I did, its a great sword, and the shinto blade is still a very good blade. I'd be more on the fence now spending the current price to get one. Though I do have some folded steel katana's now also, so probably woudn't be on the fence all that long. :lol

33. LZeitgeist

Great... all I'd need to have happen is for them to sell me the friggin' handle and I'll put it on my own stainless steel display blade with a Marto double rooster tsuba, and we're all happy in the Heinske household...

Somehow, I'm not envisioning me holding my breath...

Sorry, I'm just * because I'd always wanted one of the Musashis, and that price jump is just absolutely insane, blade or no blade. *sigh*

34. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

well compare that price to the $3500 for the Albions and it suddenly is a bit more sane.

Sal is an artist and would rather sell a quality product instead of a cheap product. His swords are worth every dime.
    Honestly... $1500 is NOT alot of money for a folded steel blade.... shop around a bit and you will realize they are priced right.

If all you want is some stainless steel wallhanger decorator sword, your probably better off just getting the Marto. Sal targets his swords for martial artists and people who will cut with and USE the swords... if its just going to sit on your wall, you really ARE wasting your money.... sorry like buying a Lamborgini as a commuter vehicle, ya know? its just overkill man.

35. The Wolf

The Wolf Sr Member

I was rewatching the first season of Highlander and noticed a good paper prop to make.
    In "See No Evil" Duncan gives his business card to a guy that sells motorcycles.
    View attachment 45452
    I even include the mis-spelling of "ACQUISITIONS"
    This cn be printed on on tan card stock. It is designed to be printed on the pre-scored business cards for home printers. Turn off the page scaliong when printing.

Wolf

36. Apollo

Looks like this thread is immortal! :lol

37. Aventurer

Aventurer New Member

Yes. It´s perfect :D

38. LZeitgeist

Wow. Blast from the past...