High Res CTU logo?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by TFrosst, Mar 24, 2006.

1. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Kris

Kris Sr Member

3. TFrosst

4. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

5. TFrosst

6. ursus43

ursus43 Well-Known Member

Paint shop pro will open it also.

7. decaturvader

decaturvader Sr Member

Hmmm..my Paint Shop Prop 7.0 says it's an improper type and will not open it. Can someone convert it for us folks w/o CD?

8. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

9. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

10. dr_slurpee

11. neophyl

neophyl Well-Known Member

Well I use Corel as my normal graphics program so I thought Id convert it for you guys.

Unfortunately I see why it was posted in its native format now. The 36k cdr file turns into a monster 170 MEG file as an EPS and a whopping 295 MEG as an .AI file when output using corels export filters.

No way Im uploading those. :confused

Want me to try wpg or wmf ? At least wmf can be imported into eevn word files.

12. dr_slurpee

13. neophyl

Just been playing around with the settings and the problem is with the placeable headers. If you choose to have one then its adds in a bitmap as well as the other file info and with it being 10+inch image that leads to a big image header.

When scaled down to 3.5 inch its more manageble. 10 meg for the Ai and 21 for the eps. I could drop the placeable header or lower the resolution settings for the header only and see what that gives.

Theres also something pretty screwy happening with the way the image layers have been constructed in the original. Not the way I would have put it together at all, but cant really complain when its free :)

With purely vector doesnt matter what size you have it which is why I like corel.

14. dr_slurpee

15. neophyl

It was a general comment on vector art :) I know what illustrator is, I just dont have a copy of it, or the time to learn it instead of corel which Ive used since version 3.

Been checking various options in the export filters and alo looking more closely at the artwork itself and I think I know what causing the file size increaes whn its exported.

Corel has this tool called a 'lens' effect. Now the creator of the ctu.cdr file has used a graduated lens effect to darken the eagle where it overlaps the black sections of the background. This only uses about 1k extra in the corel file but causes massive problems when exporting. So much so that the 205 meg eps output drops down to a measely 205k.

Same with trying an AI version.

Im going to try a different way to get the same effect and see what results I get afterwards.

16. dr_slurpee

17. neophyl

Funny you should mention that. Instead of using a bloody complicated graduated fill as a transparency layer for the lens tool Ive converted it to a simple transparency.

Could you try importing this WMF and see what it looks like on your system CTU.WMF file its only 280k in size.

18. dr_slurpee

19. Eyes Only

Eyes Only Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

20. TFrosst