HIC Build :)

kleemunch

I purchased the mold of Han Solo frozen in carbonite as a Christmas present for the hubs years ago. I decided that since we are renovating our basement, I would start getting to work on it! A nice gentleman I work with who has helped with some home repairs for us as well mounted Han to some plywood for me and screwed in the pieces from the back of the plywood and then filled in the gaps with insulation foam. I went out and bought a dremel and trimmed away some of the excess but I still have some work to do with his fingers. I covered the edges with latex caulk and that's as far as I've gotten. Debating whether or not to use wood glue as I know another maker did (although he also used bondo to adhere Han to plywood), or if I want to use drywall mud like my carpenter/master of all trades mentor suggested. Probably leaning towards drywall mud. I haven't purchased the box that I know another vendor sells in this forum (or did) so the plywood will be mounted directly onto my wall in my basement hallway. Here are some pictures! He hung out in my basement for a while so he is a little dirty. :) Eventually, I will spray paint him a metallic gray and use a darker color to paint into the crevices to give him some depth. Goal is to finish it before Christmas!

Attachments

• 20191213_102846.jpg
    20191213_102846.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 229
  • 20191213_102900.jpg
    20191213_102900.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 20191213_102903.jpg
    20191213_102903.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 20191213_102907.jpg
    20191213_102907.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 20191213_102916.jpg
    20191213_102916.jpg
    794.6 KB · Views: 215
Han Solo is mostly completed! I finished up with some drywall mud all around him which turned out nicely. Although I would say to layer it on slowly if Han is raised off of your plywood. Mine started to crack after it dried because I had so much caked on there but I like the end result. I used latex caulk again to fill in the cracks because at the end of the day, you can't tell the difference! I did sand it down a bit once everything dried so it wouldn't be rough to the touch. I appreciated that the drywall mud gave me the ability to texture it before it dried. And I could work on it while he was propped up instead of laying him flat. After all the caulk and mud were dry, I sprayed the whole thing with Kilz just to seal everything and prevent moisture from seeping in. Today, I used some Rusteoleum Metallic Hammered spray paint in Flat Iron (I think) to give him that overall color of a nice dark gray. I'm going to go over it with some acrylic paint in black and gray to really give it depth and to hide some additional cracks that appeared in the resin itself after I spray painted. Also considering purchasing some LED light strips to go around him once he is mounted on my wall!

Attachments

• han solo a.jpg
    han solo a.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 189
  • han solo b.jpg
    han solo b.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 192
  • han solo c.jpg
    han solo c.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 184
  • han solo d.jpg
    han solo d.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 188
  • han solo 1.jpg
    han solo 1.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 182
  • han solo 2.jpg
    han solo 2.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 170
  • han solo 3.jpg
    han solo 3.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 168
  • han solo 5.jpg
    han solo 5.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 179
  • han solo 6.jpg
    han solo 6.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 209
  • han solo 7.jpg
    han solo 7.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 211
I'd also be interested to know where you got the original cast parts which you had assembled to the backing board.

Cool progress.

Did you buy a kit like the head is a separated piece?
Oh my goodness. I haven't been on this site in forever! I bought this original cast from KingJawa here on RFP but that's no longer an option. I joined a Facebook Group specifically for HIC builds and there are two guys on the site that make and sell Han himself. I highly recommend purchasing from either Ben Eaton or Wes Coke from this Facebook Group.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back