HIC Build

Not sure about the wash. I need to research that myself.

I have the end buckets glued in and some spray foam around it for stability.
View attachment 531172
View attachment 531173

i use that foam allot at work, i really like it. as for the wash i googled the term and nothing really came up, i think what people mean by that is brushing the paint on and with a wet drag slowly removing the paint on the flat surfaces and leaving the nook and cranny's still filled with the paint

i really need to catch up on my weather skills, i fear thats where i lack the most in this hobby.

i really want to tackle this project once my other big projects are done. is there anything you would do different so far if you were to do it over?

Good question. If I was to start over. I have limited skills when it comes to building things. I wish I had knowledge of using a router. I would have made the bucket holes nicer and recessed the edges into the wood. I also would have made the interior supports line up a little better. Technically I should have driven the hour and kidnapped my father for a weekend or find a way to go back in time and actually pay attention to him when he was building stuff.

Good question. If I was to start over. I have limited skills when it comes to building things. I wish I had knowledge of using a router. I would have made the bucket holes nicer and recessed the edges into the wood. I also would have made the interior supports line up a little better. Technically I should have driven the hour and kidnapped my father for a weekend or find a way to go back in time and actually pay attention to him when he was building stuff.

thanks for sharing, have you made anymore progress?

A wash is usually done with a watered down paint, brushed on and let to settle on the recessed areas to create settled grime and enhance shadows.
Works well for rust also.
Scale modelers are the ones to look to on the subject.

The paint on then wipe off works also.
In the figure kit community they use a glazing medium with paint that is painted on and wiped off.
Works well for making detail like reptile scales pop.

A wash is usually done with a watered down paint, brushed on and let to settle on the recessed areas to create settled grime and enhance shadows.
Works well for rust also.
Scale modelers are the ones to look to on the subject.

The paint on then wipe off works also.
In the figure kit community they use a glazing medium with paint that is painted on and wiped off.
Works well for making detail like reptile scales pop.

thank you very much for explaining, i was very curious if its a actually technique or just a saying. I'm going to google in further research now, thanks!

Finally had a chance to take the build outside and sand it. I applied another coat of filler and it looks to be a nice weekend so I am hoping to get sanding and maybe primer down on it. I am hoping the winter stays the way it is so I can get the painting done.

Warm spring day. Finally got the build outside from its winter nap. I was able to apply the 4 coasts of primer early in the morning and then one base coat in the afternoon.
20160424_151610.jpg

20160424_151622.jpg

20160424_152933.jpg

Finally got time to work on this again. Made some progress. For some reason the last picture only imports upside down.
IMG_4252.JPG

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4263.JPG
    IMG_4263.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4263.JPG
    IMG_4263.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
Han Solo in Carbonite is now completed. My wife is going to print me up the vinyl decals for the side panels and I will put them on at a later date. HIC is connected to the base by steel brackets and as a backup two ratcheting tie downs. I will be moving it into the house on Sunday.
IMG_4544.JPG

IMG_4549.JPG

IMG_4551.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4544.JPG
    IMG_4544.JPG
    984.6 KB · Views: 119
Farlowmag can you please describe in detail the wash technique with type and brand of paint you used? Also what color spray paint and what brand you used for Han?

Last edited:
Sure Can: I found a HIC build where I liked the colors and took the following from it:
1) Han = 7277830 Metallic Matte Nickel
2) Block Primer = 249418 Black Sandable Automotive Primer (4 coats, hand sanded between each coat with 1000 grit paper)
3) Panel Primer = 249088 Flat Grey Primer
4) Block = 7519 Stainless Steel (also applied 4 coats, hand sanded between each coat with 1000 grit paper)
5) Han = 7277830 Metallic Matte Nickel
6) Volvo Panels = 7715 Aluminum
7) Back of Block = 7776 Flat Black
8) Shiny Metal Greeblies = 7718 Chrome
9) Small dented greebs (nipples) = 7715 Aluminum (If you look closely at the small parts between the turn signal arrows on the dash boards, you will notice that they not all dark grey.)
10) Wider greebs (nipples) = 7519 Stainless Steel
11) U Clips = 7519 Stainless Steel
12) Rings = 7718 Chrome

For the wash I found that in another build. He had used a few colors but I only used black paint. I used black acrylic paint you can buy in AC Moore. I then mixed it with 5 Parts paint, 3 parts water and 1 part dish soap. I added a little more water if it appeared to be to thick when I experimented with it. I then painted the wash over a 1 foot by 1 foot area and then let it dry for 10 minutes. I then lightly wiped it off with a paper towel. If it dried to much I kept a cup of clean water near by to did the paper towel in to remove more paint if need be. Just make sure not to over soak the towel or you remove all the paint. I then clear coated Han and carbonite afterwards.

Here are some of the links I referenced:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=169984&page=3
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=87807&page=2
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=87807&page=2
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=87807
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=263477 (this is the one I pulled the wash from)

Great build.
You must be very pleased with how it's turned out.:thumbsup

Now sorry to thread jack, but can someone help me out?
Im having a tuff time finding any blueprints or demensions for the "box".
Can anyone point me in the right directions?
I know most people buy the kit, but coming from a family of wood and metal workers, I'd rather build it from scratch.
Thanks.
Robert

The side panels are mounted using magnets. I recessed earth magnets and glued them in with JB Weld. I then JB Welded magnets on the inside of the panels. This way if I ever move HIC I can remove the panels easily.

Having removable panels is a must!! I already had to remove mine twice on my HIC! Can't imagine what would have happened if they were fixed on there!!

:thumbsup

Last edited:
Having removable panels is a must!! I already had to remove mine twice on my HIC! Can't imagine what would have happened if they were fixed on there!!

:thumbsup

That's good to know, I'm close to attaching the panels and was going to glue them. Not anymore!

Check my build thread. I put magnets on the panels and metal washers on the box. The holds really well! I could have gone all magnets but just didn't have any and wasn't worth ordering more!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back